The Rick Dennison offense

"My maker" are you trying to make this about religion???? I can see why you were cautious.

The only problem with the current contract situation as I understand it, is there isn't really a path to one more year to vindicate. It's move on or commit to at least $30 mil worth of seasons. Not that I don't think it's the right play. After years of horrendous QB play... Trent, Thad, Fritz... not too bad is just sooooo much more watchable.

Btw how rough was this other forum. I bet they even discouraged sarcasm...

Honestly - that is the reason for the Bill's being split I believe.

If you sign the extension - it is at minimum for 2, but more likely 3 years before you can move on.

I think TT has the potential to be a good fit in this offense, but with his limitations- he could also struggle and if you go all in and sign the extension- I personally believe it changes the Bills thought process on drafting a QB.

Therefore this decision has long range impact - so the Bills are going to give it time and see if anything frees up that gives them a chance at comparable play for less money and if not then TT will be back. I think they are playing it right.

Chris Trapasso did a nice write up of it here: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/20/14331974/rick-dennison-buffalo-bills-offensive-coordinator-tyrod-taylor-all-22

Highlights include

• Purely zone blocking as opposed to Roman's hybrid system and very little pulling
  • A lot of stretch plays and fullback blocking
  • A lot of bootleg plays
  • plenty of trips formations
  • focus on short passes with high YAC (ideally with Sammy and Shady)

Honestly, I think Tyrod is well suited to the offense. I keep hearing things like "oh, he doesn't meet my eye test" and he certainly has flaws, but short passes have never been the problem, it's the intermediate ones he tends to leave on the table.

Honestly - that is the reason for the Bill's being split I believe.

If you sign the extension - it is at minimum for 2, but more likely 3 years before you can move on.

I think TT has the potential to be a good fit in this offense, but with his limitations- he could also struggle and if you go all in and sign the extension- I personally believe it changes the Bills thought process on drafting a QB.

Therefore this decision has long range impact - so the Bills are going to give it time and see if anything frees up that gives them a chance at comparable play for less money and if not then TT will be back. I think they are playing it right.

Yes this is a tough call .... but you can't kill your cap for mediocrity ... drafting in the top 15 for 8 of the last 12 years (not counting the lost 1st pick on Watkins trade) with only one top 5 pick (net of aforementioned Watkins trade up to 4) of which we chose Dareus ... isn't moving the can we win in our own division needle. My point is the Dennison offensive has worked with mediocre QB play (end of Manning, Simeon) with Houston (Schaub, TJ Yates, Case Keenum) .. they have good defenses and strong running games, and a premier wideouts (Andre Johnson, Demarius Thomas). I drank the Tyrod kool aid early, but as other post show ... he can't put the team on his back and deliver the comeback in the 4th quarter. Stock the defense, pair (knock on wood) finally a healthy Sammie and with WR Zay Jones (as Joe B's article yesterday in his mock draft in round 2). If Tyrod doesn't resign with a massive pay cut ... let him go and maybe look at Watson at #10 or TRADE BACK ... please ... let's learn something from Bill B .. and go back in the draft if we are not sold ... someone will pay up to get to #10. New England's dominance aside .... our issue is not winning in the division ... NE dominance aside .. we have been 3rd or 4th (or lower when 5 teams) in 15 of the past 17 seasons ... I'm am tired on not kicking Miami and Jets consistently.

I was frustrated with TTs play last season BUT can't help but feel that those frustrations were better directed to the coaching rather than the player.

For instance, TT not throwing the ball away to avoid a sack. I said many times last seson, "How on earth does a QB get to the NFL and not know to throw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack?

Somehow, it is easier to believe that "tho MUST NOT turn over the ball" was the FIRST COMMANDMENT.

Also, regarding coaching, gadget plays and trickery seem to be plays called by coaches that don't have confidence in their team. "I don't think we can punch this ball over the goal line, so maybe we can give the ball to the player who would be least expected to get the ball in this circumstance".

How much of TTs play simply reflected an insecure coaching staff? I think that same kind of insecurity cause ATL to lose the SB - IMHO.

I am VERY curious what a new coaching staff can do with TT and I hope to see what Team McD can do.

Edited by cd1

With Tyrod at QB the offense will be designed and operate similar to the Seattle O. Lots of rolling out with run/pass options (or at least the appearance of it), quick timing, and some explosive plays mixed in when opportunities present themselves. If it's Foles, Culter, etc. ( :sick: ). Expect the design to be closer to the Houston Offense with Schaub, Johnson, and Foster.

McCoy will be run to death. The passing will either be double hooks or play action go routes. The Bills will have less than a dozen plays because first year offenses are horrible.

2015 was a first year offense. We were 13th in yards, 12th in points, and 9th in DVOA. Doesn't seem horrible.

Also, a benefit of keeping Tyrod, he practiced this system for a year with Kubiak and Dennison in Baltimore.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Honestly...

A smart , mobile QB who moves the chains and doesn't turn the ball over

Yet can push the ball downfield when presented

Sounds like we need Pat Mahomes. Now that would be a QB he could mold plus in my opinion it fits his style offense to a tee

Even with an improved defense if they go with Foles or a Hoyer they'll lose at least 10 games.

I think Foles could manage in the style offense we are going to run.

Hoyer would make me sad. Something about him just screams "maybe next year".

His offense needs a QB that can read the defense pre snap, and throw with anticipation. Two things Taylor cant do. 3,5, 7 step drops, rollouts etc. You do NOT Need a "Mobile" QB for this system. Hell Peyton Freaking Manning did rollouts and he cant run the 20 in 5 minutes!!

Stop already.

Foles could easily run this system.

As a bridge QB, damn straight he could

Foles could easily run this system.

If we are dead set on cutting Tyrod, Foles isn't the worst choice. I honestly think he's Tyrod lite: not as mobile, good accuracy on short throws, can stretch the field with deep bombs but has trouble throwing intermediate over the middle and doesn't turn the ball over a ton.

If you want a vet backup, or you need a rookie QB to ride the bench for a year, I don't think he's the worst. But by no means is he a step up from Tyrod.

I think Taylor is better than anyone coming out of college or in the free agent market. Is he the long term answer? no. I would like to see what Taylor can do with the new offense but I would not be against picking a QB in the draft. I would like to use the #10 pick on a WR or Defense.

I can go either way with Tyrod. Going into the season with Tyrod, Mahomes and CJ would be pretty awesome ..... or Tyrod, Watson, Jones .... or McCown, Mahomes, Jones, etc.... The list goes on. We do need to snag one of these young guns in the first though.

Go Bills!!!!!

His offense needs a QB that can read the defense pre snap, and throw with anticipation. Two things Taylor cant do. 3,5, 7 step drops, rollouts etc. You do NOT Need a "Mobile" QB for this system. Hell Peyton Freaking Manning did rollouts and he cant run the 20 in 5 minutes!!

Stop already.

Stop already.

Peyton manning was in the system for 1 year and has the worst year of his career outside his rookie year

Dennison wants a mobile guy

He is a Shanahan disciple

Shanahan ALWAYS loved a mobile QB

Elway- Mobile

-Jake Plummr - mobile

Bob Griese- Mobile

Jay Cutler- Mobile

RG3 - Mobile

Edited by Buffalo716