Unintended Leak of Tyrod's Future??

theesir

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's abundantly clear: tyrod will be back if no better option presents itself before the 11th. Just a question of if he restructures.

thats exactly what I think. I think they are waiting on the Romo decision and any other starting caliber QBs that may become available between now and then. No reason to shut the door on this potential option before they need to.

thats exactly what I think. I think they are waiting on the Romo decision and any other starting caliber QBs that may become available between now and then. No reason to shut the door on this potential option before they need to.

I agree with you that it wouldn't be wise to forego an option when your more favored options may not materialize. But what is very apparent to me is that Whaley wasn't enamored with the TT option when the season concluded last year and now that McDermott has reviewed the tape you don't hear many positive things being said about his evaluation of last year's starting qb.

There is no excuse for our franchise to have such a poor qb situation for so long. Our organization is in a bind because it has made too many excuses why the position should/could not be addressed at a particular time. Until the organization makes it a priority and is persistent in its pursuit of a franchise qb this franchise will continue to be a struggling franchise.

It's abundantly clear: tyrod will be back if no better option presents itself before the 11th. Just a question of if he restructures.

...and I don't blame them at all (in fact respect them) for not painting themselves into the corner. Why commit before you have to? Highly unlikely, but what if a fantastic option became available, the day after committing to TT? Don't ignore the chance until you have to.

Not so fast?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/tyrod_taylor.html

"When asked directly about whether he wanted Taylor Wednesday at the combine, McDermott responded:

"We're going through that process right now and the thing about all of our players, and Tyrod's no different, is we're going to go through the process, we're going to exhaust every ounce of time, look at it from every angle. I think the thing you'll find out about me is I'm pretty methodical in my approach. And so it takes time and that's what's in front of us right now."

That's tough to categorize as a ringing endorsement.

He acknowledged on Wednesday that the evaluation of Taylor could go right up to the March 11 deadline to pick up his option.

"We're going to be methodical in all of the decisions," McDermott said. "This position is critical. The quarterback position in the league is critical to the success of a football team and so we're going to take all the time necessary to make the right decision for this organization, both in the short and the longterm."

"The process you look at is you look at it from all different angles and so you compare Tyrod based on the quarterback position, the intangibles we look for, the critical factors at the position and then, yes, you look at it from other areas as well and that being the candidates that are out there in the free agent market," McDermott said".

I think that's more of the same. We will wait until the last minute before committing, hoping for a better option to drop out of the sky.

well there was that one time that Rex dropped out of the sky in the parachute and I live streamed it on periscope during a work meeting. Ah, the vigor that was the 2015 offseason.

well there was that one time that Rex dropped out of the sky in the parachute and I live streamed it on periscope during a work meeting. Ah, the vigor that was the 2015 offseason.

The Ryan brothers must really test parachutes! (And even the plane that got them up there!)

The only reason you'd shut the door on potential options is if there was a reason to shut the door. Like I've said several times today, TT didn't provide that reason and I think it's regrettable.

Does Cleveland turn its attention on Tyrod with garrapolo out? Would you take a 2nd round pick for Tyrod? A rookie has no chance of success in Cleveland, they almost have trade for a QB with experience.

No because if he is our guy right now you don't trade your starting QB for a second round pick.

Does Cleveland turn its attention on Tyrod with garrapolo out? Would you take a 2nd round pick for Tyrod? A rookie has no chance of success in Cleveland, they almost have trade for a QB with experience.

Hell yes for a second !!

No because if he is our guy right now you don't trade your starting QB for a second round pick.

Yea he's not

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=onebox&v=MIAuac3WdrQ

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?feature=onebox&v=MIAuac3WdrQ]

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Just fact checking something...

If the Bills pick up Tyrod's option -- is this cap hit correct?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Because the bonuses are option bonuses -- is it only a $2.8 million cap hit if he is traded after the Bills pick up the option. Or does the option bonus turn into a signing bonus and the cap hit is more like $15 million? Sorry if I am just realizing this...

Just fact checking something...

If the Bills pick up Tyrod's option -- is this cap hit correct?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Because the bonuses are option bonuses -- is it only a $2.8 million cap hit if he is traded after the Bills pick up the option. Or does the option bonus turn into a signing bonus and the cap hit is more like $15 million? Sorry if I am just realizing this...

There is a 2 day window to make the deal. They can trade him day 1 or 2 of the league year and the new team will pick up the hit.

There is a 2 day window to make the deal. They can trade him day 1 or 2 of the league year and the new team will pick up the hit.

Thanks Kirby--sorry I missed that one....you would think there would be no leverage with this short 2 day timeframe. With the cupboard becoming bare of FA QBs, if there are several teams wanting him it makes sense to field offers this week; see what you got and then make the decision whether to pick up the option; pick up the option and trade or decline the option...Interesting little game of poker...or liars poker.

Edited by JoeF

Thanks Kirby--sorry I missed that one....you would think there would be no leverage with this short 2 day timeframe. With the cupboard becoming bare of FA QBs, if there are several teams wanting him it makes sense to field offers this week; see what you got and then make the decision whether to pick up the option; pick up the option and trade or decline the option...Interesting little game of poker...or liars poker.

You'd actually trade him before picking up the option. That would be on the new team. His contract is probably at (or a little below) what he would fetch as a FA. Someone like Cleveland that has the money, picks and the need may do it to avoid overpaying or missing out in FA.