Evans Junior Year:

3552 yd

8.4 yd/att

29 TD

8 int

QB rating 153

846 rush yds

12 rush TD

Same sphere, dude. And the good news is uniformed folks like you - and ones who might be correc about him leaving too early - will allow him to fall into the third or fourth - just like Dak did.

Dak carried a lowly program on his shoulders in the SEC for four years.

Evans played in an extremely QB-friendly system in 2016. I watched Evans in person at the Carrier Dome and the same Syracuse defense that allowed 76 points to Pittsburgh shut Evans and VT down holding them to under 20 points for the win.

And take it easy with the pompous attitude.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really with people following closely though. Luck and RG3 had super high draft grades in 2012, the 2013 draft was an awful QB draft. Everyone knew that going in. The same goes for 2004. If you are watching the draft grades of the prospects it will be evident. This year the top QBs are in the mid teens on most big boards. Next year they will be at the top with multiple guys in the top 10.

Each draft has different strengths and weaknesses. This is a good DB draft and a bad OL draft for example. That doesn't mean that there won't be good players there but as an example the 8th DB may be as good as the 2nd OT. It works the same way with QBs.

No, every year it is Next class is better, regardless of pro scout or amateur guy.

I Guarantee the weeks leading up to the draft in 2018 we will hear about the 2019 class and how the prospects are better.

Yep. You can't rely on the "next year" excuse. Leading up to the college season last summer I distinctly remember many posters on here declaring Kizer and Watson were future top 5 picks, then the season was played. Heck, there was one point Cardale was a top 10 pick. We just don't know how next year's season will shake out.

There have also been players like Matt Barkley, Leinart who were considered possible 1st round picks after their junior years but stayed in school and dropped

Luck was a once in a generational prospect. RG3 wasn't even on the radar the year before he blew up. Remember when Conner Cook was going to be #1 overall? Or Teddy Bridgewater? While Darnold had a great year, he is not the prospect that Luck was, at this point at least, and could easily fall off before he comes out.

Add Matt Barkley, hell Watson would have been the first QB taken in this past draft. "Next years class is going to be awesome" is said almost every year.

Yep. People talk now like a year out everyone was down on the 2013 draft. The truth is a year out people (draft nicks etc) had Barkley and Geno as slam dunk top 5 picks. By the time it got close people saw it as the very weak QB class it was but a year out there was some excitement.

No, every year it is Next class is better, regardless of pro scout or amateur guy.

I Guarantee the weeks leading up to the draft in 2018 we will hear about the 2019 class and how the prospects are better.

We disagree then. No one thought in 2012 that the 2013 QB draft would be better. The prospects determine how good or bad a draft will be. There are some higher rated prospects and more depth in next year's class.

I gave you an example as this is a strong DB draft and a weak OL draft. Each draft has different strengths and weaknesses. We may very well have 2 safeties off he board when we pick at 10. That's very rare but speaks to the type of players at that position. Mel Kiper has 21 defensive players getting drafted in round 1. It's very possible that half of the first round picks are pass rushers or DBs.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

We disagree then. No one thought in 2012 that the 2013 QB draft would be better. The prospects determine how good or bad a draft will be. There are some higher rated prospects and more depth in next year's class.

I gave you an example as this is a strong DB draft and a weak OL draft. Each draft has different strengths and weaknesses. We may very well have 2 safeties off he board when we pick at 10. That's very are but speaks to the type of players at that position. Mel Kiper has 21 defensive players getting drafted in round 1. It's very possible that half of the first round picks are pass rushers or DBs.

what do DB's and OL have to do with pre-buyers remorse on QB's?

what do DB's and OL have to do with pre-buyers remorse on QB's?

Most draft experts would agree that this isn't a good QB draft. That doesn't mean that good QBs won't come out of it. Most would also agree that next year's class looks like a strong QB class. That doesn't mean that everyone there will be good. The point is that you are more likely to find the franchise guy in a strong QB draft than a weak one. If 2 of the guys in this years class end up as long-term starters maybe 3 or 4 will from 2018. You still have to find the right guy and have the assets to get them but it is a percentage thing.

Different drafts have different strengths and weaknesses. It isn't just with QBs. This year the 8th best DB might be the 2nd best in a different draft. That is value. The 2nd best OT might be 5th or 6th in another draft. He will get pushed up the board because of it while the DBs get pushed down. QBs get pushed up the board because of their importance. If this draft only has 1 QB as one of its top 20 talents that doesn't mean that he will go 20. The 2018 draft may have 4 of the top 20 players as QBs. I know that it is early but here is a look at a 2018 mockhttp://www.fueledbysports.com/2018-nfl-mock-draft/

Most draft experts would agree that this isn't a good QB draft. That doesn't mean that good QBs won't come out of it. Most would also agree that next year's class looks like a strong QB class. That doesn't mean that everyone there will be good. The point is that you are more likely to find the franchise guy in a strong QB draft than a weak one. If 2 of the guys in this years class end up as long-term starters maybe 3 or 4 will from 2018. You still have to find the right guy and have the assets to get them but it is a percentage thing.

