AJ Klein looking for starting opportunity;signing w/ Saints

YoloinOhio

AJ Klein has been mentioned as a possible FA target for Bills. He is looking to leave Carolina to have an opportunity to start. He was Keuchley's backup when he was hurt, and played well in McD's scheme. I am thinking the Bills would sign either him OR Zach Brown. Who would be better for Bills?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/23/a-j-klein-likely-to-leave-carolina-for-starting-opportunity/

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AJ Klein has been mentioned as a possible FA target for Bills. He is looking to leave Carolina to have an opportunity to start. He was Keuchley's backup when he was hurt, and played well in McD's scheme. I am thinking the Bills would sign either him OR Zach Brown. Who would be better for Bills?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/23/a-j-klein-likely-to-leave-carolina-for-starting-opportunity/

Klein would be better because he knows the scheme and can help the people around him learn it. It's always a good idea to bring some guys over from your old system to help implement it. He's also probably cheaper than Brown.

Is he an outside LB? Because I'm pretty sure Ragland gets first shot in the middle. Zach, I'm pretty confident , can play on the outside effectively.

It does seem like folks are writing off Ragland in this system. Some have said that he would be better on the strong side in McD's system. I suppose what they do in FA and the draft will be telling with regard to how they feel about the mike position.

With that said, where does Preston Brown fit in this system? I suppose for similar reasons to RR, he would be best at SLB?

With the current players and system I see, in base packages, P. Brown (SLB), Ragland (ILB), and TBD at (WLB). Will could be Zach Brown if re-signed, IMO, or a draft pick (e.g., Reuben Foster).

Given that Klein could be a nice bargain-priced free agent pick-up, I see no reason why the Bills couldn't sign him AND re-sign Zach Brown. Ragland remains a question mark. Preston Brown was disappointing last season -- and I don't know how much we can blame that on Rex. When it really mattered we saw just how poor the linebacker play was last season.

Klein is versatile: he played all 3 LB positions for the Panthers and was a force on special teams. Obviously, coming over from Carolina, Klein could also give the defense a jump-start, already knowing McD's system. When Kuechly went down last season, it was Klein's responsibility to navigate the defense. Worse case scenario, he provides excellent depth. I know he is looking for a starting job, and McD would be in the best position to identify whether he is a good fit in such a role.

Given his limited experience as a stater, I would not over-pay for him, but if he is available at a reasonable rate, he would be a top priority of mine if I am Doug W.

Given that Klein could be a nice bargain-priced free agent pick-up, I see no reason why the Bills couldn't sign him AND re-sign Zach Brown. Ragland remains a question mark. Preston Brown was disappointing last season -- and I don't know how much we can blame that on Rex. When it really mattered we saw just how poor the linebacker play was last season.

Klein is versatile: he played all 3 LB positions for the Panthers and was a force on special teams. Obviously, coming over from Carolina, Klein could also give the defense a jump-start, already knowing McD's system. When Kuechly went down last season, it was Klein's responsibility to navigate the defense. Worse case scenario, he provides excellent depth. I know he is looking for a starting job, and McD would be in the best position to identify whether he is a good fit in such a role.

Given his limited experience as a stater, I would not over-pay for him, but if he is available at a reasonable rate, he would be a top priority of mine if I am Doug W.

Agree. Would be nice to have both. We only have 3 LBers under contract right now anyway. You find a way to start Klein, Brown and Brown and allow Ragland to find his fit in the scheme as he learns the defense and gets a full training camp under him. If he supplants one of the other guys (likely Preston Brown) then so be it.

Klein is to this defense as a linebacker what Jim Leonard was to us as a safety: A contributor, but not a stud; a guy who can help other guys know their role, but not a guy who'll define excellence at his own; a special teams piece; a guy who plays an important role, but not an important guy.

Klein mlb

Ragland slb

ZBrown wlb

Trade p brown.

Klein can play slb and mlb.

If we draft a mlb he is insurance for the rookie and Ragland.

And Preston brown is worthless

I'm not sure we could get anything for Preston. I think it may be worth it to actually have depth at a position, Ragland is coming off a major injury, Z. Brown has had injuries in his career and Klein has never been a full time regular. Keep Preston and allow competition to bring the best 3 to the top.

considering Klein knows the system he should be better sooner but Brown could be better latter.

Klein mlb

Ragland slb

ZBrown wlb

Trade p brown.

Klein can play slb and mlb.

If we draft a mlb he is insurance for the rookie and Ragland.

And Preston brown is worthless

No need to trade Preston Brown, he's on a dirt cheap rookie contract with one year remaining.

if he has no value in his 1 yr to us than he has no value. Trade him for value

For one year at 900k or so his value would be serving as cheap, reliable depth at a position where the team has none

Edited by JM57