Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

You also have a chance to get out cheap and go back to awful QB production and then make need based decisions trying to find a new QB.

The problem with a Bills GM and needs on draft day...........is that it becomes a "loaded gun" situation.....to use the phrasing from Something About Mary.

When that GM needs it.......he makes bad decisions.

As I've said many times.......when the Bills don't EVEN HAVE a first round pick.......resigned to not being able to systematically plug each roster breach........they tend to draft MUCH BETTER with their second round pick(Thurman Thomas, Sam Cowart, Ronald Darby).

So keep a good QB even if it means spending a whopping $5m-$7M more per year than you think he's worth and use that time to make more clear-headed assessments of prospects in the next few seasons.

Good post, but don't forget ol' Roscoe!!

So don't take a QB high this year, wait until we're good again.

It's been working so far.

That's not what he said AT ALL.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take a QB in the first every year if it were up to me. A first round pick not used on a QB has virtually no chance of being a franchise changer.

But I take issue with putting that rookie/unprepared QB on the field in a losing environment/culture.......which describes the Bills NOW.

And ALSO not having competition for them, which is what you and others are asking for seemingly without considering the burden that places on the mind of a young QB.

It occasionally works doing it your way.......Matt Stafford being dropped into losing culture Detroit would be a comparably toxic situation to the Bills current one......but he was a #1 overall talent and it took him 6 years to get his head on straight despite having the greatest WR on the planet for most of that time.

But the teams that have set the bar for sustained success in the NFL.......New England, Pittsburgh and Green Bay........all either allowed their QB's to develop on the sidelines or had a solid, proven effective system to step into.

That is what I want........sustained success.

I think with TT making it possible to score at a high rate for the next 1-3 seasons, despite an OL with 4 mediocre-to-awful pass blockers, affords the Bills to get stronger in other areas and break the losing culture while hopefully improving both sides of the ball using a BPA approach in the draft and using free agency to fill holes at cheaper and less important positions.

i dont know about using the first every year but def more often then we are....the problrm is rook qbs are mostly not ready, need to be groomed, and onlt so many reps to go around...i feel like qbs would greatly benefit from a develpmrntal league like the nba has.

i am TOTALLY against starting a rookie out the gate unless we are tanking. these same fans calling for that will be losing their friggen minds as they watch them making rookie mistakrs probably while the defense improves

The team would be a disaster next season if they start a rookie QB.

4 to 5 wins.

It could be an investment.

Sticking with Tyrod to get 7-8 wins .. again .. would be pissing money away.

It could be an investment.

Sticking with Tyrod to get 7-8 wins .. again .. would be pissing money away.

How so?

The only very high first round picks to win a SB at QB since the Bills playoff drought started are named Manning.

Otherwise you could have gotten the rest of them on draft day coming off a 7 win type season.

The team would be a disaster next season if they start a rookie QB.

4 to 5 wins.

A season of evaluating Watson and a chance to grab Darnold in 2018?

Sign me up!

How so?

The only very high first round picks to win a SB at QB since the Bills playoff drought started are named Manning.

Otherwise you could have gotten the rest of them on draft day coming off a 7 win type season.

How many times do we have to go over that this team doesn't draft QB's unless we win 6 games or less?

How many times do we have to go over that this team doesn't draft QB's unless we win 6 games or less?

I apologize. :flirt:

HOWEVER....... the fact that they have never picked a QB inside the top 10 of any draft......would seem to dispel the cause/effect aspect of that take.

How about we compromise? We draft a QB every two years regardless of who is at the helm.

I say if they do not keep Tyrod, then better go for Watson and nothing less.

But I am of the mind, set up the 2018 draft this year. Fill the holes, and then you are just a QB away. McDermott should have found himself solid ground by then. Play Tyrod two years or until injury.

BTW the new contract had best be smart about the injury clauses , if is the route they choose

I

Edited by 3rdand12

How about we compromise? We draft a QB every two years regardless of who is at the helm.

I say if they do not keep Tyrod, then better go for Watson and nothing less.

But I am of the mind, set up the 2018 draft this year. Fill the holes, and then you are just a QB away. McDermott should have found himself solid ground by then. Play Tyrod two years or until injury.

BTW the new contract had best be smart about the injury clauses , if that the route they choose

I

Given (1) the importance of the QB position, and (2) the scouting profession's inability to accurately project the NFL futures of college QBs, I'm all in favor of this.

Here's how many points the Lynn/Tyrod combo put up on each of their opponents

Cards 33

Pats 16

Rams 30

49ers 45

Fins 25

Pats 25

Hawks 25

Bengals 16

Jags 28

Raiders 24

Steelers 20

Browns 33

Fins 31

That averages to 27 points per game - the same number I've been saying all along.

Different folks are going to attribute the success of that offense to different people. But the fact remains that when Lynn was calling the plays and Tyrod was under center, the Bills O was productive.

What if the Bills stayed with the 2014 D playbook and 4-3

2014 season : Buffalo finished the season as a top five defense, ranking fourth overall,
points per game (4th – 18.1) giving up
2016 , Games Taylor played , scoring average 27 pts per game

Incorrect buddy, it's broke down in a different thread. The offense under Taylor scored something like 20.4 ppg., I don't remember exact numbers, but c'mon get your **** right or shut up!

I personally did the math by looking through the individual TD's and FG's for the 13 games that had TT and ALynn. You are 100% incorrect and that is a fact. The Offense produced 25.9 points per game with that combo.

Per Hondo:

Cards 33 (-7 D TD, 26)

Pats 16

Rams 30 (-7 D TD, 23)

49ers 45

Fins 25

Pats 25

Hawks 25

Bengals 16

Jags 28

Raiders 24

Steelers 20