Different drafts have different strengths and weaknesses. It isn't just with QBs. This year the 8th best DB might be the 2nd best in a different draft. That is value. The 2nd best OT might be 5th or 6th in another draft. He will get pushed up the board because of it while the DBs get pushed down. QBs get pushed up the board because of their importance. If this draft only has 1 QB as one of its top 20 talents that doesn't mean that he will go 20. The 2018 draft may have 4 of the top 20 players as QBs. I know that it is early but here is a look at a 2018 mockhttp://www.fueledbysports.com/2018-nfl-mock-draft/

I get what you are saying, but again, I ask you, what does all of this have to do with the instant pre-buyers remorse that is the QB position?

Every year the Bills go into the off-season they need a QB. The solution is to find a stopgap and draft the guy next year. You may not see it, but if i had the time i could go back and bring up multiple threads per year that show every year the best time to find a QB is next year.

I get what you are saying, but again, I ask you, what does all of this have to do with the instant pre-buyers remorse that is the QB position?

Every year the Bills go into the off-season they need a QB. The solution is to find a stopgap and draft the guy next year. You may not see it, but if i had the time i could go back and bring up multiple threads per year that show every year the best time to find a QB is next year.

It has nothing to do with pre-buyers remorse to me. It has to do with increasing your odds of finding a franchise QB. I've said I think that the Bills should trade down or out of the 1st altogether this year to acquire a 2018 1st if they want to move on at QB. 2 1st round picks and a good QB draft is a better plan in my opinion than taking the 3rd guy in this draft (who might have be 5th or 6th next year).

It has nothing to do with pre-buyers remorse to me. It has to do with increasing your odds of finding a franchise QB. I've said I think that the Bills should trade down or out of the 1st altogether this year to acquire a 2018 1st if they want to move on at QB. 2 1st round picks and a good QB draft is a better plan in my opinion than taking the 3rd guy in this draft (who might have be 5th or 6th next year).

I don't disagree but I think the Bills should avoid groupthink. If there is a guy they like this year they should take him. What they shouldn't do is talk themselves into a guy this year just so they can say hey we took a Quarterback.

Dak carried a lowly program on his shoulders in the SEC for four years.

Evans played in an extremely QB-friendly system in 2016. I watched Evans in person at the Carrier Dome and the same Syracuse defense that allowed 76 points to Pittsburgh shut Evans and VT down holding them to under 20 points for the win.

And take it easy with the pompous attitude.

Sorry, dude. bout the 'tude.

That SU game was an aberration - Evans was never that bad and the SU D was never that good the rest of the season.

So the stats listed for JE were on his first year with a new coach and a new staff for everyone involved. VT barely had kept its bowl streak alive at 6-6 or 7-5 for the last 3 seasons of Beamer's reign so was almost as lowly - especially on O - as Miss St.

The stats for Dak was after 4 years under the same staff.

Whole debate started about Evans being in the same Stratosphere or not. It's silly to claim he is without NFL data. That said, apples to apples in their last year of college, and being a relative unknown compared to Watson, Trubisky, etc. Evans could be drafted in later rounds and actually be as good as Dak - and if he's not, maybe close, and if horrible (doubtful with that stat line) even then you only lose a 4th rd pick.

Someone to watch as we go through the Combine process at a minimum.

The safest bet would be to trade your first AND second round picks......and get back a couple first rounders and maybe an extra pick or two next year.

Then not totally tank........finishing around where they did this year....8th-10th overall pick........and publicly talking up Cardale as the franchise QB.

Then surprise the unsuspecting underclassmen QB prospect by trading up to get him months after he'd already declared thinking that Buffalo wasn't in play. :thumbsup:

Yep. You can't rely on the "next year" excuse. Leading up to the college season last summer I distinctly remember many posters on here declaring Kizer and Watson were future top 5 picks, then the season was played. Heck, there was one point Cardale was a top 10 pick. We just don't know how next year's season will shake out.

I mean this really applies to all players and positions. How many times do the "experts" correctly pick the teams that will be successful. Before the 2015 season I remember everyone picking the Colts to be amazing and we were so excited we beat Luck... then everyone beat the Colts. This year everyone was talking about how awesome Carolina would be... missed the playoffs. The one thing I find encouraging about McDermott is that we have a guy who seems like a patient, no-nonsense teacher who has historically gotten the most out of the players he coaches

Kirby, I wouldn't want to trade this year's pick to acquire more picks for next year because there is so much talent possibly coming out next year. With the possibility of Darnold, Falk, Rosen, Jackson, Rudolph coming out next year I would want to get as much help for him as possible. With the Bills having a top 10 pick and the possibility of getting another "game changing" WR to pair with Sammy Watkins, you can't pass up this opportunity. One of those QBs will fall to the Bills in next year's draft, I don't see another Corey Davis/ Mike Williams(preferably Davis) in that class. Now if both of those players are gone by the time the Bills pick, then all bets are off!!