Trump and Russia

18 hours ago, DC Tom said:

And who defines "hostile?"

We define hostile as a nation and as individuals every day. I define Russian trolling in the form of creating fake accounts, fake news, and fake events in order to drive wedges between disparate groups in the US in order to sow discord and confrontation as hostile. 

7 hours ago, GG said:

And how would social networks do that without tying into government's databases to identify the bad actors?

They could start by vetting the material posted; perhaps creating a grace period to allow for that. I don't pretend to have the answers and I realize it's a heck of a technological challenge but it has to start somewhere. 

45 minutes ago, K-9 said:

We define hostile as a nation and as individuals every day.

But "we" don't. The government does. And even they are divided on most of those classifications.

Which brings us back to the initial problem, no matter how you slice it the solution you're suggesting ends in an outside party determining for the individual what material they can and cannot read/disseminate. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Wow... I mean, I know she's trying to move books but:

Image result for damn gif

Brazile blasts 'incompetence' in response to email hack at Wasserman Schultz-led DNC

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/07/brazile-blasts-incompetence-in-response-to-email-hack-at-wasserman-schultz-led-dnc.html

That's the nearest I've seen a Democrat come to taking responsibility for the Democratic Party since...ever.

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

But "we" don't. The government does. And even they are divided on most of those classifications.

Which brings us back to the initial problem, no matter how you slice it the solution you're suggesting ends in an outside party determining for the individual what material they can and cannot read/disseminate. 

Yes, “we” do. The Kremlin hiring trolls to work out of a troll farm to impersonate Americans with disparate views on highly charged subjects with no other motive than to fan the flames of discord and conflict is a hostile act. I will not be convinced otherwise. Russia is not our friend in this world and never has been. We had a window before Putin came into power but that opportunity is long gone.

About the initial problem, again, I am suggesting no no such thing. Those in control of the social media platforms are not an outside party in the least. They have a responsibility to the public trust and better internal controls can be put in place to vet the sources using their platforms. 

Im out. But thanks for the give and take.

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Wow... I mean, I know she's trying to move books but:

Image result for damn gif

Brazile blasts 'incompetence' in response to email hack at Wasserman Schultz-led DNC

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/11/07/brazile-blasts-incompetence-in-response-to-email-hack-at-wasserman-schultz-led-dnc.html

From your link:

"Brazile asked aloud why agents didn’t directly call Wasserman Schultz, considering she was a member of Congress. She also writes that Eric Holder, the U.S. attorney general at the time, stopped her at then-President Obama’s birthday party in August 2016 to say that the DNC “was not very responsive” to the FBI inquires."

Hmmmm.

DONNA BRAZILE THINKS ERIC HOLDER WAS AG IN AUGUST OF 2016.

Edited by 3rdnlng
Clarity.

Just now, K-9 said:

Yes, “we” do. The Kremlin hiring trolls to work out of a troll farm to impersonate Americans with disparate views on highly charged subjects with no other motive than to fan the flames of discord and conflict is a hostile act. I will not be convinced otherwise. Russia is not our friend in this world and never has been. We had a window before Putin came into power but that opportunity is long gone.

About the initial problem, again, I am suggesting no no such thing. Those in control of the social media platforms are not an outside party in the least. They have a responsibility to the public trust and better internal controls can be put in place to vet the sources using their platforms. 

"We" can't even decide if it is right nowamongst ourselves.  And the country as a whole can't even decide what color a dress is on the internet.  So good luck with that.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

:beer:

(unrelated - but posts were merged)

And here comes the backlash (though, to be fair, the backlash already started):

Funny, for the past 12 months "insiders" have been lauded by the DNC for their brave work in exposing Trump... What changed?

The DNC “Cancer” Is Donna Brazile

Craven insiders—not joint fundraising agreements—are what’s destroying the party.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/11/the_dnc_cancer_is_donna_brazile.html

Edited by Deranged Rhino

On 11/6/2017 at 10:54 AM, Taro T said:

Quite likely.  Not expecting that to be prevalent anytime soon though, unfortunately.

Really. This latest revelation that real news outlets like CNN, Huff Post, Washington Post, BuzzFeed, and the Miami Herald quoted "Russian bot" tweets reinforces my suspicion that most news reporters sit around and read Twitter and get thier stories from there. So much for the days of verifying sources.

Edited by reddogblitz

18 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Really. This latest revelation that real news outlets like CNN, Huff Post, Washington Post, BuzzFeed, and the Miami Herald quoted "Russian bot" tweets reinforces my suspicion that most news reporters sit around and read Twitter and get thier stories from there. So much for the days of verifying sources.

It's hardly new.  Reporters were bitching during the Bush administration that the White House wouldn't spoon-feed them information, and they had to go look for it, like reporters. 

Or just make **** up, like Dan Rather.

28 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

You are the one going on suspicion. Kind of funny. You accusing the media of doing what you are actually doing. Tom, who agrees with the propaganda that flows out of the B-Man sewer, agrees with you. 

Journalism is doing a great job, they have dug out tons of stuff the American public wouldn't know about without good, solid journalism. 

28 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You are the one going on suspicion. Kind of funny. You accusing the media of doing what you are actually doing. Tom, who agrees with the propaganda that flows out of the B-Man sewer, agrees with you. 

Journalism is doing a great job, they have dug out tons of stuff the American public wouldn't know about without good, solid journalism. 

I know. Did you hear about the 145 million dollars given to the Clinton Foundation because HRC facilitated the transfer of 20% of our uranium to Russia? The media really caught HRC in collusion with Russia.

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

You are the one going on suspicion. Kind of funny. You accusing the media of doing what you are actually doing.

No, I'm not. I'm going from this Huffington Post article where they admit THEY did. Here's the link that evidently is no longer available. It was the cover story a few days ago.  Maybe you can get to it.

https://m.huffingtonpost.com/entry/facebook-regulation_us_59e5211ee4b0ca9f483a14bd?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Also a CNBC article about "legitimate" news sources using tweets as a source.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/11/03/the-washington-post-miami-herald-infowars-and-other-us-sites-spread-russian-propaganda-from-twitter.html

The tweet that opened a story in the Washington Post on Feb. 11, 2016 seemed innocuous: It was an attempt to illustrate Syrian territory occupied by clashing government and ISIS forces.

Problem is, the account behind that tweet — @WarfareWW — was one of 2,752 Twitter trolls identified this week as tied to the Russian government and suspended for spreading disinformation.

Edited by reddogblitz

The day is November 8, 2017.  It is 4:28pm eastern.

Donald Trump was elected president one year ago today.

He has been president for 292 days, four hours, and 42 minutes.

Still no impeachment or resignation.

7 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

The funny part is when you go back and read the first few pages of this thread.......................or this gem......

29 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I've heard from my friends here in LA he's actually in exile now, the whole Asia trip is a hoax and he's really on the run... with the USN. 

:lol: