Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Everyone complaining about TT, I don't hear any better answers at QB. The top two in the draft won't be there as their stock will go up as you get closer to the draft like the last few years. Romo is one hit from retirement, and Washington will never let Cousins walk.

So what is the solution? Hint, hint, there is none. We were 7th in scoring. The problem Mcdermitt needs to fix is the defense, and we did it a couple of years ago. Overall, Pettiness defense was good, but 28th against the run. Schwartz saw our talent and fixed it.

I see Frazier getting a lot more out of these players plus what we do in the draft. We really need one to two durable WR, and two Safeties.

Yup, we were 7th in scoring. Thank goodness for the defense and STs that gave us well above average field positions starts despite the defense receiving well below-average field position starts. And scored three TDs as well, which is also better than average.

And also thank goodness for the running game which was the part of the offense that worked at an extremely high level.

Because the passing game was substandard.

There is indeed a problem. And it's the defense and the offensive passing game.

Weird. Foles has better numbers than Tyrod.

Yeah - Nick foles 2015 with the rams was such a stud... Hard to replicate that 56% completion percentage and the 2.1% TD percentage. 186 yards per game... with no addition to the running game!

He played so well in 2016 with KC that they almost lost to Jax! They needed 4 turnovers on defense... oh and scored 1 td and had 4 FGs. Sounds like a real studly QB.

Foles is now 3 years removed from being any good - and has bounced around the league with a terrible contract.

What's Matt Schaub doing while were at it? He went to the pro bowl in 2012!

Edited by dneveu

Agreed. Everyone complaining about TT, I don't hear any better answers at QB. The top two in the draft won't be there as their stock will go up as you get closer to the draft like the last few years. Romo is one hit from retirement, and Washington will never let Cousins walk.

So what is the solution? Hint, hint, there is none. We were 7th in scoring. The problem Mcdermitt needs to fix is the defense, and we did it a couple of years ago. Overall, Pettiness defense was good, but 28th against the run. Schwartz saw our talent and fixed it.

I see Frazier getting a lot more out of these players plus what we do in the draft. We really need one to two durable WR, and two Safeties.

Agreed. TT is our best option right now, and the bigger issue this season was the defense. McDermott fixes that, and we get the 3-4 more wins we need to end the playoff drought.

Of course theyll have the stones. Because combining TT's cap hit with that of a 2nd round draft pick we are still taking only an average cap hit at the QB position compared to other teams in the NFL. And THAT is the only thing that matters.

No, it is very far from the only thing that matters.

I get why people only want to talk about the cap hit. It makes Taylor's contract look reasonable.

But the logic isn't even close to reasonable.

When deciding whether to take on a contract, you look at the whole impact. Which includes more than just one year's salary cap hit.

If they keep Tyrod for one year and let him go, the total impact will be the guaranteed total, which is $30.5 mill, and guaranteed money is guaranteed to hit the cap. For one year of Tyrod Taylor. Which is absolute malfeasance and grounds for GM dismissal, so they'd probably keep him for two years, which would mean that $40.75 mill will be guaranteed. For two years of Tyrod Taylor. And one or two years total, those are by far the two likeliest outcomes.

No, it is very far from the only thing that matters.

I get why people only want to talk about the cap hit. It makes Taylor's contract look reasonable.

But the logic isn't even close to reasonable.

When deciding whether to take on a contract, you look at the whole impact. Which includes more than just one year's salary cap hit.

If they keep Tyrod for one year and let him go, the total impact will be the guaranteed total, which is $30.5 mill, and guaranteed money is guaranteed to hit the cap. For one year of Tyrod Taylor. Which is absolute malfeasance and grounds for GM dismissal, so they'd probably keep him for two years, which would mean that $40.75 mill will be guaranteed. For two years of Tyrod Taylor. And one or two years total, those are by far the two likeliest outcomes.

I just want the stupid playoff drought to end. Houston has made the playoffs quite a few times with almost all mediocre-to-bad QBs. Matt Schaub made it twice. Hoyer made it once. Even Osweiler got them there. I know the divisions different without Manning, but who cares. Get me to the playoffs so i can stop hearing about our drought all the time.

I agree about TT. But interestingly enough, the Washington media is having a field day today with information that the Redskins are looking to trade Cousins for some draft picks. I think that's a bad move. They think Colt McCoy can step in short term, do a decent job running their offense and do it with fewer turnovers.

I agree about TT. But interestingly enough, the Washington media is having a field day today with information that the Redskins are looking to trade Cousins for some draft picks. I think that's a bad move. They think Colt McCoy can step in short term, do a decent job running their offense and do it with fewer turnovers.

hmmm

also Browns have lots of draft picks and cap space

Edited by ALF

I can't go through all 11 pages so this has likely been said....

I think keeping TT is a good plan. Here's why:

1) There is no better option on the free agent market.

