Evaluation of 5 Quarterbacks in the 2017 Draft

GunnerBill

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Splendid job, Gunner. :thumbsup::beer:

I loved your analysis. I did not watch these guys in as many games as you did.

Personally, I do not want any of these QB's, nor any other QB in this draft.

I think we would be wasting a draft pick. If the Bills want to draft a QB in the 5th or 6th round, fine. Otherwise, stay away.

I really look forward to your analysis of next year's QB class. Which should be far greater than this years.

Just out of curiosity what did your rankings look like last year? How does this class stack up?

So I had two first round grades on Quarterbacks last year - the two that were picked 1 & 2. Watson has a higher grade than both. I suppose that is why I have a hard time with the "terribke year to take a Quarterback" talk. I don't think there is anyone here you trade up for but I hated the two trade ups last year and yet they happened..... and but for Wentz's first 4 or 5 games it hasn't gone great.

A combined ranking of 2016 and 2017 reads:

-------Rd 1

1. Watson

2. Goff

3. Trubisky

4. Wentz

-------Rd 2

5. Lynch

6. Kizer

7. Cook

8. Prescott

----------Rd 3

9. Mahomes

----------Rd 4

10. Jones

11. Kaaya

12. Hackenburg

----------Rd 5

13. Kessler

Thank you for the analysis. This just reinforces my belief that we should keep TT and draft a WR and CB in rounds 1 and 2. Draft a qb next year.

Let's say the Bills keep Taylor and draft their franchise QB next year. Taylor will be using up 17 million dollars of the Bills cap space in 2018. Do you really think the Bills are not going to start their QB right away in 2018? Wouldn't that money be of much better use to spend on OL and the rest of the roster to help out a rookie QB? How foolish would it be to have a 17 million dollar backup QB?

I think Taylor fans are in for a rude awakening. His huge salary just doesn't fit where this team is heading at all. They're most probably looking for their franchise QB within these next two drafts and Taylor's way too expensive to have as a QB whose just a "keeping the seat warm QB" for the real guy they want.

Edited by 1billsfan

Let's say the Bills keep Taylor and draft their franchise QB next year. Taylor will be using up 17 million dollars of the Bills cap space in 2018. Do you really think the Bills are not going to start their QB right away in 2018? Wouldn't that money be of much better use to spend on OL and the rest of the roster to help out a rookie QB? How foolish would it be to have a 17 million dollar backup QB?

I think Taylor fans are in for a rude awakening. His huge salary just doesn't fit where this team is heading at all. They're most probably looking for their franchise QB within these next two drafts and Taylor's way too expensive to have as a QB whose just a "keeping the seat warm QB" for the real guy they want.

yes but like the cowboys with dak and romo they will have to eat romo's hit for one year or maybe two years if the cowboys decide to split the cap hit over two years. the bills could keep tyrod on the roster next year or even trade him. The safe play is to keep tyrod and then deal with the dead cap should we get the franchise guy...cause that guy in theory will be here for 15 years.

I think that if they wait until 2018 Tyrod will almost assuredly be back (I think that he will anyways with the Dennison hire). If they pick up the option, $$27.5M is guaranteed in 2017, $6.35M in 2018 (another $9.75M on the 3rd day of the league year in 2018) and other than that it is $3.1M in 2019, 2020 & 2021. You will probably be keeping him through 2018 because there is no reason to pay a $30.75M for 1 year when you can get him for another $9.75M in year 2. After that all bets are off. Taylor's contract is structured in a way that after 2018 the Bills can walk away with very little penalty.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

Edited by Kirby Jackson

yes but like the cowboys with dak and romo they will have to eat romo's hit for one year or maybe two years if the cowboys decide to split the cap hit over two years. the bills could keep tyrod on the roster next year or even trade him. The safe play is to keep tyrod and then deal with the dead cap should we get the franchise guy...cause that guy in theory will be here for 15 years.

Taylor isn't Romo. There's a huge difference there. I think you're overvaluing Taylor. You see him as a solid starter worth about 15 million a year. I see him as a cheap, journeyman type of free agent starting QB who will provide a team stability and credibility from hitting bottom, but will never be the solution for a team with high expectations.

