It is not about who is better than Tyrod, RIGHT NOW.

How did Tyrod "Developing" Under a probowl QB on a team that went to and won a superbowl work out? Just draft the kid and play him.

Developing is different when you are working off game tape every week instead of watching the starter play, and is hindered to some degree by changing offenses. Keep TT starting, cardale backing up and draft a guy in the 2nd or later if the value is there. TT runs the risk of getting injured anyway and cardale will get some game reps if that happens to determine if he can do it or not. If he can we're good, if he can't we'll get a higher draft pick.

My only concern with that is the difference in styles between tt and cj, so I might be tempted to bring in a veteran if dumping tt or rookie if dumping cj that come closer in style so there is a more seemless transition to the backup qb. Not a requirement, but I think Dennison would prefer to rework the offense as little as possible in case of injury.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But who cares? He'd be under contract and he'd have every opportunity to still prove he should be the guy.

Most importantly, he'd eat up a LOT of cap space. We have two choices - cut TT and draft a QB or run with TT and hope we can patch together a playoff roster this year. We are really tight on cap space once TT is signed. It is impacting other positions already (see Gilly).

That would really undermine Tyrod. It'd be a clear indication that he's just an expensive bridge and it'd make it known that he is not in the team's long term plans. It'd be better to just find a cheaper bridge QB and draft away at the position.

This is not an unimportant aspect to the entire concept of the "bridge QB."

That would really undermine Tyrod. It'd be a clear indication that he's just an expensive bridge and it'd make it known that he is not in the team's long term plans. It'd be better to just find a cheaper bridge QB and draft away at the position.

Who cares?! Maybe it pushes him to get better, and if he doesn't he knows his jobs on the line. Nothing brings out performance better than a little heat under the butt.

Developing is different when you are working off game tape every week instead of watching the starter play, and is hindered to some degree by changing offenses. Keep TT starting, cardale backing up and draft a guy in the 2nd or later if the value is there. TT runs the risk of getting injured anyway and cardale will get some game reps if that happens to determine if he can do it or not. If he can we're good, if he can't we'll get a higher draft pick.

My only concern with that is the difference in styles between tt and cj, so I might be tempted to bring in a veteran if dumping tt or rookie if dumping cj that come closer in style so there is a more seemless transition to the backup qb. Not a requirement, but I think Dennison would prefer to rework the offense as little as possible in case of injury.

I don't think the money is the biggest "expense" of keeping TT. I think it is the draftpick you can't afford to spend on a QB because of being so tight to the cap.

Welcome to the merger :) (jk bbmb people)

Is that why there are so many new people? Did it shut down or something? I thought people were just excited about the upcoming deadline haha.

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked closer at a few of the other topics. Weird.

Edited by What a Tuel

I don't think the money is the biggest "expense" of keeping TT. I think it is the draftpick you can't afford to spend on a QB because of being so tight to the cap.

The rookie wage scale has eliminated that concern entirely. Even for teams with less cap room to spend.

That said, it is perfectly reasonable for the Bills to think that the dollars earmarked for TT might be better used elsewhere if the determination is made that keeping TT doesn't have enough long range up side and those dollars could be better used to make a more dramatic improvement elsewhere.

Did you mean to reply to Barley instead of me? I didn't mention expense. It's not a concern for me with regard to tt, I think the numbers are manageable if we want to commit to him for 2-3 years. Which I think we should, until we find someone better. We need to give Mac daddy something to work with to turn the culture around here.

Money IS the issue here with keeping TT! You don't pay a "bridge QB" $15 million per season... Once you determine that TT is not "the guy" you need to move on... Draft one of the top 4 QB's mentioned in the draft, whichever one you think stands the best chance of success... bring in a cheap vet to hold the seat warm while the rookie adjusts to the NFL game... or if Whaley thinks AJ McCarron might be the answer trade for him... This presumes that the Bills front office knows a good young QB when they see one (I have my doubts about that part but hey...)

The money you save can go to rebuilding other parts of this team...

I will gladly volunteer to be undermined for $30 million. :) SIGN ME UP!

But a cheaper option probably would "improve" our draft status for next year with a better crop of QB's. Trading back this year could add some ammo too.

"Woe is me, I am but a bridge....." :cry:

Competition is a very good thing........didn't undermine Montana or Favre having even more gifted young players obviously being groomed behind them.......it inspired them.

Money IS the issue here with keeping TT! You don't pay a "bridge QB" $15 million per season... Once you determine that TT is not "the guy" you need to move on... Draft one of the top 4 QB's mentioned in the draft, whichever one you think stands the best chance of success... bring in a cheap vet to hold the seat warm while the rookie adjusts to the NFL game... or if Whaley thinks AJ McCarron might be the answer trade for him... This presumes that the Bills front office knows a good young QB when they see one (I have my doubts about that part but hey...)

The money you save can go to rebuilding other parts of this team...

Sorry, I'm not looking to do what the Jets are doing at qb, I'd rather follow the Steelers big ben model. You take your shot with tt, there are plenty of other contracts that can be adjusted to get players. We are not living with the "cash-to-cap" crap anymore. You lookout for a qb and take one if he's a good value, but no tanking for a pipe dream. Things change during the course of a season.

but it would be known that the cheaper bridge QB is a bridge QB...we can't let the Russians have that information.

Most importantly, he'd eat up a LOT of cap space. We have two choices - cut TT and draft a QB or run with TT and hope we can patch together a playoff roster this year. We are really tight on cap space once TT is signed. It is impacting other positions already (see Gilly).

He doesn't eat up a lot of cap space at all, actually. 9.5% is NOT a lot of cap space for a QB.

Eli and Flacco were above 15% of the cap space for their teams last year. Heck, Alex Smith was close to 12%.

He doesn't eat up a lot of cap space at all, actually. 9.5% is NOT a lot of cap space for a QB.

Eli and Flacco were above 15% of the cap space for their teams last year. Heck, Alex Smith was close to 12%.

Any day now and it will all be over. We beat this topic down hardcore on BBMB. There are pro's and cons to both sides, I'm all for what the new coaching staff decides and will support it. That said, they better address the position very early in future drafts or I might have to drop this damn dish off my roof.

Edited by Real McCoy

Any day now and it will all be over. We beat this topic down hardcore on BBMB. There are pro's and cons to both sides, I'm all for what the new coaching staff decides and will support it. That said, they better address the position very early in future drafts or I might have to drop this damn dish off my roof.

Agreed.

I just can't wait til March 12th so we know what will happen. I think we should keep him, but if we cut Taylor, I'll get all kinds of excited about the draft in terms of what QB we're going after.