Chiefs WR coach = Bills QB coach

YoloinOhio

Interesting

@alexmarvez

I'm told @Chiefs WRs coach David Culley is leaving to become @buffalobills QBs coach. Working to confirm.

@salsports

I reported he was interviewing with Bills last week in some capacity. Now it looks like we know what it was for

LT: in keeping with clear theme and direction Bills have gone with ast coach hires, Culley has been an NFL coach for 22 years.

He also worked with McDermott in Philly under Andy Reid. Coached QBs at college level. Has been WR and assistant HC in NFL

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting

@alexmarvez

I'm told @Chiefs WRs coach David Culley is leaving to become @buffalobills QBs coach. Working to confirm.

@salsports

I reported he was interviewing with Bills last week in some capacity. Now it looks like we know what it was for

LT: in keeping with clear theme and direction Bills have gone with ast coach hires, Culley has been an NFL coach for 22 years.

He also worked with McDermott in Philly under Andy Reid. Coached QBs at college level. Has been WR and assistant HC in NFL

Maybe he can coach Tyrod on what a catchable ball actually looks like?

Didn't the Chiefs wideouts go all of 2015 w/out a TD?

It was 2014. They had an exceptionally poor receiving core that was headlined by Jason Avant, Donnie Avery and a Dwayne Bowe. Avery and Bowe were on their last legs. They lost 3 WRs who were on their roster the previous year.

Chiefs went 9-7 that season and had much better targets in Anthony Fasano, Travis Kelce and Jamaal Charles. They caught enough touchdowns for a winning record.

I'm not really sure it says anything about his ability to coach WRs or QBs.

Interesting

@alexmarvez

@salsports

Part of the role of a QB Coach is to play mini-OC: breakdown game tape, look for tendencies, prepare the players for the upcoming game plan and so on. A good WR coach could transition pretty smoothly to these kinds of tasks.

But you also want the QB Coach to coach the mechanics of the position: footwork, throwing motioning, where to look with your eyes, and so on. This would be hard transition for a WR coach who would lack both the expertise and the credibility. Seems like a very odd hire though maybe we're missing something.

It was 2014. They had an exceptionally poor receiving core that was headlined by Jason Avant, Donnie Avery and a Dwayne Bowe. Avery and Bowe were on their last legs. They lost 3 WRs who were on their roster the previous year.

Chiefs went 9-7 that season and had much better targets in Anthony Fasano, Travis Kelce and Jamaal Charles. They caught enough touchdowns for a winning record.

I'm not really sure it says anything about his ability to coach WRs or QBs.

Yeah I don't think it does either. I was just stating a fun fact.