Evaluation of 5 Quarterbacks in the 2017 Draft

GunnerBill

Huh? What did I spin and what are you even talking about comparing a mid first and 6th? I literally very specifically stated that prospects available in the 3rd are not going to grade out much worse than the ones graded earlier, and again, it was the OP analysis (the same you are praising) that I was basing that on.

Man, you are literally the worst. Its not my fault you can't read the original post nor mine...nor comprehend the words when you try. Nothing in this thread has anything to do with a Mock draft. Its entirely about how the prospects are grading out. The original poster gave grades...NONE were higher than a mid first. Which I stated is in line with how most people are analyzing this draft class, that there isnt a QB that is considered a top 10 player in this draft.

That by NO MEANS states none will go in the top 10. Teams will take who they want based on their evaluations and needs. And with so many QB needy teams in the top 10, I am sure someone will go there and I expect it to be Kizer. But keep trying to say I am saying things I didn't say FireChan, its about all you are capable of.

And that is there is not a single QB in the draft that grades out as either low risk or worthy of the top 10 despite the fact this is year with several very needy teams at QB.

No dude. You said, right here in black and white, that no QB grades out in the top 10 despite that some teams need QB's. Sorry. It makes no sense. It's wrong.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? What did I spin and what are you even talking about comparing a mid first and 6th? I literally very specifically stated that prospects available in the 3rd are not going to grade out much worse than the ones graded earlier, and again, it was the OP analysis (the same you are praising) that I was basing that on.

Taylor was a 6th rounder.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems your love for Taylor is skewing your view of these qb's.

You know my take on it and I'd love to see one of the Tru/Watson/Mahomes options come to life here.

Taylor was a 6th rounder.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems your love for Taylor is skewing your view of these qb's.

You know my take on it and I'd love to see one of the Tru/Watson/Mahomes options come to life here.

Do you know how dumb what you just said is? So you just said that a mid first prospect is better than a 6th round draft pick...and now you clarify that you were not comparing picks in this draft, but saying that any mid first round rookie is better than an NFL QB who previously was taken in the 6th round.

So by your very statement...you just told us all that any mid round graded QB in THIS draft is better than Tom Brady (a 6th round draft pick). I mean come on...do you try and make your posts this bad or is it just something you can't help?

And that is there is not a single QB in the draft that grades out as either low risk or worthy of the top 10 despite the fact this is year with several very needy teams at QB.

No dude. You said, right here in black and white, that no QB grades out in the top 10 despite that some teams need QB's. Sorry. It makes no sense. It's wrong.

Wow...you need help.

Yup, that is exactly what I said...that none of the QB's in the OP analysis graded out as worhty of a top 10 selection by his grading scale where NONE were ranked higher than MID round. Please oh please show me where I gave you a mock of the top 10 and said zero would be taken. You really are dense.

PS: Why are you arguing with me on it, that was the OP grades, not mine. I just AGREED with the OP.

Do you know how dumb what you just said is? So you just said that a mid first prospect is better than a 6th round draft pick...and now you clarify that you were not comparing picks in this draft, but saying that any mid first round rookie is better than an NFL QB who previously was taken in the 6th round.

So by your very statement...you just told us all that any mid round graded QB in THIS draft is better than Tom Brady (a 6th round draft pick). I mean come on...do you try and make your posts this bad or is it just something you can't help?

Wow...you need help.

Yup, that is exactly what I said...that none of the QB's in the OP analysis graded out as worhty of a top 10 selection by his grading scale where NONE were ranked higher than MID round. Please oh please show me where I gave you a mock of the top 10 and said zero would be taken. You really are dense.

PS: Why are you arguing with me on it, that was the OP grades, not mine. I just AGREED with the OP.

What does the line "despite the fact this is year with several very needy teams at QB," mean?

Hey GunnerBill...

I am curious if did any analysis of Kelly. He seems to be a hot topic mid to late round guy we could look at given his obvious ties and desire to be here. The reason I ask, is that one thing that is being over looked in the discussions about the possibility of the Bills taking a QB this year is that the Bills don't have a lot of draft picks, including no fourth rounder, which I think significantly reduces the odds the Bills will go QB in the first 3 rounds.

So seems like a guy like Kelly would make a lot of sense given we can likely grab him with one of our 5th round picks and focus on some of our bigger holes earlier. I would be very curious to see how you compare him to the others you already did.

