Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

Wow... whole lotta speculation here stated as fact.

But you're really wrong on your first sentence. The Bills, regardless of their committment to Taylor, had no need to pick up the remainder of his contract until March 11th. And with Taylor coming out and publicly stating that he would be willing to rework his deal (which he might regret now, depending on the reason he took less money), it would have been fiscally irresponsible for Buffalo to not try to get him to rework his deal.

And if your argument becomes, "well, picking up the option early demonstrates a committment to the QB and helps his psyche," well that's a pretty flimsy argument.

Isn't that exactly what you're being here?

You have absolutely no clue what was going to happen in Free Agency because it didn't happen.

In the end, the argument that it all boiled down to this offseason was whether Tyrod Taylor would be the Bills QB in 2017.

He is. Despite a whole lotta loud obnoxious ignorant argumentative know nothings who said otherwise.

Great another yahoo running around telling everybody their opinions on an opinion board are wrong. Ignorance is bliss, you've proved my point.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great another yahoo running around telling everybody their opinions on an opinion board are wrong. Ignorance is bliss, you've proved my point.

You have points...that would be a first

Good deal for everyone. There aren't a lot of situations where Tyrod could go and succeed (imo) but he just might keep improving here. He's good enough to win some games here and buys time to find the next QB if he never takes another step forward.

I don't know that Whaley gets the credit though as he seemed to drive the excessive contract in the first place. More likely McDermott had a positive evaluation and wanted to keep him but not at that salary and the finance guys were charged with renegotiating a deal. I guess we don't really know for sure.

This is a good post...and I agree with you hear

I feel that if TT would have gone to a team...say...the Browns he would not flourish. This whole thing was set up right down to bringing in Dennison as OC from the start.

Tyrod maintained contact with the coaches....he stuck around....IMO he wanted to come back because this is HIS team....he is the leader and the captain and a good one.

Towards the end of last year he was starting to use his TE......he needs to complete throws when the game is one the line more often for sure....but this is the best situation he could be in.

I have no doubt that most of what he said was genuine. I believe he's a team guy, and I'm sure there's things he likes about the OC and the team.

On the other hand...if you don't think that the Bills weren't ready to move on if Taylor didn't take a reduction in pay, and if you didn't think money was a factor for Taylor, then that's quite the leap.

Money is a main factor in nearly every athlete's thought process, and guys who are in their prime and haven't gotten that big payday are even less likely to pass up a significant amount of money. The timing even leads you to believe that Taylor held off on this until his agent got to discuss what other teams were willing to pay during the combine where these things get talked about, and that he didn't get quite the interest he anticipated, so he decided to stick with what he already has here.

I just find the story that he just decided to be the ultimate team guy and pass up tens of millions guaranteed in order to stay in Buffalo a less believable and less logical conclusion to arrive at.

It does make for a real cute story, though.

Let's just agree to disagree. We're talking around each other about something neither of us could possibly know about: Motive

In the end, Taylor wouldn't still be the Buffalo Bills starter if the new coaching staff didn't have confidence they can make the playoffs and be a contender in 2017 after thoroughly evaluating upon arrival.

That's what matters.

Teams think about money, obviously. So either you or I could be right; there's good evidence both ways.

But NFL franchises and owners (good ones at least... and I think we're all assuming the Pegulas fall into this category) think about winning first

You have points...that would be a first

This is a good post...and I agree with you hear

I feel that if TT would have gone to a team...say...the Browns he would not flourish. This whole thing was set up right down to bringing in Dennison as OC from the start.

Tyrod maintained contact with the coaches....he stuck around....IMO he wanted to come back because this is HIS team....he is the leader and the captain and a good one.

Towards the end of last year he was starting to use his TE......he needs to complete throws when the game is one the line more often for sure....but this is the best situation he could be in.

Good post John,

The new O was Taylor made for Tyrod IMO...

Let's just agree to disagree. We're talking around each other about something neither of us could possibly know about: Motive

In the end, Taylor wouldn't still be the Buffalo Bills starter if the new coaching staff didn't have confidence they can make the playoffs and be a contender in 2017 after thoroughly evaluating upon arrival.

