The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

ANOTHER REPORTER PAYS FOR TDS

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2019/11/another-reporter-pays-for-tds.php

You probably have heard about the ill-fated Newsweek tweet that implicitly criticized President Trump for spending his Thanksgiving holiday golfing and tweeting:

It turns out Newsweek was not amused. The reporter, Jessica Kwong, has been fired. She tells her side of the story:

Kwong told the Washington Examiner that she was assigned to write a story about what the president was doing on Thanksgiving a week in advance and filed it to her editors on Wednesday. Then, she explained that she sent a message to the editor on duty with the president’s latest actions and the editor published the piece. That editor decided to have a reporter write a new story on Trump’s surprise trip to Afghanistan, and neglected to update Kwong’s original piece in a timely manner.

The root of the problem, of course, is that Newsweek, like pretty much all news outlets, is interested in bringing down President Trump, not in reporting the news. This is why we see such mistakes in the press, over and over, and always in the same direction.

• Like (+1) 2

TRUMP’S SOCIAL MEDIA GAME IS GROUCHO, AND THE PRESS IS MARGARET DUMONT:  

“Donald Trump Campaign Disputes Claim that Photo of President as Rocky Balboa Was ‘Doctored.'”

Team Trump was witty enough to say, “Washington Post claims – without evidence – that @realDonaldTrump shared a ‘doctored’ photo.”

That’s not — as Newsweek imagines — a dispute of WaPo’s “claim” that the photo did not show the real body of Donald Trump. It’s making fun of WaPo for saying what didn’t need to be said.

I believe it is also intended as mockery of the use of the phrase “without evidence” in reports on the impeachment hearings.

And it’s hilarious.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

The media was big on attacking W and Trump for playing that evil golf game

not a peep of protest when Obama played a lot of golf as well

how could that possibly be????

Actually "W" quit playing golf when we invaded Iraq. He thought it wrong to do so while we were at war.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Actually "W" quit playing golf when we invaded Iraq. He thought it wrong to do so while we were at war.

I did not know that

i don’t recall any credit for this 

how could that not happen?

4 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

W quit playing golf while soldiers fought overseas

Obama had no problem flipping a cool guy salute to the hired help holding his umbrella

The New York Times’ long descent from credibility

by Michael Goodwin

Original Article

The separation of news from opinion was an ingrained part of the culture at The New York Times when I started there in the 1970s. As a young reporter, I knew the rule without understanding its significance. I only knew I was not permitted to express my opinions in my stories. Those were the days when copy was edited by hand and if you veered into editorializing, editors simply crossed out the offending words. You learned of your mistake when you read the paper the next day and realized your opinion was on the cutting-room floor.

6 hours ago, B-Man said:

The New York Times’ long descent from credibility

by Michael Goodwin

Original Article

The separation of news from opinion was an ingrained part of the culture at The New York Times when I started there in the 1970s. As a young reporter, I knew the rule without understanding its significance. I only knew I was not permitted to express my opinions in my stories. Those were the days when copy was edited by hand and if you veered into editorializing, editors simply crossed out the offending words. You learned of your mistake when you read the paper the next day and realized your opinion was on the cutting-room floor.

Lol they covered up the Nazi atrocities.  This didn't start in the 80s.

Edited by 4merper4mer

29 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The gaslighting continues. 

This has been disproven by three different federal investigations. Three. 

Yet Joe is not an honest person. Nor is NBC a legit newsource. 

Joe is as sleazy as anyone in news media. The guy creeps me out whenever I see him talk. It would not surprise me at all to learn that he's a psychopath.

I suspect the same is true of Adam Schiff as well. I have no trouble picturing him running a Soviet gulag.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rob's House said:

Joe is as sleazy as anyone in news media. The guy creeps me out whenever I see him talk. It would not surprise me at all to learn that he's a psychopath.

I suspect the same is true of Adam Schiff as well. I have no trouble picturing him running a Soviet gulag.

Joe changed once they found the dead girl in his office. 

... Kind of as if it was part of a control/blackmail op. 

Good for the Trump team. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Joe changed once they found the dead girl in his office. 

... Kind of as if it was part of a control/blackmail op. 

I read an interesting piece that put forth the theory that having a hidden scandal in your past is more likely to enhance one's political/public career because the power players that put politicians/pundits in their places know they can control them.

I always discounted the theory of a shadow government pulling the strings, but the more I learn the more plausible it seems.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

I read an interesting piece that put forth the theory that having a hidden scandal in your past is more likely to enhance one's political/public career because the power players that put politicians/pundits in their places know they can control them.

I always discounted the theory of a shadow government pulling the strings, but the more I learn the more plausible it seems.

It's entirely true. This document all but proves it: 

https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/icotr/51117/2016_Cert_FISC_Memo_Opin_Order_Apr_2017.pdf

Particularly pages 80-85ish. 

