Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but I wonder whether restructure negotiations ever get into players asking for, and teams agreeing to, use of some of the saved cap room to acquire another player at a position favorable to the renegotiating player.

Example: Tyrod says I'll do this deal if you agree to strengthen the roster at WR or TE.

Not that this would ever be written down in contract form, but it would be interesting to hear what kind of quid pro quos go on in these types of negotiations.

Some lady who does the commercial reads on espn radio just stated Taylor took a 10 million dollar paycut over 2 years.

Guys only do that if they have interest from other teams. It's a negotiating tactic.

Edited by Bangarang

Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but I wonder whether restructure negotiations ever get into players asking for, and teams agreeing to, use of some of the saved cap room to acquire another player at a position favorable to the renegotiating player.

Example: Tyrod says I'll do this deal if you agree to strengthen the roster at WR or TE.

Not that this would ever be written down in contract form, but it would be interesting to hear what kind of quid pro quos go on in these types of negotiations.

You bring up an interesting scenario. I don't believe that TT has that type of leverage because of the caliber of qb he is. His primary concern is to make the roster. But the scenario that you bring up does exist in New England. Brady is willing to accept an under-valued contract with the understanding that the money he is foregoing is spread around to improve the roster. Because of his financial status and his household's status it makes more sense to not demand the maximum deal as long as it is used to maintain a SB contending team.

Compare the New England situation with Brady and the Indianapolis situation with Peyton? Because Peyton demanded a maximum deal it stripped away the resources needed to build a more talented roster. I'm not criticizing anyone for pursuing their individual interest in this comparison. But by Brady's willingness to be more flexible with his contract demands it has enabled his team to win more often.

You bring up an interesting scenario. I don't believe that TT has that type of leverage because of the caliber of qb he is. His primary concern is to make the roster. But the scenario that you bring up does exist in New England. Brady is willing to accept an under-valued contract with the understanding that the money he is foregoing is spread around to improve the roster. Because of his financial status and his household's status it makes more sense to not demand the maximum deal as long as it is used to maintain a SB contending team.

Compare the New England situation with Brady and the Indianapolis situation with Peyton? Because Peyton demanded a maximum deal it stripped away the resources needed to build a more talented roster. I'm not criticizing anyone for pursuing their individual interest in this comparison. But by Brady's willingness to be more flexible with his contract demands it has enabled his team to win more often.

I believe Brady still got his money because Kraft was funding a business owned by Brady. It was a devious loop hole which doesn't affect the salary cap.

I don't doubt this one second.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/20/bradys-business-and-partner-draw-more-scrutiny/

I believe Brady still got his money because Kraft was funding a business owned by Brady. It was a devious loop hole which doesn't affect the salary cap.

I don't doubt this one second.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/20/bradys-business-and-partner-draw-more-scrutiny/

I have no problem with Kraft giving a discount to Brady and his business for rental space at his mall. Brady has added value to the franchise and increased revenue and profits for the owner. Is this a backdoor payment? Maybe or maybe not. If it is a loophole in the system then it is permissible.

Winners win and losers make excuses. Being creative and enterprising is better than being unimaginative. That's why they win and we lose.

Should he get credit for solving a problem he created?

Yes...as a matter of fact he should

Nobody especially not the fans dont know the future...what happens if Tyrod biulds on that 1st year he started and they DONT do he contract....now we are paying out the batoot for a quality starting QB because action WASNT taken

That didnt happen...but Whaley still managed to get the team out of the bad situation

Yes he deserves credit

I am probably the biggest Whaley hater on the board. Or at least #2.

Signing TT early with option was a move made with the intention of protecting the franchise and giving them an out, as well as building goodwill. Now, if TT throws for 30 TD's and 7 picks in 2016, we had him locked up for nothing close to what he would get on the open market. And if he played the same or worse as 2015, we had our own out or paid him what he was worth. He played worse than 2015, and we managed to negotiate him down.

If we had had to cut him, oh well. Asking your QB to take a paycut is saying he's not good enough anyway, so having to cut him would've been no great loss.

I generally hate almost everything Whaley does. But I think he played this about as well as he could. There was potential for lots to go wrong, but that's what happens when QB's become FA's.

Nobody especially not the fans dont know the future...what happens if Tyrod biulds on that 1st year he started and they DONT do he contract....now we are paying out the batoot for a quality starting QB because action WASNT taken

That didnt happen...but Whaley still managed to get the team out of the bad situation

Yes he deserves credit

The counter argument is that if he improved in 2016, we would've maybe had to pay him more anyway.

But personally, I think there's pros and cons to both approaches.

It wasn't even a problem. He still made it better. Some people...

Joe B's take on the contract.

So I thought that Taylor would be our QB for at least the next two seasons but that may not be the case. It would depend on how well he plays and also the QB we draft for the future...how well he develops. I agree that this points to the Bills going after a QB of the future in this draft or the next. If I had to guess....1st or 2nd round in this draft.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/what-the-new-tyrod-taylor-contract-means-for-the-bills

Way for Joe B to go out a limb there. Taylor plays as long as he's good? Hmmmm, that's some quality insight.

those who criticize Whaley will not give him any credit for this contract but it's a great job

....as usual, plenty of expert "flies on the wall".....who the hell knows how the original deal went down with Whaley, OVERDORF and TT?......just will have to wait for the "flies" to FACTUALLY explain TT sitting in week 17, abrupt decision for surgery and him giving up 10 mil in restructure...gotta make a popcorn run because this should be good......

It wasn't even a problem. He still made it better. Some people...

Way for Joe B to go out a limb there. Taylor plays as long as he's good? Hmmmm, that's some quality insight.

At least he didn't say if we cut him we would be doing him a favor and he will double his salary elsewhere.

That take was white hot.

Yes he deserves credit

If if if if and if. The Tyrod Story.

You keep bringing this up like it means anything

Try harder

111 yards does mean nothing. I guess the browns scored 7 against the Ravens in November so we weren't alone.

It means a 10 million dollar Paycut.

No need to reply. This horse is beyond dead.

This one might be "harder"

I didn't even remember EJ Manuel having to finish the game with a score.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j698yPWaWQY&feature=onebox

Edited by Ryan L Billz