What does the line "despite the fact this is year with several very needy teams at QB," mean?

Sorry I didn't realize English wasnt your first language. It means exactly what it says. But let me help you...the OP did not grade any QB as being better than a mid rounder. He stayed true to his analysis and did NOT let the needs of teams, his personal interest in a player, nor what he thinks will happen in the draft skew that grade.

That is why I applauded GunenrBill for doing such a good job of staying true to his analysis during his excellent post and write up. You on the other hand are not capable of separating what you think a team will or how the draft will go versus the evaluation of a player going into the draft.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Hey GunnerBill...

I am curious if did any analysis of Kelly. He seems to be a hot topic mid to late round guy we could look at given his obvious ties and desire to be here. The reason I ask, is that one thing that is being over looked in the discussions about the possibility of the Bills taking a QB this year is that the Bills don't have a lot of draft picks, including no fourth rounder, which I think significantly reduces the odds the Bills will go QB in the first 3 rounds.

So seems like a guy like Kelly would make a lot of sense given we can likely grab him with one of our 5th round picks and focus on some of our bigger holes earlier. I would be very curious to see how you compare him to the others you already did.

Sorry I didn't realize English wasnt your first language. It means exactly what it says. But let me help you...the OP did not grade any QB as being better than a mid rounder. He stayed true to his analysis and did NOT let the needs of teams, his personal interest in a player, nor what he thinks will happen in the draft skew that grade.

That is why I applauded GunenrBill for doing such a good job of staying true to his analysis during his excellent post and write up. You on the other hand are not capable of separating what you think a team will or how the draft will go versus the evaluation of a player going into the draft.

Since when does it? Isn't that the point of a grade?

You applauded him for not grading Watson #1 overall talent because the Browns might take him?

Hey GunnerBill...

You see the problem with this logic though right? QB's are going to go early be overvalued as they always are. If the Bills decisions makers decide that one of these guys are the one they want under center then they very well will have to use that 1st, 2nd round pick. That in itself doesn't make it a bad pick, they just better get it right.

GMs and scouts have benefits that many of us at home don't, they get to meet with these kids 1 on 1 and guage their intelligence. IMO that is what would/should separate some of this clutter on draft day.

Mr Magoo is the only one who might think Taylor is comparable to Tom Brady. That's some tasty jibber jabber.

Minus some outliers 1st rounders do fare better than 6th rounders no ?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Good insight... format OP.

I have a little different take on Mahomes.. and also am higher on Davis Webb.

Below is my chart I used to evaluate the various QBs after watching game film on Draftbreakdown.com. I watched cutups of 3 games for each qb.

GYJjleQ.png

KIZER

• ARM STRENGTH - Kizer appeared to have the strongest arm out of all the prospects. I don't see any limitations with him not being able to reach different parts of the field
  • ACCURACY - This is the one area where he is a bit hit and miss. Most of the time he throws with good anticipation and puts the ball in a favorable spot for his WR to have YAC. There are however periods of time when his accuracy dips
  • POCKET PRESENCE - Kizer has a very calm presence in the pocket. His body type and demeanor remind me of Warren Moon/ Dak Prescott. For me this is the trait that stands out for him the most compared to the other prospects
  • QUICK GAME - Kizer does an adequate job of executing the quick/short timing game. This is not his strong suit.
  • DRIVES BALL - Kizer has very good balance and does an excellent job of driving the ball with velocity to all parts of the field
  • DEEP MIDDLE - I saw several examples of Kizer displaying nice touch and velocity on deep middle routes
  • DEEP SIDELINE - Kizer's deep sideline ball is not as nice as his middle field deep throws.. he lacks a little touch. Nevertheless.. I saw him hit a few showing he's capable of executing that throw.
  • FOOTWORK - From what I saw Kizer had little to no reps from under center. With that being said.. his footwork/timing for a shotgun qb (which can be tricky) was the calmest.. most synched compared to the other prospects
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Kizer is not afraid to take shots and fit balls into tight windows.
  • MOBILITY - Kizer has very good mobility for a guy his size and there were many examples of him escaping the pocket to pick up first downs. His in-pocket mobility is also the most developed IMO.
  • TOUGHNESS - Kizer took some big hits .. and also dished out a few himself. Not afraid to launch his body at defenders.
  • RED ZONE - Kizer was effective/efficient in the red zone games I watched
  • DECISION MAKING - Kizer appeared to be decisive in executing his reads.. and the chances he took fitting balls into tight windows appeared reasonable for the most part.