No team would trade for Taylor with that contract. If you pick up the option, you're stuck with that 17 million next year and are basically doing so knowing he most probably won't be the starting QB in 2018. Look at the 2017 schedule and tell me how many wins you'd expect and would that be enough for Taylor to keep his job.

Edited by 1billsfan

Good analysis. Watson is the best QB in this draft and its not close. Mahomes reminds me of Fitzpatrick. Any analysis on Evans from VT?

Thanks.

I agree Watson is clearly ahead, although I am probably higher on Trubisky than I was at the start of my video evaluations.

I don't see Mahomes / Fitz at all.... Mahomes has a cannon Fitz didn't even have a pea shooter.... interested to know what the comparison is you see? Gunslinger mentality maybe?

I've not watched anything at all of Evans. I will at some point but probably not in this depth.

Nice breakdown.

I was under the impression justa about all of these guys would be taken before the Bills pick?

I'm assuming their stock will rise as the draft approaches.

Still a very good chance that Trubisky and Watson are gone in my mind. Kizer is a little bit of a wildcard and I think he could kind of go anywhere between the top 5 and the 3rd round. There is talk teams are high on him. I touch on why in my breakdown but for me somewhere like Arizona makes sense early in the 2nd, downfield passing game, make use of his strong arm, veteran soon to need replacing.... or maybe even Pittsburgh at the end of the 1st (especially with Big Ben playing a few games about returning). I wouldn't hate either of those teams making that move. Taking him with a top 10 pick would be crazy for me based on what he shows on tape but it could happen.

Taylor isn't Romo. There's a huge difference there. I think you're overvaluing Taylor. You see him as a solid starter worth about 15 million a year. I see him as a cheap, journeyman type of free agent starting QB who will provide a team stability and credibility from hitting bottom, but will never be the solution for a team with high expectations.

No team would trade for Taylor with that contract. If you pick up the option, you're stuck with that 17 million next year and are basically doing so knowing he most probably won't be the starting QB in 2018. Look at the 2017 schedule and tell me how many wins you'd expect and would that be enough for Taylor to keep his job.

Just for the sake of consistency do you view Flacco, Smith, Tannehill and Dalton the same way? Here is the comparison of those guys over the last 2 years: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191527-oj-howard-at-10-anyone/?p=4236300

If you view all of those guys as cheap journeymen guys then it is fine. I view them as middle of the road NFL starters and there is a big difference there. It is easy to upgrade from a "cheap journeyman type" (Hoyer, Fitz) but it is difficult to upgrade from decent starter (Tannehill, Smith, Dalton). I am 100% fine moving on if we are getting that franchise guy. I don't see him in this draft but I am wrong a lot. We just need to be careful about convincing ourselves that TT is something that he is not. He is not Brian Hoyer, he is more like Ryan Tannehill (but with half the picks). You can certainly upgrade from those guys but you can easily downgrade as well.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just for the sake of consistency do you view Flacco, Smith, Tannehill and Dalton the same way? Here is the comparison of those guys over the last 2 years: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191527-oj-howard-at-10-anyone/?p=4236300

If you view all of those guys as cheap journey guys then it is fine. I view them as middle of the road NFL starters and there is a big difference there. It is easy to upgrade from a "cheap journeyman type" (Hoyer, Fitz) but it is difficult to upgrade from decent starter (Tannehill, Smith, Dalton). I am 100% fine moving on if we are getting that franchise guy. I don't see him in this draft but I am wrong a lot. We just need to be careful about convincing ourselves that TT is something that he is not. He is not Brian Hoyer, he is more like Ryan Tannehill (but with half the picks). You can certainly upgrade from those guys but you can easily downgrade as well.

I think he's Fitzpatrick. Yes, he throws a ton more picks than Taylor, but his chance taking and using all of his receivers evens things out. Regardless, they both are ok QBs that give you some hope, but you know they aren't the QB to get you to that contending level you want to be.

I think he's Fitzpatrick. Yes, he throws a ton more picks than Taylor, but his chance taking and using all of his receivers evens things out. Regardless, they both are ok QBs that give you some hope, but you know they aren't the QB to get you to that contending level you want to be.

agree 100%. It's a diff type of helplessness. Feels same as Fitz.