"I'm Not a Democrat Anymore"

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sigh

i didnt say that

i realize im new to this forum but ive been through this so many times over the years that im tired of repeating myself. its like shoveling ѕhit against the tide

but i will do so for this point

wisdom indeed does and always will reside in the center. that doesnt mean you put a finger in the wind and choose the middle position. it means you examine both sides, see what merits their argument has, what biases they may hold, and try to see if there is an amalgamation of the two that makes sense. one side certainly can be right at any particular time as the ebb and flow of ideas and standards evolves over time. but usually the wisest perspective is going to incorporate elements of both polar opposites

Unless you are talking specifically about political expediency then this is incorrect. Quite often there is an objective right and an objective wrong. There is an objective moral and immoral.

An argument for the center is an argument for incrementalism towards the immoral and the wrong.

Or, if I am misunderstanding you, which I leave open as a possibility, perhaps you could give me a few examples of this "Center or Wisdom" as relates to the major issues of our time.

If there were more women protesting on Saturday than persons who attended the inauguration on Friday, is Donald Trump still President?

People who were protesting are usually considered part of the number that attended, so basically Trump has the largest crowd in inauguration history.

The MSM are using "crowd scientists" to estimate the size of protestors vs supporters. No one knows how many of each. Too bad they couldn't all wear vagina/maga hats so we can tell the difference.

Move far enough left and there is chaos... How much more free can one be?

You know my politics... I am far left. Yet, live conservatively.

and this is what is wrong with uhmerika

every census, every redistricting of voting lines destroys us. it gives folks like you a bigger voice.

but i'd never, ever expect you to understand this so i won't go on... you're a waste of my time

philosophy and metaphysics are two huge examples of wisdom always residing the center. the entire advanced concept of ying and yang is 100% about finding the wisdom in the center

and i cant believe you tried to make a point that centrism in politics is somehow 'immoral and wrong'. holy hell

philosophy and metaphysics are two huge examples of wisdom always residing the center. the entire advanced concept of ying and yang is 100% about finding the wisdom in the center

and i cant believe you tried to make a point that centrism in politics is somehow 'immoral and wrong'. holy hell

The idea that the moderate position us inherently "correct" is inane and ridiculous.

1 guy argues murder should be illegal. Another argues that it should be legal. The compromise of manslaughter being legal is not correct.

you need to study politics more.

I'm as politically agnostic as it comes around these parts, but this is a false comparison. Middle ground is not always the right way. Most of the times the middle ground is the ground littered with the most deception and false equivalences.

Balance does not mean being a centrist.

I asked you for examples, in our current political divide, of where the middle is a place of virtue.

Please provide them.

I'll allowing you the platform to prove your stance.

I suggest that you use it.

It is because they are selfish. Scared. Insecure. Who wants to get hit both ways (Thatcher quote)? Nobody really does! Kind of a dumb quote if you ask me. The quote panders to a conservative's overly, well let's just say, conservative and practical side. Most people like structure.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having your head in the clouds while having a foot or two firmly on the ground. Yeah, that's easy joke fodder!

I live my life conservatively, yet, I am a very vocal proponent of liberal causes.

I asked you for examples, in our current political divide, of where the middle is a place of virtue.

Please provide them.

I'll allowing you the platform to prove your stance.

I suggest that you use it.

Immigration, for example. The crazies that want to build a wall and have people rounded up and deported vs the people for open boarders. There is a middle trough there

Immigration, for example. The crazies that want to build a wall and have people rounded up and deported vs the people for open boarders. There is a middle trough there

For clarity: (not a response to this specific statement)

The middle ground SOMETIMES is the best route, but making the declaration that it's the only route is how you get separate but equal.

you're not worth an honest effort but you must remember the deportation of the "crazies" is only the illegal immigrants and does not mean they're rounded up as the democrats wanted the blacks or japs in wwii...

so only criminals should be deported

Explain. Expand. Interesting.

Segregation, for all practice purposes, represented the middle ground between slavery and abolitionism.

Not many people would say segregation was fair (or equal) -- yet it was the middle ground in between the two extremes.

I doubt very much meathead would agree that segregation is the better choice because it lies in the center of two positions, yet he's essentially making that argument.

Just trying to give a concrete example of how middle ground views can be deeply flawed compared to the other alternatives.

Except that we have laws that govern immigration activity. The law does not provide for people to enter the country or stay in the county without coming in correctly through the immigration process. Presidents and members of the house and senate swear to uphold the law so the only position that members of either party can have is to prevent improper entry and deport those that do. If a wall or surveillance system or greater personnel are required to achieve this then so be it.

The middle ground compromise position is what we already have IMO which is to allow people in reasonable numbers that qualify and work through the process. That's middle ground between nobody in and everybody in.

This is a hollow statement which assumes that neither side of an argument can be correct, and that doing counterproductive or immoral things in moderation is a path to prosperity.

Wisdom exists in the center because the extremes are driven by polemic.

[This is an automated response.]

I'm not stupid.

Yes, yes you are.

Created by DC Tom-bot, beta version 0.5.