GRADE - RD 1

CEILING - HIGH

WEBB

• ARM STRENGTH - Webb's arm strength is slightly behind Kizer's.. but better than the rest of the field. I don't see any limitations with him not being able to reach different parts of the field
  • ACCURACY - Webb's accuracy was surprisingly consistent. Most throws were placed in favorable positions for the WR... especially on the intermediate throws.
  • POCKET PRESENCE - Webb generally stands tall in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield and delivers. I saw several examples of him sacrificing ..staying in the extra second to take a hit so he could execute a throw.
  • QUICK GAME - Webb does an adequate job of executing the quick/short timing game. His offense called for many bubble screens and short one step drops which he adequately executed for the most part
  • DRIVES BALL - Webb can consistently drive the ball to all parts of the field.. even if he is off balance or his footwork is off. He will occasionally try and lob balls into spots where he should be driving the ball (there was a good example of this in the Senior Bowl)
  • DEEP MIDDLE - This is one of Webb's strong suits. With his height,vision and patience and arm strength.. he was consistently able to hit deep seam routes over the middle accurately allowing YAC for the receiver
  • DEEP SIDELINE - As displayed in the Senior Bowl.. Webb throws the nicest deep sideline ball out of all the prospects.
  • FOOTWORK - Having little to no experience under center.. his footwork can be a little sloppy at times. He is able to overcome the bad footwork with his strong arm many times.. but that may not fly as well in the NFL
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Webb is ultra aggressive and is always looking to take intermediate and deep shots. Not afraid to place the ball in tight up for grabs windows.
  • MOBILITY - Has very decent mobility for a guy his size .. is good at hanging in pocket and shifting to buy time
  • TOUGHNESS - Webb can take a hit and keep going.
  • RED ZONE - Webb was effective/efficient in the red zone games I watched
  • DECISION MAKING - This is one area where he can be inconsistent. He sometimes takes too many chances that defenses make him pay for.

GRADE - RD 2

CEILING - HIGH

TRUBISKY

• ARM STRENGTH - Trubisky's arm strength is adequate.. he can hit most areas of the field. He does not drive the ball as well as Watson, Kizer, Webb however.
  • ACCURACY - This is his strength. Out of all prospects... Trubisky is most consistent in throwing with anticipation and leading his receivers.
  • POCKET PRESENCE - Trubisky generally looks comfortable in the pocket when he is able to hit his drop and get the ball out quickly. He can be a little rattled when his first read isn't there and he has to buy himself time
  • QUICK GAME - Outstanding. Has a great clock in his head and excels in being able to get the ball out of his hands quickly to his playmakers.
  • DRIVES BALL - Not a weak arm.. but more of a touch thrower than a dart thrower
  • DEEP MIDDLE - Is able to see plays develop over the deep middle and is not afraid to attempt and can execute these throws
  • DEEP SIDELINE - There are several examples of him completing deep sideline throws.
  • FOOTWORK - Good footwork / synchronization with receivers. Should be a good West Coast QB.
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Tends to take what's given to him rather than waiting for deeper routes to develop.. but will take the occasional downfield shot
  • MOBILITY - In the pocket .. not so great. Outside the pocket he is a surprisingly effective runner.
  • TOUGHNESS - Mitch can take a hit and keep going.Displays toughness running the ball.. sometimes a little reckless.
  • RED ZONE - Webb was very effective/efficient in the red zone the games I watched.
  • DECISION MAKING - Consistently solid..makes decisive throws.. generally does not put his team in bad spots.

GRADE - RD 2

CEILING - MAY BE CLOSE TO CEILING ALREADY

WATSON

• ARM STRENGTH - No issues. Can hit all points of the field.
  • ACCURACY - Somewhat inconsistent. At times shows solid anticipation, touch and effectively puts the ball into tight windows where only receiver can make a play. At other times throws are behind or off target
  • POCKET PRESENCE -One of his strengths. Even though he is very mobile he is willing to sit in the pocket.. scan the field, take a hit if necessary to deliver a strike.
  • QUICK GAME - Generally solid at executing the quick game
  • DRIVES BALL - Solid arm.. can reach all areas of the field. Not as much zip as Kizer but nevertheless can throw it on a rope.
  • DEEP MIDDLE - This is one area where he seemed to have some issues
  • DEEP SIDELINE - There are several examples of him completing deep sideline throws with touch.
  • FOOTWORK - Good footwork / synchronization with receivers even though predominately shotgun.
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Very aggressive.. consistently tries to look for intermediate/deep receivers and not afraid to try and force the ball into tight windows
  • MOBILITY - Good pocket shiftiness and also a threat running for yardage. Generally uses good judgement when to run/ not to run
  • TOUGHNESS - Doesn't shy away from contact
  • RED ZONE - Out of all prospects.. he is strongest in the Red Zone. Very confident.. very effective.
  • DECISION MAKING - His ultra aggressive style can often put his team in bad spots

