No Franchise Tag for Gilmore

YoloinOhio

I think a sign of good GM's is having a keen sense of what a players worth is and knowing when to let a player walk. I have my concerns about Doug Whaley, like many on this board, but I do have to give him credit where credit is due. Given the benefit of hindsight, he has done a stellar job of not overpaying many payers that have left Buffalo:

Jairus Byrd

Andy LeVitre

C.J. Spiller

Da'Norris Searcy

All 4 of these players were very good to good players for the Bills, but you can't keep everybody.

I view Gilmore as the same type of player. He's good, not great. He's not a blue chip, game breaking defensive player, IMO....and if you're not that, then you don't deserve the money Gilmore will get on the open market. I will be happy to take the 3rd round comp pick in '18 and save the $14M-$15M per year and redistribute that money elsewhere on the roster.

Side note: I'll also be happy to take the 5th round comp. pick in '18 for losing Robert Woods. Woods defines an average/replaceable player. There is no reason to pay a player like that $5+M per year, which is what I think he will get on the open market. If we could get him back for $3.5M or so per year I'd be okay with that, but I think he and the Bills both know that won't be happening.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a sign of good GM's is having a keen sense of what a players worth is and knowing when to let a player walk. I have my concerns about Doug Whaley, like many on this board, but I do have to give him credit where credit is due. Given the benefit of hindsight, he has done a stellar job of not overpaying many payers that have left Buffalo:

Jairus Byrd

Andy LeVitre

C.J. Spiller

Da'Norris Searcy

All 4 of these players were very good to good players for the Bills, but you can't keep everybody.

I view Gilmore as the same type of player. He's good, not great. He's not a blue chip, game breaking defensive player, IMO....and if you're not that, then you don't deserve the money Gilmore will get on the open market. I will be happy to take the 3rd round comp pick in '18 and save the $14M-$15M per year and redistribute that money elsewhere on the roster.

Side note: I'll also be happy to take the 5th round comp. pick in '18 for losing Robert Woods. Woods defines an average/replaceable player. There is no reason to pay a player like that $5+M per year, which is what I think he will get on the open market. If we could get him back for $3.5M or so per year I'd be okay with that, but I think he and the Bills both know that won't be happening.

Doug Whaley offered Byrd and Spiller contracts. Spiller got offered $5M per.

Doug Whaley offered Byrd and Spiller contracts. Spiller got offered $5M per.

So.....he offered them LESS than other teams would offer. Maybe that was the actual market rates, or closer to it. Never know how they might have been used in another system. What have we learned by that? Doug offered them less than others. You also want to blame him for offering less? Blame him for who he signs, AND for who he doesn't. I like the consistency. Maybe you deserve the job!

So.....he offered them LESS than other teams would offer. Maybe that was the actual market rates, or closer to it. Never know how they might have been used in another system. What have we learned by that? Doug offered them less than others. You also want to blame him for offering less? Blame him for who he signs, AND for who he doesn't. I like the consistency. Maybe you deserve the job!

They pulled Spillers contract when they traded for McCoy. CJ was on the set on NFL Network live when it got announced, kind of awkward

Spiller's market rate has always been and is zero dollars to anyone with eyes.

The only reason we didn't sign CJ was because drunk Chip called Doug.

Edited by FireChan

Whether you get comp picks depends of number of free agents you sign and "quality". If Bills concentrated on not getting free agents at end of contracts but those cut, etc. Bills might get cuts but they have not been successful recently and they have a lot of players they need to sign.

Spiller's market rate has always been and is zero dollars to anyone with eyes.

The only reason we didn't sign CJ was because drunk Chip called Doug.

Thank you, "zero dollars" offers great insight into your objectivity and the value of the post. Mr Has Always Been a Zero Dollar Guy had a pretty damn good year or two, when used right. But, again, you refuse to be anything but a negative extremist. Consistency is comforting to some.

I'd have franchised Gilmore and put Dareus on the trading block to try to free up some cash. I have no confidence that Dareus won't find a way to get suspended before September. Gilmore is a professional. Marcel not so much.

The comp pick formula is technically secret, as it's never been revealed. Per Over the Cap:

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Thank you, "zero dollars" offers great insight into your objectivity and the value of the post. Mr Has Always Been a Zero Dollar Guy had a pretty damn good year or two, when used right. But, again, you refuse to be anything but a negative extremist. Consistency is comforting to some.

CJ Spiller hasn't scored a rushing TD since 2013. Hasn't played a full season since 2012. Has been on 4 teams in 3 years. Hasn't rushed for over 300 yards since 2013. His highest YPC has been 3.8, in 2014.

He has had Payton, Chan and whoever Seattle's OC is for the last 3 years and has been absolute trash. He sucks. The flash in the pan year was exactly that. Why this is still a discussion is crazy.

Edited by FireChan

Looking at my top 50 board for Buffalo, that seems where the value for them at CB in this draft, lots of strong zone corners in that range. Dre Kirkpatrick in FA could be a solid get IMO at a much lesser cost than Gilmore and be a better schematic fit?

I like this approach. Get Kirkpatrick (or even bring back Cockrell) and draft Adams in the 1st. No need to break the bank to the tune of 14 million a year on a guy (Gillmore) who only plays 100% sometimes. Use the savings to keep other important guys (Zac Brown, Gory, even keeping R. Woods would be nice).

Edited by RyanC883

CJ Spiller hasn't scored a rushing TD since 2013. Hasn't played a full season since 2012. Has been on 4 teams in 3 years. Hasn't rushed for over 300 yards since 2013. His highest YPC has been 3.8, in 2014.

He has had Payton, Chan and whoever Seattle's OC is for the last 3 years and has been absolute trash. He sucks. The flash in the pan year was exactly that. Why this is still a discussion is crazy.

Maybe, if you'd read more closely, due to your hyperbole. ZERO? He's worth less than some UDFA signed to return kicks? You wouldn't have him for "zero dollars"? Money we could spend elsewhere? He showed more than those guys, and used properly could have continued to do something more than he did. I'm not a staunch CJ supporter by ANY means, but just not big on constant haters. Edited by Augie

Whether you get comp picks depends of number of free agents you sign and "quality". If Bills concentrated on not getting free agents at end of contracts but those cut, etc. Bills might get cuts but they have not been successful recently and they have a lot of players they need to sign.

You're absolutely right, which is why it's imperative that the Bills sign 1 less FA than they lose to ensure they lock in that 3rd round comp. pick. Losing a quality player hurts. Saving all the cash helps. Getting a free 3rd round comp. pick really helps. Let's hope One Bills Drive fully understands that and doesn't blow the free 3rd round comp. pick.

Maybe, if you'd read more closely, due to your hyperbole. ZERO? He's worth less than some UDFA signed to return kicks? You wouldn't have him for "zero dollars"? Money we could spend elsewhere? He showed more than those guys, and used properly could have continued to do something more than he did. I'm not a staunch CJ supporter by ANY means, but just not big on constant haters.

Man oh man, you gotta relax. He's worth vet minimum, okay? I was exaggerating because he sucks.

On the one side this board is populated by people who think they can do OBD better or others who believe themselves to be great journalists. Either way it's just an opinion. As far as Gilmore goes....next man up.