2) Trading for a late career vet, like Rivers, is probably too costly for a team that desperately needs draft picks

3) "Tanking" by bringing in a guy like Hoyer doesn't get the Bills any closer to a franchise QB

3a) As I don't know of any Andrew Luck, John Elway, Peyton Manning prospects that will be in the 2018 draft

4) Teams can find their long-term QB while still trying to win by using picks every year to try and identify the guy. Dak is a good example, so is Russell Wilson. It's not easy, but it can happen.

Disclaimer: If 3a is not true, then tank away.

I'd like to see Tyrod with a new reasonable, contract for next year operating with 3 good receivers in a west coast offense with a new OC that knows how to run it.

Bring in as many qb's as you want, drafting or otherwise. If they look better in camp than Tyrod, hand them the keys.

You have to admit that Roman and Lynn arent exactly a qb's dream at OC, and we havent had the best group of wr's available these past few years.

I wonder if those of you advocating for Glennon and Foles have ever watched them play. It's not a pretty sight.

:lol::lol:

It would be excellent for the Bills' draft if Watson and Trubisky are both taken before #10.

This.

They could use those 1st two picks to strengthen the DB and WR rosters

How to Prolong a World-Leading Playoff Drought Streak by Doug Whaley

:lol::lol:

It scares me because it seems something stupid they would do.

Edited by Marty McFly

The simple fact is that given the long Bills playoff drought and the Pegula's having to strike the balance between investing well for the long-term and the powerful NFL and human desire to win NOW, there simply is gonna be a huge premium on what alternatives at starting QB gives the Bills the best chance (Or even much of a chance) at making the playoffs next year?

Given the simple shortage of credible QB talent in the NFL, even if a 2017 team led by Tyrod is unlikely to make the playoffs, I see no more likely alternativeto him. For example, even if you think Tyrod is unlikely to lead the 2017 Bills to the playoffs next yea, even a bad chance is a better chance than any rookie QB available at the Bills pick (or worth the risk to give away the store to trade up.

Is Tyrod worth $30 mill?

Unlikely but more likely than any real alternative.

If you disagree then make the case. We fans are all ears!.

The simple fact is that given the long Bills playoff drought and the Pegula's having to strike the balance between investing well for the long-term and the powerful NFL and human desire to win NOW, there simply is gonna be a huge premium on what alternatives at starting QB gives the Bills the best chance (Or even much of a chance) at making the playoffs next year?

Given the simple shortage of credible QB talent in the NFL, even if a 2017 team led by Tyrod is unlikely to make the playoffs, I see no more likely alternativeto him. For example, even if you think Tyrod is unlikely to lead the 2017 Bills to the playoffs next yea, even a bad chance is a better chance than any rookie QB available at the Bills pick (or worth the risk to give away the store to trade up.

Is Tyrod worth $30 mill?

Unlikely but more likely than any real alternative.

If you disagree then make the case. We fans are all ears!.

2017 Bills Schedule
Away - New York Jets, New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals
Home - Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans

For those who want to pick up the option, take a look at this 2017 schedule and tell me a realistic number of wins for the Bills with Tyrod Taylor starting. IMO, the win total is 6 wins, 7 wins tops.

Jets, Dolphins, Chargers, Panthers, Broncos, Saints, Titans are the 7 games that are potentially realistic wins (this is expecting splitting wins with the Jets and Dolphins). I think this is a very fair projection.

So the question is, if Taylor QBs the Bills to 7 wins, is the front office (or Bills fans) going to stomach him being the 2018 starter? Odds are probably not. So now you're on the hook in 2018 for 18 million in cap money of which could have gone to stacking the offensive line and bolstering the roster in free agency to help out a third year QB like Jones or a newly drafted QB.

I know that fans want to believe in Taylor, but if fans are being truly realistic, there is just no way you can pick up the option because the odds are Taylor won't be the starter in 2018 and you'll need that money to help out the team in other areas.

2017 Bills Schedule
Away - New York Jets, New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals
Home - Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans

For those who want to pick up the option, take a look at this 2017 schedule and tell me a realistic number of wins for the Bills with Tyrod Taylor starting. IMO, the win total is 6 wins, 7 wins tops.

Jets, Dolphins, Chargers, Panthers, Broncos, Saints, Titans are the 7 games that are potentially realistic wins (this is expecting splitting wins with the Jets and Dolphins). I think this is a very fair projection.

So the question is, if Taylor QBs the Bills to 7 wins, is the front office (or Bills fans) going to stomach him being the 2018 starter? Odds are probably not. So now you're on the hook in 2018 for 18 million in cap money of which could have gone to stacking the offensive line and bolstering the roster in free agency to help out a third year QB like Jones or a newly drafted QB.

I know that fans want to believe in Taylor, but if fans are being truly realistic, there is just no way you can pick up the option because the odds are Taylor won't be the starter in 2018 and you'll need that money to help out the team in other areas.

#1BillsFan running up the white flag in January.... The games will be played starting in September not last month. Many things can happen to both our team and those on this list before then.

2017 Bills Schedule

This. Why pay the man to go 6-10.

Break in a rookie.

2017 Bills Schedule

I see 16 wins baby!!!