GRADE - RD 2

CEILING - HIGH

PETERMAN

• ARM STRENGTH - Adequate arm strength.. but not as much zip as other prospects listed here.
  • ACCURACY - Very solid. Generally throws with anticipation and leads receivers.
  • POCKET PRESENCE -One of his strengths. As one of the only prospects who consistently took snaps under center he has displayed good NFL style pocket presence.
  • DRIVES BALL - Occasionally drives the ball.. but relies more on timing and touch.
  • DEEP MIDDLE - Outstanding. He consistently attacks the deep middle with accurate throws.
  • DEEP SIDELINE - I did not see many examples of him attempting or completing deep sideline throws.
  • FOOTWORK - Excellent. Experience under center allows him to display 3, 5 and 7 step drops. Generally gets ball out of his hand when he hits his drop.
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Good aggressiveness. Keeps eyes downfield and generally tries to prioritize intermediate/deep balls.
  • MOBILITY - Not as mobile as the other guys.. but not a statue either.
  • RED ZONE - He had mixed results in the Red Zone opportunities I saw.. did a good job in Senior Bowl in red zone.
  • DECISION MAKING - Saw a few bad decisions/ picks that put his team in bad spots.

GRADE - RD 3

CEILING - MOST NFL READY NOW.. CEILING NOT HIGH

Edited by Bocephuz

You see the problem with this logic though right? QB's are going to go early be overvalued as they always are. If the Bills decisions makers decide that one of these guys are the one they want under center then they very well will have to use that 1st, 2nd round pick. That in itself doesn't make it a bad pick, they just better get it right.

GMs and scouts have benefits that many of us at home don't, they get to meet with these kids 1 on 1 and guage their intelligence. IMO that is what would/should separate some of this clutter on draft day.

Definitely, and totally agree with you. Todays grades will not be the same come draft night at any position. Combine, interviews, workouts, etc will impact rankings, grades, projections greatly. I also agree about pulling the trigger on a player if the team believes thats their guy, and majorly agree that the team better be right if they do that. I have said in other threads that any of the top 3 QB's this year could improve their position to being a top 10 lock or hurt their poison to falling out of the first all together with how they do between now and the draft. It will be also interested to see if any of them choose to not throw at the combine and what that does to their draft stock if they do.

But none of us know what a FO is going to conclude, only they do. So our discussions are still based on what data is made available to us, our opinions, weighing opinions of experts/analysts, etc. Funny thing is, FireChan is trying to pile on me about the OP grades. He praises the OP but then attacks me when I AGREE with the OP and applaud him for a job well done. Too funny.

Since when does it? Isn't that the point of a grade?

You applauded him for not grading Watson #1 overall talent because the Browns might take him?

If the Browns take Watson over Myles everyone in that Front Office should be fired before they pick again at 12.

Below is my chart I used to evaluate the various QBs after watching game film on Draftbreakdown.com. I watched cutups of 3 games for each qb.

http://i.imgur.com/GYJjleQ.png[/iimg]

PETERMAN

• ARM STRENGTH - Adequate arm strength.. but not as much zip as other prospects listed here.
  • ACCURACY - Very solid. Generally throws with anticipation and leads receivers.
  • POCKET PRESENCE -One of his strengths. As one of the only prospects who consistently took snaps under center he has displayed good NFL style pocket presence.
  • DRIVES BALL - Occasionally drives the ball.. but relies more on timing and touch.
  • DEEP MIDDLE - Outstanding. He consistently attacks the deep middle with accurate throws.
  • DEEP SIDELINE - I did not see many examples of him attempting or completing deep sideline throws.
  • FOOTWORK - Excellent. Experience under center allows him to display 3, 5 and 7 step drops. Generally gets ball out of his hand when he hits his drop.
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Good aggressiveness. Keeps eyes downfield and generally tries to prioritize intermediate/deep balls.
  • RED ZONE - He had mixed results in the Red Zone opportunities I saw.. did a good job in Senior Bowl in red zone.
  • DECISION MAKING - Saw a few bad decisions/ picks that put his team in bad spots.
GRADE - RD 3

I like your mention of Peterman. I wouldn't call his footwork "excellent." He gets sloppy with that front foot and it leads to some wild throws. Same issue EJ has, actually. However, he's definitely further along than most other prospects. I also don't like how he tends to force it to his first read. Otherwise, great all-around QB prospect that I wouldn't mind if the Bills took after the 2nd round. I'm interested to see what happens to his stock during the pre-draft process.

