Cardale Jones

Ennjay

Completely agree. He has no hope of playing now. Let him get his reps in OTA's and in training camp. If he shows progress keep him another year. If not keep drafting one until you find one.

How many college snaps did Matt Cassell get? He sat and learned and turned out to be a serviceable pro. Jones' celing is a lot higher than Cassell but only time will tell.

Serviceable pro? I don't know I would go that far, maybe a serviceable backup. And Cassel didn't get to play in College because he was stuck behind a first round pick. Cardale lost his job because he wasnt good enough. So I wouldn't compare the two QB's situations in college.

Chad Kelly will not be around in the 5th round. He will be gone by the 3rd round.

Could be, but I think its quite possible for him to last until the 5th this year. I hear that every year about all kinds of QB's...they wont be there in the 3rd or 4th, better take them in the 2nd...then they don't get drafted until 5th or 6th and sometimes not at all. So, if I am the Bills, I target him or a guy like him in the 5th as every year there is someone there that some people thought would go earlier.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do EXACTLY what you always planned on doing with a Cardale. You continue to develop him. He made big strides in year 1 and still has a ways to go. This isn't a surprise to the Bills. He was a raw prospect with a high celing. He wasn't being drafted to be a solid back-up that can play day one. He was a guy that was drafted because he has the raw tools to be a star. His role this year probably looks a lot like his role last year. That's not a disappointment or a surprise, that was the plan.

On what are you basing this? Personal observations? Coach speak?

REPS, people! If he doesn't get the reps he can't improve. -End of story.

You suddenly decide to TOSS the kid into a game the backup ALREADY LOST at the end of a season the where the regular starter went 7-8 :blink:

what MORON thinks this is a good way to break-in a rookie?

In 18 years this team has PERFECTED the art of FAILING young QB's, and it's disgusting... Bring in Watson, Trubisky, or whoever. They'll FAIL because the expectations (by the organization) are idiotic. And the processs of development is Bass-ackwards...

REPS, people! If he doesn't get the reps he can't improve. -End of story.

You suddenly decide to TOSS the kid into a game the backup ALREADY LOST at the end of a season the where the regular starter went 7-8 :blink:

In 18 years this team has PERFECTED the art of FAILING young QB's, and it's disgusting... Bring in Watson, Trubisky, or whoever. They'll FAIL because the expectations (by the organization) are idiotic. And the processs of development is Bass-ackwards...

What are you even talking about? This post is disgusting... Him playing that last game was no different then him playing in the preseason. All reps are important and you say he needs them to Improve then go off about him getting g reps in an actual game. The most retarded post I have read this week.

"Hey guys he needs reps..."

"WTF is This organization doing give this guy Reps in a meaningless game!?!?"

Edited by Beef Jerky

On what are you basing this? Personal observations? Coach speak?

What I've heard.

I don't think people realize how far from playing he was. I've seen every snap that he's taken since high school and knew exactly what we were getting. People that thought he was going to come in and compete early were just wrong. That was never the plan. That wasn't the guy that they drafted. He was a project. The Bills have been pleased with his progress to date. That doesn't mean that he is close but it means that he is closer. Year 3 will be the time to start passing judgements.

What are you even talking about? This post is disgusting... Him playing that last game was no different then him playing in the preseason. All reps are important and you say he needs them to Improve then go off about him getting g reps in an actual game. The most retarded post I have read this week.

Yah....Reps in a game that isn't lost already... Some can't see the difference... It's fine.... Rex couldn't either.

I will bet you money Chad Kelly won't be drafted by round 3. I think he'll be a UDFA at best.

With Kelly, thats very possible. Once you get to round 5, being drafted and going undrafted is as simple as one team liking you or not. I think with the connections to B-Lo and the intriguing raw ability of the kid, I could see the Bills snaging him in the 5th where we have 2 picks. But like you said, it would not surprise me at all to see him go undrafted. I would think he is a lock for Buffalo if he does go undrafted though as an UDFA.

Edited by Alphadawg7

With Kelly, thats very possible. Once you get to round 5, being drafted and going undrafted is as simple as one team liking you or not. I think with the connections to B-Lo and the intriguing raw ability of the kid, I could see the Bills snaging him in the 5th where we have 2 picks. But like you said, it would not surprise me at all to see him go undrafted. I would think he is a lock for Buffalo if he does go undrafted though as an UDFA.

If Rex and Russ were making those decisions, he could be a Bill. But I doubt McDermott wants a problem child with as many holes in his game as Chad Kelly.

I also think Chad goes undrafted. Knee injury won't help.

I forgot about his knee injury but I still think he's going higher than people think.. I just have a feeling about 3 teams that would draft him; but I'm not going to go there.

Edited by 1st&ten

Just to be clear the Bills are HAPPY with where Cardale is now not disappointed. He isn't going to be fighting for a roster spot or anything (unless he regresses quite a bit). He may even end up as the #2. Cardale was a project and I don't think that all Bills fans realized that. It was always going to take a few years. They aren't scrapping that plan now.

Of course the Bills are going to say they're happy. Did you expect them to say anything else? There has been so much smoke blown up peoples' asses at One Bills Drive for years I've learned to not believe anything they say until I see it for myself. We know nothing about Cardale Jones at this point.

Of course the Bills are going to say they're happy. Did you expect them to say anything else? There has been so much smoke blown up peoples' asses at One Bills Drive for years I've learned to not believe anything they say until I see it for myself. We know nothing about Cardale Jones at this point.

It's not like they were talking about it a ton. When asked, they said that they liked his progress. He's not a guy that you are going to play this year and he probably won't be the #2. He's the developmental guy. I'm not even sure why this thread is still going? They drafted a developmental prospect, that was extremely raw, that they are trying to develop. Nothing has changed. If he made no progress we should worry. If he makes no progress this year, we should worry. At this point though, things are going as planned. He's still a long way away though. Hopefully by camp he's a little closer, by week 4 a little closer, by week 8 a little closer and so on.

Sure just like that!

Couple things, every year, next years draft id the best QB draft ever. So they go 4-12, how do you know you're getting this franchise QB that you think is out there.

I'm sure many scouts & front office folks were talking about what a great QB draft you had the year Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf went 1 and 2. The only other year came close was drew Bledsoe and Rick Mirer believe also went 1 and 2

It's all Whaleys fault for not finding that guy . If it was as easy as you and many others make it sound every team in the league would have a franchise QB!

As others have said with the talent on the team and even a Brian Hoyer, the team could still win 6 or 7 games, and maybe draft again around #10. Though really even at #10 they have almost as much chance as any at findign that guy as more luck than anything.

Some clarity is in order. This years QB draft class looks like it's one of the worst, and next year's seems like it might be one of the best.

So...

1. Move on from Taylor (he's the top end of the mediocre level we've come to expect at the position)

2. Sign a cheap veteran QB like Hoyer

3. Start Hoyer (or whoever) and when Jones gets even close to ready you play him till the end of the season.

4. If Jones doesn't cut it (looking at 4-12 record), you select your franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.

Bills fans should be able to wait one more year. Watch Cardale Jones when he gets his chance and also watch college football for the future QB of the Bills that they'll be picking in the 2018 draft.

I think its sad that a project QB who will never amount to anything gets all this hype

Kid hasn't taken a snap since preseason, all of a sudden he gets thrown into a losing effort at the end of a lost season!

I get that the Bills were in a situation with TT at QB... That's fine.... But there's no way you can close the book on Jones based on that.

Even if you end up doing it, at least get a larger sample size.

Ask, and ye shall receive! :lol:

Edited by #34fan