Brady's Legacy

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Super Bowl appearances,

I do think just getting there is a great accomplishment for a QB, but that can be negated by the performance in the game. For instance, McNabb puking on the field during the potentially game-winning drive defines his career for me.

Agree 100% with your first two paragraphs.

Devil's Advocate question re: the third paragraph: could Brady have led four separate head coaches to four Super Bowl appearances like Manning did?

From a ring perspective, Brady has had a massive advantage over Peyton simply because of who Brady's one single head coach has been as opposed to the handful that Peyton played under. Not saying Brady didn't have a huge responsibility for the Patriots Machine. But...

That's a very good Question, and I honestly don't know I think it would depend on who those coaches were and if they kept the O system in place. (Sort of what happened with Manning they kept that O the same.) if the O scheme stayed the same my guess would be yes. (Again I am biased)

I agree with metz. Its kinda like with Jack Nicholson. He has the most second place Major finishes in golf history at 19, which is almost double the next man up on the list who has 10. So often the bridesmaid, he is widely considered a choke case and a loser despite his incredible successes.

This.

I agree with metz. Its kinda like with Jack Nicholson. He has the most second place Major finishes in golf history at 19, which is almost double the next man up on the list who has 10. So often the bridesmaid, he is widely considered a choke case and a loser despite his incredible successes.

Golf is an individual sport and you decide your own fate. Football is a team sport and as I mentioned in every SB (to date) Brady has staked the team to a lead with around 2 minutes or less on the clock there is nothing more annoffensive player can do than get the lead near the end of the game.

Golf is an individual sport and you decide your own fate. Football is a team sport and as I mentioned in every SB (to date) Brady has staked the team to a lead with around 2 minutes or less on the clock there is nothing more annoffensive player can do than get the lead near the end of the game.

Except not play like ass for the first 55 minutes of the game. You're allowed to play well before your last offensive series and not have to depend on your defense to save the day. Especially when you're the "greatest of all time*".

*does not include games against Peyton Manning's kid brother.

Except not play like ass for the first 55 minutes of the game. You're allowed to play well before your last offensive series and not have to depend on your defense to save the day. Especially when you're the "greatest of all time*".

*does not include games against Peyton Manning's kid brother.

Umm so your facing a top D and you score late to take the lead and it is his fault the D can't. Hold onto it and that the Giants in one case got like 2 miracles to happen?? Again a team sport and 4-2 is better than 4-0.

Re: Super Bowl appearances,

I do think just getting there is a great accomplishment for a QB, but that can be negated by the performance in the game. For instance, McNabb puking on the field during the potentially game-winning drive defines his career for me.

Sadly, it turns out that would be the high point of Andy Reid's HC career.

Brady is going to retire when they win this SB vs the Falcons.

He wants to go out on top when he can still play.

I'm not guessing or making this up.

Not trying to argue with you, but does that contradict him saying he's playing until his AARP years? I hope he quits tomorrow.

Brady will - and should - go down as the greatest QB to ever play the game.

Anyone who disagrees simply hates him.

He is the best, ever.

The Truth.

He will go down as one of the best of all time. Not sure that he will be ranked #1 (Joe Montana will be for those old enough to have seen him play).

I think the only area where he will be the clear #1 is in the category of biggest d0uchebag.

You wish. I saw Montana's entire career.

Brady's better.

Not a chance Brady retires if they win. I would bet a lot of money on that

I was surprised too. I also would have bet big $$ against it. Not now, though.

But I guess it makes sense given that when the wall comes for a QB (and it always does, kale smoothies and roasted beets or not) it comes quickly.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I was surprised too. I also would have bet big $$ against it. Not now, though.

But I guess it makes sense given that when the wall comes for a QB (and it always does, kale smoothies and roasted beets or not) it comes quickly.

I will say if Manning had not hurt his neck all those years ago. He is still playing at a high level and leading the Colts into the playoffs. That neck injury truly shortened a great career.

Brady's legacy will be marked with an asterisk, like Canseco, Bonds, McGuire. Unlike Baseball, NFL isn't capable of dealing with the truth, it doesn't want to destroy its brand. So its media department and NFL films will buff out all the warts from memory as time goes by, and make Brady the greatest. But those of us who lived in this time remember the truth: the QB who was a tool for the greatest cheater in NFL history. Yes he had an arm, but you'd always wonder, would he have won all those games without Belicheat. If he was elsewhere, fell to another team in 6th round, would he still be around? Is he just a shade better than Matt Cassel and end up with a similar career? In the end he was more lucky than Great. That's the Tom Brady story.

Brady's legacy will be marked with an asterisk, like Canseco, Bonds, McGuire. Unlike Baseball, NFL isn't capable of dealing with the truth, it doesn't want to destroy its brand. So its media department and NFL films will buff out all the warts from memory as time goes by, and make Brady the greatest. But those of us who lived in this time remember the truth: the QB who was a tool for the greatest cheater in NFL history. Yes he had an arm, but you'd always wonder, would he have won all those games without Belicheat. If he was elsewhere, fell to another team in 6th round, would he still be around? Is he just a shade better than Matt Cassel and end up with a similar career? In the end he was more lucky than Great. That's the Tom Brady story.

Wow that was a very very salty post.

I'm sure I'll take heat for saying this but I still believe Manning > Brady. # of super bowl titles is a good measuring stick but it doesn't say everything. Elway > Montana and Bradshaw and I'll stand by that belief for the rest of my life.

Regarding Manning vs Brady, here's how their teams have done without them. Pats have gone 11-5 and 3-1 without Brady. After Manning, Colts went 2-14 and looked horrendous. And the Broncos who won the superbowl because of their defense last year fielded mostly the same defense this year and missed the playoffs. That speaks volumes louder the # of rings.