I posted this earlier to you GunnerBill, but it was buried above in other stuff. So, just wanted to make sure you saw this as I am super curious on your take:

Hey GunnerBill...

Nice Work OP!

I think Kaaya and Mahomes are long-term projects... D Watson reminds me of Mcnabb... He won't pick up the pro game nearly as fast as people think....

-As for Trubisky, anyone who wants a more in-depth breakdown can find it here: http://nflmocks.com/2017/01/13/mitch-trubisky-qb-north-carolina-2017-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Wonder what the OP's opinion of QB Nate Peterman is?... He sure grabbed some fans after the Senior Bowl.

Nice Work OP!

I think Kaaya and Mahomes are long-term projects... D Watson reminds me of Mcnabb... He won't pick up the pro game nearly as fast as people think....

-As for Trubisky, anyone who wants a more in-depth breakdown can find it here: http://nflmocks.com/2017/01/13/mitch-trubisky-qb-north-carolina-2017-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Wonder what the OP's opinion of QB Nate Peterman is?... He sure grabbed some fans after the Senior Bowl.

Someone just posted about Peterman a couple posts up if you want to check that out.

Everytime his evaluation comes out I play the The Gunner's Dream from Pink Floyd and read his post. (...."quarterbacks come rushing, up to meet me now....)

I'm always struck by the same thing: why in hell is the position so damn hard to play, and even harder to evaluate and grade a prospect, even with 4 years of tape on some of them.

I would rank "throws with anticipation" as the number one factor from what he said. Tyrod has just about everything else (not sure how to grade TT's footwork after his late season, just-stand-there-and-dont-move-your-feet-at-all approach) but he doesn't have that, as the Gunner pointed out. In the NFL, that's one thing all solid qb's have.

I'd like to see one other category: fun factor. Tyrod has it, Rogers, Russell Wilson, Cam. I like watching fun qb's that improvise and play a little sandlot here and there. it's worth something to this fan....

GYJjleQ.png

KIZER

• ARM STRENGTH - Kizer appeared to have the strongest arm out of all the prospects. I don't see any limitations with him not being able to reach different parts of the field
  • ACCURACY - This is the one area where he is a bit hit and miss. Most of the time he throws with good anticipation and puts the ball in a favorable spot for his WR to have YAC. There are however periods of time when his accuracy dips
  • POCKET PRESENCE - Kizer has a very calm presence in the pocket. His body type and demeanor remind me of Warren Moon/ Dak Prescott. For me this is the trait that stands out for him the most compared to the other prospects
  • QUICK GAME - Kizer does an adequate job of executing the quick/short timing game. This is not his strong suit.
  • DRIVES BALL - Kizer has very good balance and does an excellent job of driving the ball with velocity to all parts of the field
  • DEEP MIDDLE - I saw several examples of Kizer displaying nice touch and velocity on deep middle routes
  • DEEP SIDELINE - Kizer's deep sideline ball is not as nice as his middle field deep throws.. he lacks a little touch. Nevertheless.. I saw him hit a few showing he's capable of executing that throw.
  • FOOTWORK - From what I saw Kizer had little to no reps from under center. With that being said.. his footwork/timing for a shotgun qb (which can be tricky) was the calmest.. most synched compared to the other prospects
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Kizer is not afraid to take shots and fit balls into tight windows.
  • MOBILITY - Kizer has very good mobility for a guy his size and there were many examples of him escaping the pocket to pick up first downs. His in-pocket mobility is also the most developed IMO.
  • TOUGHNESS - Kizer took some big hits .. and also dished out a few himself. Not afraid to launch his body at defenders.
  • RED ZONE - Kizer was effective/efficient in the red zone games I watched
  • DECISION MAKING - Kizer appeared to be decisive in executing his reads.. and the chances he took fitting balls into tight windows appeared reasonable for the most part.

