Wood Salary Cap Cut? Sign Groy?

Bocephuz

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wood is expensive, but a lot of that is due to the past restructuring of his contract. He'll count $7.58M in 2017 as it stands. That'd be his last season under contract. If cut, he'd still count $4.32M. That's a savings of $3.26M. If a new C costs about $2M, then savings would be around $1.26M. For that, I'd rather not rock the boat and either let him play his deal out or extend him and kick some of the cap hit this season into future years.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eric-wood-5637/

Overdorf and Whaley have Buffalo's cap situation among the bottom quarter of the league with poor depth across the board.

I doubt regardless of who the HC is they can continue the spending pace they started in 2015 and still be a .500 team. Something's gotta give and it'll likely happen this season.

The cap situation has been discussed already, repeatedly. This is the only year things will be tight. Next year we have an estimated $50,000,000 is what I read in another thread. It's not that dire tbh.

Wood is expensive, but a lot of that is due to the past restructuring of his contract. He'll count $7.58M in 2017 as it stands. That'd be his last season under contract. If cut, he'd still count $4.32M. That's a savings of $3.26M. If a new C costs about $2M, then savings would be around $1.26M. For that, I'd rather not rock the boat and either let him play his deal out or extend him and kick some of the cap hit this season into future years.

When you get down to the actual savings, it makes it less appealing. They could even sign groy, and let wood play out the last year at guard. Just to see how groy does long term. But there isn't a lot of coin to be saved by cutting him now.

Restructure Wood & keep him as a back up center & guard. He played guard his 1st yr with the Bills. If he doesn't want to restructure cut him loose & let him test the market.

I agree with this approach. Also, as someone else noted, there are good centers available in this draft. Ethan Poteic (sp) from LSU I believe has played Guard and Center.

A good point. Gory is also a FA. Need to give him a 2nd round tender.

If those numbers are correct. I would keep Wood.

When you get down to the actual savings, it makes it less appealing. They could even sign groy, and let wood play out the last year at guard. Just to see how groy does long term. But there isn't a lot of coin to be saved by cutting him now.

That is an intriguing option and a good one. How old is Groy? If in his 20's....Maybe a 3 year deal at $2 million a year for your back up swing G/C or a potential starter.

That just kicks the can down the road though. You open cap space now and lessen cap space in the future. It's certainly an option if they want to keep TT, Gilmore and do a little shopping. Otherwise, I'd bite the bullet and eat the cap space now to be more flexible in the future.

I'm all for restructuring guys but dareus is literally the definition of a guy you don't do it with.

He's just too risky that you get trapped in a deal with an overweight suspended goon and can't cut him because you ballooned his dead money again

Bingo. That's the true math on this discussion.

[*]In general .. an NFL team shouldn't be paying a premium for Centers

Which is why he's 6 and not 14m

I'm not terribly offended by being a little high on some of these dirt cheap positions. Having a great full back blocking and center making line calls at less money than a guy like woods is about to get in free agency is a fair place to spend even if unexciting... just got to actually get the right guys in any of those roles as the key to spending

Edited by NoSaint

he is marginally better, historically, at least than groy. He also sucked at guard.

Actually, that's your option & we all know the old saying about options, Wood played guard his rookie season & graded out well. He was pretty good at pulling out on running plays. Whether or not he's getting long in the tooth, I don't know. He is a lineman & they take a lot of punishment down in the pits.

Actually, that's your option & we all know the old saying about options, Wood played guard his rookie season & graded out well. He was pretty good at pulling out on running plays. Whether or not he's getting long in the tooth, I don't know. He is a lineman & they take a lot of punishment down in the pits.

its silly comments like this that make this place amazing. Because I stated my opinion which was obviously my opinion and we get the people who remind us that what I said isn't fact. Obviously its opinion.

But facts like Jon Skelton should have been a bill, pickle juice is great for cooking and can newton is overrated are simply true.

But, yeah, your opinion of my opinion is incorrect. His grade at guard by a bunch of "nerds" is ridiculous. Disirregardless of what you value by PFF and all of those sites he wasn't good at guard. He is overrated. And he isn't that important to the Bills. We didn't miss him at all.

Robyn Mundy from BillsWire wrote this piece..

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/21/if-ryan-groy-re-signs-with-bills-could-eric-wood-become-expendable/

Should Whaley cut Wood? Should he replace him with Ryan Groy?

In my opinion this is a no brainer.

• Wood is currently the 8th highest paid center at 6.35 mil/ year average.
  • According to Spotrac low- end centers get paid ~ $2mil/year. I think a 3 year deal averaging ~$2 mil/year with no guaranteed money would win us Groy's services saving the Bills ~$4 mil in cap space along the way
  • Wood is a great character guy/leader but there was literally no drop off in play when he broke his leg and Groy stepped in.
  • Wood is on the wrong side of 30
  • There are some decent Centers/Guards available in the later rounds (John Toth) and even in the earlier rounds if we want (Pat Elefin) that would be much cheaper long term options if Groy doesn't pan out
  • In general .. an NFL team shouldn't be paying a premium for Centers

sure, they've blown it all up, might as when start the roster purge and send the message by cutting your pro bowl, team captain center....

three more years of suck

its silly comments like this that make this place amazing. Because I stated my opinion which was obviously my opinion and we get the people who remind us that what I said isn't fact. Obviously its opinion.

But facts like Jon Skelton should have been a bill, pickle juice is great for cooking and can newton is overrated are simply true.

But, yeah, your opinion of my opinion is incorrect. His grade at guard by a bunch of "nerds" is ridiculous. Disirregardless of what you value by PFF and all of those sites he wasn't good at guard. He is overrated. And he isn't that important to the Bills. We didn't miss him at all.

Disirregardless? That's a "dis" and a "ir" too many if you meant regardless. And that's not just my opinion.

Wood is the 8th highest paid center, and his play is right around that level. The only thing I see the Bills doing is converting salary into bonus to reduce our cap hit this year.

he isn't the 8th best center in the league. There are 3 maybe at the best top notch centers. The rest are hovering in the middle. The talent that used to be needed for center is no longer needed. Our offense, especially so. We need better guards than centers. Disirregardless of wood being paid so much the drop off to groy makes wood expendable for the value he offers. I'd rather spend it on depth at OL or WR.

I agree with this approach. Also, as someone else noted, there are good centers available in this draft. Ethan Poteic (sp) from LSU I believe has played Guard and Center.

A good point. Gory is also a FA. Need to give him a 2nd round tender.

That could work out well. Let Woods walk after this season and if Gory is up to taking over for him, then sign him longterm.

That is why if you are cutting him to free up cap space THIS year, he is a post June 1st cut. You shift 1.25 Million into 2018. By your math the cap space freed up this year would be 2.5 Million. That could go a ways toward a decent depth FA. We already have Groy if we sign a decent RFA tender.. Even if we lose Groy with the higher tender we get a nice comp pick, if we tender low or don't tender we lose that. If you tender Groy a 2nd round, you have him for 2.5 million and have another 2 million for your FA or bringing another in.

Edited by simpleman