Consider that information and the voting record of someone like say, Justice Roberts.

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

they want smart people who learn to accept two different lives and personalities in their own brain

its not for everyone, have to show that insane desire for power with a lot of hatefulness jammed inside

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...HUH?.....gaffe cost them 25% of their viewership.......so they're down to three........

like they seriously tell themselves that people with a job and brain will sit there and pay attention to their crap for 15 solid minutes of their day?

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

They have already written the total hit piece on the man, why pretend anything will even be remotely fair?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

they want smart people who learn to accept two different lives and personalities in their own brain

its not for everyone, have to show that insane desire for power with a lot of hatefulness jammed inside

The hatefulness part is real and disturbing. I've been reading about the Bolshevik revolution, and the utter hatred for, and brutality toward those whose only crime, often times, was philosophical disagreement, is so dark and disturbing.

I see that same hatred manifesting itself in ways I would not have dreamed could happen here. 

Totalitarians don't seek to improve the condition of the workers, they seek to control and exploit them to elevate themselves as the ruling class. The talk of the workers' plight is marketing/propaganda similar to WMDs as the reason to invade Iraq, the sinking of the Lusitania to enter WWI, or global warming as a reason to enact global taxes.

I understand why they want power, and kill/suppress those who are seen as obstacles, but the genuine hatred for people who don't want to be slaves perplexes me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

The hatefulness part is real and disturbing. I've been reading about the Bolshevik revolution, and the utter hatred for, and brutality toward those whose only crime, often times, was philosophical disagreement, is so dark and disturbing.

I see that same hatred manifesting itself in ways I would not have dreamed could happen here. 

Totalitarians don't seek to improve the condition of the workers, they seek to control and exploit them to elevate themselves as the ruling class. The talk of the workers' plight is marketing/propaganda similar to WMDs as the reason to invade Iraq, the sinking of the Lusitania to enter WWI, or global warming as a reason to enact global taxes.

I understand why they want power, and kill/suppress those who are seen as obstacles, but the genuine hatred for people who don't want to be slaves perplexes me.

Without even a pretend moral code of rule of law or a religion they go solely by their emotions and resentments built up over decades 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Without even a pretend moral code of rule of law or a religion they go solely by their emotions and resentments built up over decades 

That's one reason it is painfully ironic to hear leftists decrying the abandonment of the rule of law. First, because they don't know what it means, and secondly, because they are steadfastly opposed to it.

Rule of man might well be the single most important and fundamental aspect of their ideology.

• Thank you (+1) 1

That's one reason it is painfully ironic to hear leftists decrying the abandonment of the rule of law. First, because they don't know what it means, and secondly, because they are steadfastly opposed to it.

Rule of man might well be the single most important and fundamental aspect of their ideology.

helps to have even the remotest of religious upbringing to try to ground someone in their adult years

tossing all history and writings and learning of the best minds into the trash leads to.... well... this kind of culture...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

———

Watched an All in the Family on the weekend and Archie and Mike are having a sit down 

Archie agrees things are troubling and asks Mike what his generation’s solutions or plans are

and Mike says they don’t need them because Archie’s generation is to blame

yup, thought so....even 50 years ago....

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

helps to have even the remotest of religious upbringing to try to ground someone in their adult years

tossing all history and writings and learning of the best minds into the trash leads to.... well... this kind of culture...

In my younger years I rebelled against religion, and found it perplexing that those who seemed most grounded in reality disproportionately held an unquestioning belief in a deity whose very existence was substantiated only by the ancient texts of a primitive society.

It was not until many years later that I realized why. I attribute part to the inherent human need for purpose that is largely provided by religion, but is often substituted with political ideology by the irreligious.

I think your observation about having a moral grounding outside of one's own whims may be even more significant. 

In my younger years I rebelled against religion, and found it perplexing that those who seemed most grounded in reality disproportionately held an unquestioning belief in a deity whose very existence was substantiated only by the ancient texts of a primitive society.

It was not until many years later that I realized why. I attribute part to the inherent human need for purpose that is largely provided by religion, but is often substituted with political ideology by the irreligious.

I think your observation about having a moral grounding outside of one's own whims may be even more significant. 

I would expect rebellion in one’s early years, it was kind of strange watching my peers accept things without a battle

so what is reality, your parents and school and people who honestly care about you ?

37 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Have you read up on the French Revolution and the Jacobians?  Quite a similiarty with modern Progressives trying to erase history and change the language and even their calendar to suit their ideology

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, /dev/null said:

Have you read up on the French Revolution and the Jacobians?  Quite a similiarty with modern Progressives trying to erase history and change the language and even their calendar to suit their ideology

Theory is fun and games, the reality of gaining the acceptance of real people is hard