2018 QB Draft Class

CanadianFan

I keep hearing that 2018 draft is going to be one of the best QB drafts in a long time. I heard Phil Simms say how college ranks have terrific prospects coming into the league because unlike his generation these kids grew up with QB coaches since they were 5 and had been coached well on all the fundamentals and how excited he is for the league. And I gotta think it has to be this:

http://www.deepishthoughts.com/potentially-stacked-2018-qb-class/

there's a bit more discussion on this here:

http://beargoggleson.com/2017/01/19/bears-must-wait-year-draft-quarterback/

And I'm liking how Darnold looked in that Rosebowl comeback when I thought for sure Penn State's wrapped it up. In the biggest of stages, he rose to the occasion. And even more impressive for a freshman to do that. Watson of course equaled him a few days later in national championship. Both are dual-threat QBs.

Like how Bears' fanside is saying, would it be better for Bills to pick a QB this coming year, or go for the 2018 draft class? Who would you pick? Darnold or Watson?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost every single year "next year's" class is going to be better.

Not really with people following closely though. Luck and RG3 had super high draft grades in 2012, the 2013 draft was an awful QB draft. Everyone knew that going in. The same goes for 2004. If you are watching the draft grades of the prospects it will be evident. This year the top QBs are in the mid teens on most big boards. Next year they will be at the top with multiple guys in the top 10.

Each draft has different strengths and weaknesses. This is a good DB draft and a bad OL draft for example. That doesn't mean that there won't be good players there but as an example the 8th DB may be as good as the 2nd OT. It works the same way with QBs.

I don't like the idea of a tank, to end up at #1 next year, bexcuse our roster is top veteran to do that approach... but I would be VERY interested in moving back in the 1st round this year, just enough to aquire a 1st round pick next year (maybe to #23ish?) and then using our 2 first round picks next year on moving up from our 6-12 range we will likely be picking in, to get our guy.

I don't like the idea of a tank, to end up at #1 next year, bexcuse our roster is top veteran to do that approach... but I would be VERY interested in moving back in the 1st round this year, just enough to aquire a 1st round pick next year (maybe to #23ish?) and then using our 2 first round picks next year on moving up from our 6-12 range we will likely be picking in, to get our guy.

I could get behind this. A 2nd 1st in 2018 would be awesome. Maybe Houston would do this? 25 this year and their first next year. We can draft Peppers or a corner maybe even an offensive weapon like Howard and go guns blazing after one of those guys in 2018. Edited by Kirby Jackson

If you want a pure pocket passer - Luke Falk is your guy.

I think Bills will have a high pick in 2018, likely higher than this year's. IF the other guys are gone (Darnold, Rosen, Jackson), I wouldn't mind having him as Bills pick. I like two way threats as it gives an offense most options. But last I looked pocket passers are still doing great things in this league. That's why this draft class is rich in QBs.

lol not even in Dak's stratosphere.

Dak Senior Year:

3793 yds

8.0 yds/att

29 TD

5 Int

QB rating 151

588 yds rush

10 rush TD

Evans Junior Year:

3552 yd

8.4 yd/att

29 TD

8 int

QB rating 153

846 rush yds

12 rush TD

Same sphere, dude. And the good news is uniformed folks like you - and ones who might be correc about him leaving too early - will allow him to fall into the third or fourth - just like Dak did.

Edited by moshermw

There look like some excellent prospects in 2018 no doubt. But to be honest I haven't watched a lot of any of them yet. Still focused on this year's draft. I saw Darnold twice in season and thought he looked very good. Saw Rosen once was less impressed and Lamar Jackson is exciting but I need to see more to be sure about him as a pro. The Michigan kid has some more way to go. I had started a bit on Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk and think they both made the right decision to stay in school and could be 1st round contenders by next year.

I am but one man... I don't have the resources to start on 2018 before 2017 is done but the Bills should be planning and strategising with that they already know about next year.

Not really with people following closely though. Luck and RG3 had super high draft grades in 2012, the 2013 draft was an awful QB draft. Everyone knew that going in. The same goes for 2004. If you are watching the draft grades of the prospects it will be evident. This year the top QBs are in the mid teens on most big boards. Next year they will be at the top with multiple guys in the top 10.

Each draft has different strengths and weaknesses. This is a good DB draft and a bad OL draft for example. That doesn't mean that there won't be good players there but as an example the 8th DB may be as good as the 2nd OT. It works the same way with QBs.

Well said, I agree with next years class looking good at this point with next years crop showing a better skill set than this years already on the field. I do think this years QB class is getting pushed up (possibly with the idea of people reaching so positional talent will fall, which is what I believe, the lying season is well under way!) and the teens is even high for this class.

To me......it's not an either or question.

If you like a QB in 2017 you take one and IMO it's only wrong if you aren't willing to do it again in 2018.

And if that QB-centric approach means keeping FOUR......and even FIVE QB's on the 53 man roster at some point in the future.....I do so.

The position is just too important to be missing opportunities at by far the most critical one.

And yes I know it would be harder to get them practice reps but you work to create an environment where they are getting good training and then you can max competition and let the cream rise to the top.

I think people discount the negative effect of QB's feeling like positions are theirs to LOSE.......and when you keep only 3 of them you are basically saying that they have a paying job if they DON'T SCREW UP.

By contrast.......competition gets a young player out of his own head and doing what they are hardwired to do......compete for position.

I know this much.......I'd have agents trying to get their players on my practice squad because with only 48-49 non-QB's rather than 49-50 the chances of them being elevated to the active roster and earning more money in season would be good.

Almost every single year "next year's" class is going to be better.

Yep. You can't rely on the "next year" excuse. Leading up to the college season last summer I distinctly remember many posters on here declaring Kizer and Watson were future top 5 picks, then the season was played. Heck, there was one point Cardale was a top 10 pick. We just don't know how next year's season will shake out.