That's what matters.

Teams think about money, obviously. So either you or I could be right; there's good evidence both ways.

But NFL franchises and owners (good ones at least... and I think we're all assuming the Pegulas fall into this category) think about winning first

If money was the contributing factor the Pegula's would not have handed out the most signing bonus money of any NFL team in their first year....after paying billions for the team itself.

How is taking the high paying contract working out for Osweiler? Do you think he has higher career potential than Tyrod at this point?

Tyrod is playing the long game trying to turn the team into a contender, and then he will be paid accordingly. He believes he can be a contender more than he is trying to fleece the organization out of its money. Is that really so hard to believe? It could easily turn out that he was wrong, and he isn't a contender, and he ends up making less money overall but he seems to be a very reasonable guy and is ok with taking that chance because he believes in himself.

Come on where are all the economics graduates who were lecturing me about supply and demand not two days ago to defend a contract that was not market value??

I said the contract should end up like the Bradford deal and it basically did but flipped (Bradford's was 2 years similar money but bigger hit in year 1).

Seems some of you didn't understand the concept of market value as well as you thought.

This deal is a high end bridge Quarterback contract. The previous contract was not and hence it did not represent market value.

They are called the Nattering Nabobs of Negativity. They work hard for that distinction, please do not remove that honor from them

I'd be a little bit careful with that "Nattering Nabobs of Negativity" crap... The last man known to have used it (Atty General - John Mitchell) ended up going to prison after being convicted of Conspiracy, Perjury and Obstruction of Justice...

I promise you if you stick to football and don't troll, you have half-decent logic to back up your stance, nobody is going to punish you for posting your takes, different as they may be. People who only like to hear things they consider to be encouraging will freak out, but my advice is try not to engage in the personal crap, just stick to football and you'll be fine no matter what. I believe its called taking the high road.

Good advice. It's policy as well.

Taylor sticking around in the offseason, talking to the new coach. Tells me a lot about him, and why I am happy he's here. Sure, it's doesn't mean he will take the next step, but all the other QB options sucked, and you can't tank in the NFL like you can in the NHL. So the fans who wanted to "suck for Luck", are friggin clueless. How has that worked out for Indy exactly? They will never even go to a SB with that QB.

Everyone is gushing over The Browns right now, but lets see where they are in 5 years, I bet they still suck, and all the tanking and buying up stupid contracts will be for naught.

I'd be a little bit careful with that "Nattering Nabobs of Negativity" crap... The last man known to have used it (Atty General - John Mitchell) ended up going to prison after being convicted of Conspiracy, Perjury and Obstruction of Justice...

It's a running 'thing' here..

So Tyrod "told (his) agent to find a way to make things work here,"

says

there were other teams showing interest, but that he "chose" to restructure his contract

says

"My commitment is to this team, to this community, to get a winning product on the field."

Raves about the "very player friendly system" Dennison runs talking specifically about success McCoy and Watkins can have in it

says

"The main thing throughout the process was that me and Coach McDermott were able to keep an open line of communication," said Taylor. "If I needed to talk to him about something I could call him. Things were difficult sometimes with trying to move money around and trying to find what was best for the team. But ultimately we were able to get it done and I'm happy that we got it done."

and even Vic Carucci tweets that Tyrod "chose to restructure" to help the Bills add pieces

Yet, we are required to assume that it's more logical that he was focused primarily on money rather than his competitive nature to finish what he started and build a playoff contender with a group of players and a city he really seems to love?

Taylor is now guaranteed less money than Mike Glennon, so by the logic of some here, teams were telling his agent they thought less of Taylor than Glennon...

Yeah, okay...

I think there's something to the actual words coming out of Taylor's mouth. All that speculation posters are doing to console themselves is entertaining, though, so keep going...

Look - you Crusher and JM can all go round and round - it certainly happened enough everywhere else.

