Tyrod's new restructured contract - the details

I don't think there was any commitment on the Bills part. If there was they would have just picked up the remainder of the original contract.

To me this was plan B or C or D.

Yup, the only place he was guaranteed to start was Buffalo. Him and his agent quickly found that out a couple days ago.

He would have been the favorite to start in Cleveland, SF & NYJ. But they probably weren't going to pay him more than $15mil/season, so it's in his best interest to stay in Buffalo.

I'm glad how this turned into a win win for both parties, unlike the Mexican standoff with Fitz in '13

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He would have been the favorite to start in Cleveland, SF & NYJ. But they probably weren't going to pay him more than $15mil/season, so it's in his best interest to stay in Buffalo.

I'm glad how this turned into a win win for both parties, unlike the Mexican standoff with Fitz in '13

Fair enough but still a far cry from the other half dozen or more good teams that were supposed to be fighting for his services like a lot of others around here were saying.

Remember when everyone was saying Tyrod was going to break the bank as a FA! Nope, didn't happen and was never going to happen. Loud obnoxious ignorant argumentative know nothings are really annoying.

Fair enough but still a far cry from the other half dozen or more good teams that were supposed to be fighting for his services like a lot of others around here were saying.

Remember when everyone was saying Tyrod was going to break the bank as a FA! Nope, didn't happen and was never going to happen. Loud obnoxious ignorant argumentative know nothings are really annoying.

To be honest, where did you hear that?

The only teams with possible interest were those 3, plus maybe Broncos. Once it became more obvious that Romo is headed to Denver, then it was down to 3.

Here is a not so great stat.... Since 2015, Taylor is 2-10 vs teams that made the playoffs that season, 12-4 vs teams that didn't make the playoffs that season. :(

How much did Rex's defense contribute to that stat? When you average 25pts/gm and still lose a lot, guess what? It's not your offense that sucks.

To be honest, where did you hear that?

The only teams with possible interest were those 3, plus maybe Broncos. Once it became more obvious that Romo is headed to Denver, then it was down to 3.

Many of US cheered Tyrod's last contract till we found out about the injury clause. Then we mostly turned again upon Whaley and Overdorf with teeth bared.

Then it became a non issue.

I will wait to judge the contract. But I think it was a good call. Even if it was plan B. I would prefer to think it was not though.

On Tissue paper it looks like Bills played it very smartly

Edited by 3rdand12

I don't think there was any commitment on the Bills part. If there was they would have just picked up the remainder of the original contract.

To me this was plan B or C or D.

Yup, the only place he was guaranteed to start was Buffalo. Him and his agent quickly found that out a couple days ago.

Loyalty to the team may have entered into the equation old school.

Tyrod Taylor comes across to me as a guy that doesn't give up very easily IMO.

Per Vic Carucci (who's on Sirius now), the reason Ty took the restructure because after talking with the Jets, Browns, 49ers they didn't put any numbers out there that made the restructure unpalatable.

The Bills wanted Ty back, but not at the cost of the original extension...

Cap hit isn't getting kicked down the road. Tyrod took a massive pay cut.

This was a massive win for the Bills, and seems to indicate there wasn't much of a market for Tyrod outside of Buffalo.......you don't take that type of paycut unless there's no where else to turn. I always thought reports of other teams ready to make a run at Tyrod were being overblown.

honestly im finding it hard to believe they could get this out of tyrod. even if the market was cool on him you would think he could do better than this. massive pay cut is right, and yet another easy out for the bills in two years. incredible win for the bills. never thought it would end up this good for the team

Have to wonder if the Bills threatened to ship him to Cleveland. He would be immediately concussed or even die behind that OL so he chose his memories/life.

thats a hell of a point. if they are working out a deal with cleveland that must have felt like a pending trip to syberia for tyrod. we probably never will find out but thats quite possibly a realistic guess

honestly im finding it hard to believe they could get this out of tyrod. even if the market was cool on him you would think he could do better than this. massive pay cut is right, and yet another easy out for the bills in two years. incredible win for the bills. never thought it would end up this good for the team

thats a hell of a point. if they are working out a deal with cleveland that must have felt like a pending trip to syberia for tyrod. we probably never will find out but thats quite possibly a realistic guess

Posturing

Well done OBD

Cap hit isn't getting kicked down the road. Tyrod took a massive pay cut.

He was due $27.5M in year 1 and $40.5M over 2 yrs under the old deal

He is now due $14.5M in year 1 and $30M over 2 years. He basically took a $13M paycut this year.

This was a massive win for the Bills, and seems to indicate there wasn't much of a market for Tyrod outside of Buffalo.......you don't take that type of paycut unless there's no where else to turn. I always thought reports of other teams ready to make a run at Tyrod were being overblown.

I never hated Tyrod, but I did hate his old deal. It had way too much cash for a middling QB. His new deal is much more in line with his value, so I'm okay with it. Still don't like the player, but I do like the value of the contract now.

I think it's weird the way some folks are trying to comfort themselves here.

#1: It's clear that our new Head Coach views our much-maligned QB as a QB he can "win-now" with

#2: Tyrod Taylor is familiar with and has only started for one NFL team: the Buffalo Bills

#3: While the Bills have a new HC, the new OC runs a system Taylor is very familiar with and is tailored (hah) to his strengths

#4: As far as we know so far, most of the personnel on offense outside of the WR corps will be the same

#5: Agents negotiating with or talking to other NFL teams is not allowed by NFL rules and is considered tampering

#6: We can't read Tyrod Taylor's mind

Now, I really don't care what happened.

If tampering did occur and Taylor found out there's less out in the open market than in Buffalo and so he decided to stay: wonderful!

If Taylor just decided to take a lot less money (still waiting on all those contract details... ?) to stay with Buffalo for whatever reason (familiarity with city and fans, familiarity with offensive personnel, familiarity with OC and offensive system, competitive desire to "finish what he started" and bring a winner to a city that hasn't won in so long, any combination of those, etc.): fantastic!

We don't know. Taylor evidently has a PC today, so maybe he sheds some light on some of this. But for me at least, the moment Taylor said at the end of the regular season in locker clean out day (I think) that he would consider reworking his contract (I'm paraphrasing), this was going to be a big game of chicken up until the March 11th deadline. It would have been irresponsible for Whaley and Overdorf and Co. having heard that statement publicly from Taylor, to not try to rework his deal. But I thought it was inevitable that someone would flinch and that Taylor would be back.

So, what did we see over the last few months? Lots and lots and lots of the media and "experts" saying pretty much that it was inevitable that he would be gone. Seems to me like a great way to test Taylor to see how steadfast he is on the money and/or how much he wants to be back. For me, Taylor just flinched first and lost the game of chicken. Personally, I think the Bills were prepared to exercise his option by this weekend if he didn't, but obviously that's just speculation... we'll never know. Or, maybe he just truly is a team guy and saw the Cap trouble the team was in and wanted to help. And sure, it's possible that feelers went out and he saw less money on the open market.

Who knows?

Who cares?

Tyrod Taylor is still the Buffalo Bills starting QB, despite so many saying he would inevitably be gone.

@jasonlacanfora

Tyrod Taylor's re-done deal with the Bills is for 2yrs, $30.5M (rest of it voids), $15.5M guar. Makes $14.5 this year, would make $16M in 18

Factor in the $7 Mil signing bonus

Tyrod Taylor signed a 2 year, $30,500,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $7,000,000 signing bonus, $15,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,250,000. In 2017, Taylor will earn a base salary of $7,500,000 and a signing bonus of $7,000,000. Taylor has a cap hit of $9,713,334 while his dead money value is $17,353,334.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan