Trump and Russia

Here you go DR.

The democrat Senator from Virginia has got you beat.................... :lol:

DNkccV9XkAEYnK5.jpg

Democrat Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia posted this on Twitter as an example of a Russian-backed Facebook post.

REMEMBER when this used to be about the Russians "hijacking the election !"

........................................................................................."tampering with the ballots"

​........................................................................................."Overturning our democracy"

Now it's about poorly composed facebook ads, supposedly influenced millions of voters ??

How little do dems/libs think of Americans to believe something so stupid.

​I'm almost embarrassed for them.

That is the dumbest !@#$ing thing I've ever seen. If that's the Russians' best propaganda work, they'd have influenced the election more by handing out free vodka outside the polls.

Edit: correction, it's the dumbest !@#$ing thing I've ever seen until gatorman posts something about it.

Edited by DC Tom

People need to take off the their phucking partisan glasses and understand just how insidious the Kremlin's use of Facebook really is and how it threatens us as a nation by trying to sow discord. Creating bogus groups like Heart of Texas (250,000 followers) and United Muslims of America (300,000 followers) and then having both fake groups organize protests on the same day in the same city in the same location in order to spark confrontation, if not violence, is pure evil, nothing less.

So wake the phuck up and realize Trump, Clinton, emails and hacking are the least of it. We are being played for fools by an adversarial nation intent on undermining our open society and democratic ideals.

People need to take off the their phucking partisan glasses and understand just how insidious the Kremlin's use of Facebook really is and how it threatens us as a nation by trying to sow discord. Creating bogus groups like Heart of Texas (250,000 followers) and United Muslims of America (300,000 followers) and then having both fake groups organize protests on the same day in the same city in the same location in order to spark confrontation, if not violence, is pure evil, nothing less.

So wake the phuck up and realize Trump, Clinton, emails and hacking are the least of it. We are being played for fools by an adversarial nation intent on undermining our open society and democratic ideals.

So the response then is...censor unapproved messages? Or just shut down Facebook entirely?

I don't use Facebook and couldn't give a flying !@#$ what is on there. A bigger waste of time than being on here, I tells ya.

What people need to realize is that nations will organize their geo-political strategies to benefit their own self interests. All nations attempt to steer world events to their own benefit, including America.

Russia is a state actor who benefits when American citizens lose faith in it's electoral process and the legitimacy of their government.

So the response then is...censor unapproved messages? Or just shut down Facebook entirely?

Vetting the legitimacy of facebook "groups" and the origins of those accounts would be a start. I don't think that's censorship. A troll in Russia claiming to be muslim, a redneck, or a member of BLM all in the same day, does not qualify for 1st Amendment protections.

And what they did in Texas wasn't about it's messaging so much as it was about fomenting discord and then manipulating a confrontation between opposing groups as a result of belief in the two fake groups set up to do so.

Vetting the legitimacy of facebook "groups" and the origins of those accounts would be a start. I don't think that's censorship. A troll in Russia claiming to be muslim, a redneck, or a member of BLM all in the same day, does not qualify for 1st Amendment protections.

And what they did in Texas wasn't about it's messaging so much as it was about fomenting discord and then manipulating a confrontation between opposing groups as a result of belief in the two fake groups set up to do so.

So people in other countries shouldn't be allowed to offer opinions about American politics, or Americans shouldn't be allowed to read those opinions?

I'm just curious about which affront to freedom you're endorsing.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

it's the internet, Facebook is the equivalent of stuffing Cheetos in your face while hoping Maury says "you ARE the father"

legitimacy of the internet, oh... that's so freakin cute and sweet.....

Is it really? When mass groups of people can be so easily manipulated towards confrontation by fake groups that appeal to their base emotions? Maybe you're right.

To your second point, that's not what I'm talking about, your snark notwithstanding. Facebook and other social media platform providers are not the internet. They are a product that uses the internet as a pipeline. They are run by real people in real buildings making real time decisions and they are certainly capable of providing a higher level of oversight and consumer protection. Especially from hostile foreign powers.

So people in other countries shouldn't be allowed to offer opinions about American politics, or Americans shouldn't be allowed to read those opinions?

No, trolls in other countries working for their governments in troll farms should not be able to establish fake accounts with fake identities for no other purpose than to foment discord among disparate groups in America for the purpose of inciting confrontation and violence.

And if you think the troll accounts I alluded to earlier are simply Russians offering their opinions on our politics, you miss the point entirely.

No, trolls in other countries working for their governments in troll farms should not be able to establish fake accounts with fake identities for no other purpose than to foment discord among disparate groups in America for the purpose of inciting confrontation and violence.

And if you think the troll accounts I alluded to earlier are simply Russians offering their opinions on our politics, you miss the point entirely.

No, I don't miss the point entirely.

What those Facebook adds are, are opinions, real or not, about American politics. They are not coercive, and do not involve force.

America is a free country, and for all the problems inherent to the situation, creating a structure under which a "Ministry of Information" official or otherwise, which dictates what information Americans are allowed to read is a much greater problem.

How is different than McCarthy hearings?

I'm all for dropping the partisan glasses - it's what I've been arguing for over a year on this issue. This isn't about left or right, it isn't about Russia versus the US - not really. It's about the USIC manipulating its own population to get them to fear Russia. Fearing Russia means they get to run the show on foreign policy (read: more perma war, more proxy wars, bigger budgets) and keep the gravy train rolling.

Russia has been trying to sow discord for decades, if not centuries, in this country. Just as we do the same there. Remember too the numbers in those groups are a mirage, they're bot farms not real numbers. This narrative started with the claim Russia hacked the election - that was quickly shown to be false. Then the narrative shifted to collusion with Trump - that has shown to be much more smoke than fire. Now they've moved the goalpost to information warfare - which happened, and continues to happen, but in reality just ain't that scary or worth the digital ink the media has spent discussing this.

It's all been designed to scare you into giving up civil liberties in exchange for protection. We fell for that trap in 2001 and are still paying for it. It's not the same groups that tricked us in 2001 who are tricking us now, but the same people in those groups.

The solution to stopping Russian meddling is to take action ourselves - not play the victim card. We don't need to send troops over any borders, institute any form of censorship or vetting that limits peoples' ability to get information and exchange it freely. No, what people need to do is take more personal responsibility for their intake of information.

They need to develop better discernment.

That's a personal responsibility, not a governmental one. We've seen what happens when we let the government run our education - we end up in a spot where people are so dumbed down they think Jesus arm wrestling Satan is a legitimate threat to the republic.

It's not.

:beer:

I'd sooner support vetting voters. With the simple question "Do you get your news from Facebook?"