You both have thoughts that are partially proven, but TT did say specifically when one of the reporters asked and TT had him repeat the question - he started to talk about "informal" discussions and then dropped that line and said I know what you are doing. To me that implied exactly what Crusher said about his agent had some discussions with other teams - be it tampering or not - he got a feeling for his market value.

Point two in that was he specifically stated his decision to restructure was made 2 days ago - so although he had been meeting and talking with the coaching staff - something clicked 2 days ago that made him realize a restructure here was better than the open market. I think that had to do with two thing: money and team.

I think he realized from his "informal" discussions that his value was less than he thought and he realized his best fit and chance to start was in Buffalo - so they blinked and he restructured to a significant pay decrease that pays him comparable to his passing position in the league.

I think TT has a chance in this offense to put up some better numbers than in the previous offense, but I still think he is very limited in what he can do. This played out about as perfectly as it could for the Bills - they eliminated the signing bonus money that was causing the dead cap space - which was what many people disliked about the old contract and have created a year to year deal allowing his play to determine his length of time as the Bills starting QB rather than the money.

Taylor sticking around in the offseason, talking to the new coach. Tells me a lot about him, and why I am happy he's here. Sure, it's doesn't mean he will take the next step, but all the other QB options sucked, and you can't tank in the NFL like you can in the NHL. So the fans who wanted to "suck for Luck", are friggin clueless. How has that worked out for Indy exactly? They will never even go to a SB with that QB.

Everyone is gushing over The Browns right now, but lets see where they are in 5 years, I bet they still suck, and all the tanking and buying up stupid contracts will be for naught.

I don't know, but the Colts have made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years that Luck has been healthy and gone as far as the championship game. Typically it takes a team like NE to beat them in the playoffs- so I would say they have been fairly successful. I would take that in a heart beat and if you eliminate Brady - they probably have at least 1 SB trip. Of course if you eliminated Brady - the Bills probably make the playoffs at least once in the last 17 years.

They also fell into the situation and did not try to suck for Luck, but an injury to Manning made it possible.

I am not a fan of tanking, but I also think that if you are not going to be good enough to win - a la the NYJs this year - you are better off looking at ways to eliminate your bad contracts and get your team situated for the future rather than just doing the same thing over and over.

Look - you Crusher and JM can all go round and round - it certainly happened enough everywhere else.

You both have thoughts that are partially proven, but TT did say specifically when one of the reporters asked and TT had him repeat the question - he started to talk about "informal" discussions and then dropped that line and said I know what you are doing. To me that implied exactly what Crusher said about his agent had some discussions with other teams - be it tampering or not - he got a feeling for his market value.

Point two in that was he specifically stated his decision to restructure was made 2 days ago - so although he had been meeting and talking with the coaching staff - something clicked 2 days ago that made him realize a restructure here was better than the open market. I think that had to do with two thing: money and team.

I think he realized from his "informal" discussions that his value was less than he thought and he realized his best fit and chance to start was in Buffalo - so they blinked and he restructured to a significant pay decrease that pays him comparable to his passing position in the league.

I think TT has a chance in this offense to put up some better numbers than in the previous offense, but I still think he is very limited in what he can do. This played out about as perfectly as it could for the Bills - they eliminated the signing bonus money that was causing the dead cap space - which was what many people disliked about the old contract and have created a year to year deal allowing his play to determine his length of time as the Bills starting QB rather than the money.

There's a reason why he said "I'm not taking less guaranteed money" and then took a lot less guaranteed money. ;)

There's a reason why he said "I'm not taking less guaranteed money" and then took a lot less guaranteed money. ;)

You might want to actually quote people if you're going to use quotes. It was reported that he was unwilling to take a paycut, but was willing to negotiate structure. Also, there were no direct quotes from him on the subject or in any of those reports.

You might want to actually quote people if you're going to use quotes. It was reported that he was unwilling to take a paycut, but was willing to negotiate structure. Also, there were no direct quotes from him on the subject or in any of those reports.

He didn't take a paycut?

Fair point on the quotes.

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure