To QB or to not QB

By all accounts this is not a good year to draft a QB. If you use a 1,2,or3 to draft a QB this year you lose out on the chance to get a legit prospect next year because you will be waiting for your prospect to develop. Good things come to those who wait. I know it's been 17 years but what is another year or two in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Original Byrd Man

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe a QB this year is the best course of action but that's more of a function of the specific players. I like Watson some, not big on Kizer or Trubisky and think Mahomes is a lottery ticket. The available players determine if it's time or not.

You can't ever say "we need a QB let's go find one." That's how you end up with EJ. You say "I think Blake Bortles is a franchise guy, let's go get him."

I don't believe a QB this year is the best course of action but that's more of a function of the specific players. I like Watson some, not big on Kizer or Trubisky and think Mahomes is a lottery ticket. The available players determine if it's time or not.

You can't ever say "we need a QB let's go find one." That's how you end up with EJ. You say "I think Blake Bortles is a franchise guy, let's go get him."

Exactly--if you think a guy can become a franchise QB, then you take him. No exceptions.

WE (fans) do not have the necessary skills and knowledge to know a "Franchise QB" if he was staring us in the face... It's more than just stats... I'm not sure the Bills (or most other NFL FO) do either... But you have to at least TRY...

If you want to take the defeatist point of view, then nothing is gonna matter until Brady retires anyway...

We got nothing nothing out of our top two draft picks last season... Dak Prescott would have looked pretty good in the 2nd or even in the 3rd round (instead of A. Washington for example)

The draft is a crap shoot anyway you look at it... QB is THE most important position on the team... But we should ignore it again - until NEXT year??? and then we can ignore it till the year after that because maybe there will be another bunch of supposedly better QB's???

Try living in the here and the now for a change...

We don't have the draft capital to trade up and have too many holes to fill already. QBs taken between pick ~8 and the end of the first round is an astronomically high bust rate, that's where desperate teams talk themselves into guys. There's too many potential impact players available at pick 10. If one of Watson / Trubinsky / Kizer / even Mahomes (though I agree with Kirby on his lottery ticketness) is available in round 2 at our pick (without moving up), I'd take them. I'm not opposed on using a pick in round 3 - 5 on a guy to fight with Cardale. But we need impact players at other positions outside of QB as well.

So glad others are able to see this. I want a franchise QB just as bad as the next person. And I do believe you need one to be playoff competitive. But you need to scout the QBs and find someone you truly believe in. Even if that means waiting another year or two. If you evaluate the QBs and don't see anyone you are confident in, it's just boneheaded to say "well we need one so, even if we don't like any QBs, we need to reach for one".

You just can't force it. Yes, go after a guy with a legit chance at being a FQB. But don't waste precious draft capital on mirages or big reaches. The OP is way overstating the matter by saying not to go after one in rounds 1-3. That's ridiculous. I don't see a guy worth a top 10 pick, but there are guys I'd jump at in the 2nd round. I'd even move up from our second rounder for a couple. Edited by BarleyNY

This pretty much. Cant force it. If shes fat and she dont wash her ass so her poon smells like a corpse when you eat it. You kinda let her go. Cant keep her around just for the nookie. Gotta release and keep drafting till you find one who washes herself properly, fat or not.

WE (fans) do not have the necessary skills and knowledge to know a "Franchise QB" if he was staring us in the face... It's more than just stats... I'm not sure the Bills (or most other NFL FO) do either... But you have to at least TRY...

:lol::lol: this is true.

Trade up for Tru !

Let it go breh. Biskys going to be a Jet.

Might be an unpopular opinion fwiw, but looks to be greater value at WR or DB for the 10th pick - both are positional needs. Call me crazy, but I'm more meh on this year's QB class spending a top ten pick (regardless of how badly we need a franchise solution). Also be down for long term commitment to upgrading the OL - see Raiders, Cowboys, etc. They're never a sexy pick, but often make the greatest offensive impact IMO. We could use at least two positional upgrades along our line as it stands.

Might be an unpopular opinion fwiw, but looks to be greater value at WR or DB for the 10th pick - both are positional needs. Call me crazy, but I'm more meh on this year's QB class spending a top ten pick (regardless of how badly we need a franchise solution). Also be down for long term commitment to upgrading the OL - see Raiders, Cowboys, etc. They're never a sexy pick, but often make the greatest offensive impact IMO. We could use at least two positional upgrades along our line as it stands.

Agreed. Foster, Hooker, Williams, or Adams (in that order) at #10 would be great. Not liking any of the projected first round QB's in this draft. If Mahomes were there in round 3, however, I would support that pick.

Fix the defense, bolster RT and WR through FA, and roll with T-Mobile.

The issue isn't whether or not this is a good year to draft a QB, it is whether or not the Bills have the right guy in place that knows a franchise QB when he sees him. In 2013 Whaley drafted EJ 19th overall - bust.

He missed again in 2014 when he traded from 9 to 4 to get Watkins. If he would have stayed put, he could have drafted ODB or Cooks and then traded up in round 2 to land Carr. Instead, he traded down with the Rams and we ended up with Kouandjio.

In 2016, he takes a flier on Cardale Jones in the 4th and he missed on Dak Prescott.

The man behind the curtain is the reason the Bills continue to miss the playoffs. Just look at his draft record and you'll see that we have a "smoke and mirrors" GM who never seems to get it right.

Cooks + Carr = Playoffs

Watkins + TT = New Coach

The issue isn't whether or not this is a good year to draft a QB, it is whether or not the Bills have the right guy in place that knows a franchise QB when he sees him. In 2013 Whaley drafted EJ 19th overall - bust.

He missed again in 2014 when he traded from 9 to 4 to get Watkins. If he would have stayed put, he could have drafted ODB or Cooks and then traded up in round 2 to land Carr. Instead, he traded down with the Rams and we ended up with Kouandjio.

In 2016, he takes a flier on Cardale Jones in the 4th and he missed on Dak Prescott.

The man behind the curtain is the reason the Bills continue to miss the playoffs. Just look at his draft record and you'll see that we have a "smoke and mirrors" GM who never seems to get it right.

Cooks + Carr = Playoffs

Watkins + TT = New Coach

The stats are posted in the draft thread but roughly 1 out of 16 QBs, picked in rounds 1&2 (excluding the top 3 picks) over the last 11 drafts would be a franchise guy. That would be Carr and Flacco. There are some others that are serviceable but I'm not sure that there's another guy ahead of Tyrod even. That's 6.25% of those guys.

We love to use Derek Carr and Dak Prescott but we always seem to exclude the over 90% of other guys. For every Carr, there are 15 Tebows. For every Dak there are 20+ Levi Browns.

The stats are posted in the draft thread but roughly 1 out of 16 QBs, picked in rounds 1&2 (excluding the top 3 picks) over the last 11 drafts would be a franchise guy. That would be Carr and Flacco. There are some others that are serviceable but I'm not sure that there's another guy ahead of Tyrod even. That's 6.25% of those guys.

We love to use Derek Carr and Dak Prescott but we always seem to exclude the over 90% of other guys. For every Carr, there are 15 Tebows. For every Dak there are 20+ Levi Browns.

QB fever. They all look like franchise players in April.

If you want to take the defeatist point of view, then nothing is gonna matter until Brady retires anyway...

I get tired of hearing this from the Tankers.

In Tommy's career the other 2 teams in our division have been to the playoffs twice with the Jets actually getting to the AFC Championship game twice.

Why haven't we? It's our own dang fault.

Edited by reddogblitz