GRADE - RD 1

CEILING - HIGH

WEBB

• ARM STRENGTH - Webb's arm strength is slightly behind Kizer's.. but better than the rest of the field. I don't see any limitations with him not being able to reach different parts of the field
  • ACCURACY - Webb's accuracy was surprisingly consistent. Most throws were placed in favorable positions for the WR... especially on the intermediate throws.
  • POCKET PRESENCE - Webb generally stands tall in the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield and delivers. I saw several examples of him sacrificing ..staying in the extra second to take a hit so he could execute a throw.
  • QUICK GAME - Webb does an adequate job of executing the quick/short timing game. His offense called for many bubble screens and short one step drops which he adequately executed for the most part
  • DRIVES BALL - Webb can consistently drive the ball to all parts of the field.. even if he is off balance or his footwork is off. He will occasionally try and lob balls into spots where he should be driving the ball (there was a good example of this in the Senior Bowl)
  • DEEP MIDDLE - This is one of Webb's strong suits. With his height,vision and patience and arm strength.. he was consistently able to hit deep seam routes over the middle accurately allowing YAC for the receiver
  • DEEP SIDELINE - As displayed in the Senior Bowl.. Webb throws the nicest deep sideline ball out of all the prospects.
  • FOOTWORK - Having little to no experience under center.. his footwork can be a little sloppy at times. He is able to overcome the bad footwork with his strong arm many times.. but that may not fly as well in the NFL
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Webb is ultra aggressive and is always looking to take intermediate and deep shots. Not afraid to place the ball in tight up for grabs windows.
  • MOBILITY - Has very decent mobility for a guy his size .. is good at hanging in pocket and shifting to buy time
  • TOUGHNESS - Webb can take a hit and keep going.
  • RED ZONE - Webb was effective/efficient in the red zone games I watched
  • DECISION MAKING - This is one area where he can be inconsistent. He sometimes takes too many chances that defenses make him pay for.

GRADE - RD 2

CEILING - HIGH

TRUBISKY

• ARM STRENGTH - Trubisky's arm strength is adequate.. he can hit most areas of the field. He does not drive the ball as well as Watson, Kizer, Webb however.
  • ACCURACY - This is his strength. Out of all prospects... Trubisky is most consistent in throwing with anticipation and leading his receivers.
  • POCKET PRESENCE - Trubisky generally looks comfortable in the pocket when he is able to hit his drop and get the ball out quickly. He can be a little rattled when his first read isn't there and he has to buy himself time
  • QUICK GAME - Outstanding. Has a great clock in his head and excels in being able to get the ball out of his hands quickly to his playmakers.
  • DRIVES BALL - Not a weak arm.. but more of a touch thrower than a dart thrower
  • DEEP MIDDLE - Is able to see plays develop over the deep middle and is not afraid to attempt and can execute these throws
  • DEEP SIDELINE - There are several examples of him completing deep sideline throws.
  • FOOTWORK - Good footwork / synchronization with receivers. Should be a good West Coast QB.
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Tends to take what's given to him rather than waiting for deeper routes to develop.. but will take the occasional downfield shot
  • MOBILITY - In the pocket .. not so great. Outside the pocket he is a surprisingly effective runner.
  • TOUGHNESS - Mitch can take a hit and keep going.Displays toughness running the ball.. sometimes a little reckless.
  • RED ZONE - Webb was very effective/efficient in the red zone the games I watched.
  • DECISION MAKING - Consistently solid..makes decisive throws.. generally does not put his team in bad spots.

GRADE - RD 2

CEILING - MAY BE CLOSE TO CEILING ALREADY

WATSON

• ARM STRENGTH - No issues. Can hit all points of the field.
  • ACCURACY - Somewhat inconsistent. At times shows solid anticipation, touch and effectively puts the ball into tight windows where only receiver can make a play. At other times throws are behind or off target
  • POCKET PRESENCE -One of his strengths. Even though he is very mobile he is willing to sit in the pocket.. scan the field, take a hit if necessary to deliver a strike.
  • DRIVES BALL - Solid arm.. can reach all areas of the field. Not as much zip as Kizer but nevertheless can throw it on a rope.
  • DEEP MIDDLE - This is one area where he seemed to have some issues
  • DEEP SIDELINE - There are several examples of him completing deep sideline throws with touch.
  • FOOTWORK - Good footwork / synchronization with receivers even though predominately shotgun.
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Very aggressive.. consistently tries to look for intermediate/deep receivers and not afraid to try and force the ball into tight windows
  • MOBILITY - Good pocket shiftiness and also a threat running for yardage. Generally uses good judgement when to run/ not to run
  • RED ZONE - Out of all prospects.. he is strongest in the Red Zone. Very confident.. very effective.
  • DECISION MAKING - His ultra aggressive style can often put his team in bad spots

