Evaluation of 5 Quarterbacks in the 2017 Draft

GunnerBill

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked this scout's view of Kizer:

Against Duke, Kizer was 7 for 11 in throws 15 yards or more downfield and outside the hashmarks, with one of them being a touchdown, one dropped, and only one being a really poor decision. Those throws, one of the most indicative “NFL throws” a college passer can make, are at a level that rivals Jameis Winston and Andrew Luck in terms of his placement, anticipation and confidence. I counted five times Kizer made a true second and third read that wasn’t entirely predetermined, something most college quarterbacks never do throughout a game, nonetheless feel confident in doing in a tight matchup. His vertical throws, as in the one below, are still remarkably well-placed and thrown with generally great footwork and body positioning, except for his game-losing interception that was an inexcusable lapse in judgment.

KIZER

• ARM STRENGTH - Kizer appeared to have the strongest arm out of all the prospects. I don't see any limitations with him not being able to reach different parts of the field
  • ACCURACY - This is the one area where he is a bit hit and miss. Most of the time he throws with good anticipation and puts the ball in a favorable spot for his WR to have YAC. There are however periods of time when his accuracy dips
  • POCKET PRESENCE - Kizer has a very calm presence in the pocket. His body type and demeanor remind me of Warren Moon/ Dak Prescott. For me this is the trait that stands out for him the most compared to the other prospects
  • QUICK GAME - Kizer does an adequate job of executing the quick/short timing game. This is not his strong suit.
  • DRIVES BALL - Kizer has very good balance and does an excellent job of driving the ball with velocity to all parts of the field
  • DEEP MIDDLE - I saw several examples of Kizer displaying nice touch and velocity on deep middle routes
  • DEEP SIDELINE - Kizer's deep sideline ball is not as nice as his middle field deep throws.. he lacks a little touch. Nevertheless.. I saw him hit a few showing he's capable of executing that throw.
  • FOOTWORK - From what I saw Kizer had little to no reps from under center. With that being said.. his footwork/timing for a shotgun qb (which can be tricky) was the calmest.. most synched compared to the other prospects
  • AGGRESSIVENESS - Kizer is not afraid to take shots and fit balls into tight windows.
  • MOBILITY - Kizer has very good mobility for a guy his size and there were many examples of him escaping the pocket to pick up first downs. His in-pocket mobility is also the most developed IMO.
  • TOUGHNESS - Kizer took some big hits .. and also dished out a few himself. Not afraid to launch his body at defenders.
  • RED ZONE - Kizer was effective/efficient in the red zone games I watched
  • DECISION MAKING - Kizer appeared to be decisive in executing his reads.. and the chances he took fitting balls into tight windows appeared reasonable for the most part.

GRADE - RD 1

CEILING - HIGH

To boil it down, Taylor doesn't get it done in crunch time. Forget comparing stats, records, metrics...NFL QBs are judged by what they do in crunch time. I can only remember one game in which Taylor did this.

You mean the potential season saving game vs Miami when he left the field in the 4th quarter with the lead after driving his team down the field for the potential winning TD? Too bad Rex's defense could do squat. IF we had Schwartz's defense with Greg Roman's offense the last two years we would have made the playoffs both years.

I counted five times Kizer made a true second and third read that wasnt entirely predetermined, something most college quarterbacks never do throughout a game

No doubt from the shoulders up Kizer did more than the rest at the college level. I just don't believe his reads are sharp and consistent enough or his throws are accurate enough.

No doubt from the shoulders up Kizer did more than the rest at the college level. I just don't believe his reads are sharp and consistent enough or his throws are accurate enough.

The team he played for last year was not good. His receiving corps was second-rate. I watched a couple of Irish games and it seemed that their HC was shell shocked. If I recall correctly the coaching staff was shuffled during the season.

There are good qb prospects in this draft. None of them seem ready to play immediately. That's the norm and I am fine with that. The Bills are going to do what they normally do by bypassing qb prospects for the more highly rated player on the board. The net effect is a status quo status.