Should the Bills cut Kyle Williams to clear cap space?

YoloinOhio

Should the Bills cut Kyle Williams to save cap space?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of making Kyle a cap casualty?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm too busy worrying about the QB situation, ask me on March 12

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would see if he would restructure into a 2 year deal if he thinks he wants to play 2 more...

At a friendly cap hit he could be solid depth and mentoring material as well as still capable of starting

I say no. If Kyle wants to go to a contender, not saying the Bills are or not, but let's say he wanted to play for a team that would get him a shot at playing for a ring-- let him go for that.

Love the guy. Would love for him to finish a Bill. Give him the choice.

That is all i want for Christmas. Kyle is my favorite Bill after Fred. do the right thing Buffalo.

if he had some serious drop off, my mind would be different on this.

Offer him 6.3m

:flirt:

You're kidding in regards to Carpenter's replacement cost right? He has the #8 cap hit for 2017 for kickers in the league. They could bring in a young guy at a paltry salary. There's a lot of young kickers out there that aren't bad at all that would still net nearly $2 million in savings. Examples: Boswell, McManus, Hopkins, Santos, Lambo and Catanzaro all have cap hits between $510k and $615k.

Paying Carpenter's dead cap hit of $537k and a young guy at $600k or so and you've still saved $1.75-$1.8 million from Carpenter's scheduled $2.9375 million.

Not kidding. Currently Carp is set to be the 8th most expensive K in 2017, but he was 12th last season. There are some pending FA kickers that you aren't seeing on the 2017 list.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/kicker/

Sure, you could draft one or pick up one on the cheap. Or you could easily wind up paying as much or more for a quality veteran - especially when factoring in Carp's dead money. Even in your example - which would indicate an unproven or lower tier kicker - it's not a lot in the scheme of a $168M cap. And it'd probably be a lot less than that. I'm not even advocating for keeping Carp, I'm just saying that there isn't much, if anything, to save there.

You're kidding in regards to Carpenter's replacement cost right? He has the #8 cap hit for 2017 for kickers in the league. They could bring in a young guy at a paltry salary. There's a lot of young kickers out there that aren't bad at all that would still net nearly $2 million in savings. Examples: Boswell, McManus, Hopkins, Santos, Lambo and Catanzaro all have cap hits between $510k and $615k.

Paying Carpenter's dead cap hit of $537k and a young guy at $600k or so and you've still saved $1.75-$1.8 million from Carpenter's scheduled $2.9375 million.

That's not how you calculate savings. We were going to pay him this year $2.125 mill in salary, a $250K roster bonus and a $25K workout bonus. That's your gross savings, $2.4 mill. (You do NOT add in the amortized part of the signing bonus!!! It's a sunken cost, it's gone.) Again, a total of $2.4 mill. Now, subtract the dead money, $537K and you save $1.863 mill. And then you have to pay the new guy. Say you're right and that's $600K. Now you've saved roughly $1.263 mill. That's not nothing, but it's less than you're calculating.

$1.263 mill savings if you only bring in a $600K rookie to replace him.

Now, if you bring in a young guy at $600K, you're essentially getting a rookie. You're taking a risk. You don't know how that will work out. Sometimes terrifically, sometimes not. Every one of those guys you mentioned, Boswell, McManus, Hopkins, Santos, Lambo and Catanzaro are on their first contracts. And two of those five hit lower percentages of field goals than Carpenter did, and only one of the six managed better post-kickoff field position than Carpenter did, and those are the relative rookie success stories. Bringing in a new guy is taking a risk. I'm convinced that Carpenter can go without hurting the team. He has under-performed for two years now. But ideally we should get an FA who's a bit proven rather than a rookie. Rookies are risky. But maybe all we can afford.

Edited by Thurman#1

The biggest thing it comes down to - does Danny Crossman trust young kickers?

In Carolina (07-09) he had John Kasay who was 38, 39 & 40 for those seasons. In Detroit, (10-12) he had Jason Hanson at 40, 41 & 42. In Buffalo so far, Carpenter ages 28 through 31.

Nothing suggests he won't go down the vet route. If Carp goes, expect a run at Hauschka or Zuerlein.

Really, you guys shouldn't !@#$ing doubt me :D