GRADE - RD 2

CEILING - HIGH

PETERMAN

GRADE - RD 3

Thanks for the Peterman/Webb breakdown... Peterman is a bit of a distraction for me.. He actually looks like he could be decent... Still can't agree with taking ANY of these kids At 10... At 10 I'd like to see immediate impact player... Preferrably on offense... -Ever heard of that OJ Howard kid? :D

I like your mention of Peterman. I wouldn't call his footwork "excellent." He gets sloppy with that front foot and it leads to some wild throws. Same issue EJ has, actually. However, he's definitely further along than most other prospects. I also don't like how he tends to force it to his first read. Otherwise, great all-around QB prospect that I wouldn't mind if the Bills took after the 2nd round. I'm interested to see what happens to his stock during the pre-draft process.

Good observation.. He's like a white unicorn because he actually has film operating under center.. so perhaps in relation to the other guys footwork is excellent but relative to NFL standards probably not

Maybe I can help by explaining what I mean by "grade".

I have a grading system that is similar to but not the same as what the pro teams use. So basically there are a number of marks in each round. I use 12 marks per round as I don't think 10 gives me enough room to differentiate.

When I say, for example, that Watson is a mid first grade I mean he is in the middle of the range of first round marks. It doesn't mean I think he is the 16th best player in this class.

The mark I have given to Watson would actually have had him as the 9th best player on my board last draft season... but to me that is still a mid first round grade because if you start moving your standards every year dependant on the strength of the class you lose all objectivity. In total last year I gave 24 1st round grades. Now clearly there are more than 24 picks in the first round so more players will be picked there but to me there were 24 players who I gave a first round grade (which means I thought them capable for being franchise players - the kind who go to pro bowls and are slam dunk re-signs when their rookie contract expires.

I can't tell you where Watson's grade will put him on this year's board yet because I haven't gone into the other position groups in enough depth. I suspect he will end up in and around the 10th to 12th spot on my big board but let's see.

Grade does not mean position on the board. Grade is an objective standard that does not change year to year... but a grade that makes a player the 20th player on the big board one year may make him the 10th player on the big board the year after because the big boars is relative to that year's class.

And whilst I have seen Chad Kelly play - I watched Ole Miss a couple of times early thinking he was in play I have not evaluated him as a prospect.

Peterman I haven't watched. Again I am but one man.... and I have a job!

Edited by GunnerBill

Maybe I can help by explaining what I mean by "grade".

I have a grading system that is similar to but not the same as what the pro teams use. So basically there are a number of marks in each round. I use 12 marks per round as I don't think 10 gives me enough room to differentiate.

When I say, for example, that Watson is a mid first grade I mean he is in the middle of the range of first round marks. It doesn't mean I think he is the 16th best player in this class.

The mark I have given to Watson would actually have had him as the 9th best player on my board last draft season... but to me that is still a mid first round grade because if you start moving your standards every year dependant on the strength of the class. In total last year I gave 24 1st round grades. Now clearly there are more than 24 picks in the first round so more players will be picked there but to me there were 24 players who I gave a first round grade (which means I thought them capable for being franchise players - the kind who go to pro bowls and are slam dunk re-signs when their rookie contract expires.

I can't tell you where Watson's grade will put him on this year's board yet because I haven't gone into the other position groups in enough depth. I suspect he will end up in and around the 10th to 12th spot on my big board but let's see.

Grade does not mean position on the board. Grade is an objective standard that does not change year to year... but a grade that makes a player the 20th player on the big board one year may make him the 10th player on the big board the year after because the big boars is relative to that year's class.

And whilst I have seen Chad Kelly play - I watched Ole Miss a couple of times early thinking he was in play I have not evaluated him as a prospect.

Peterman I haven't watched. Again I am but one man.... and I have a job!

I assume most QB's with 1st round grades either go 1 or 2 or right after the couple can't miss non-QB prospects. Curious where you had EJ graded out at?

Edited by BuffaloRebound