2018 QB Draft Class

CanadianFan

Not really with people following closely though. Luck and RG3 had super high draft grades in 2012, the 2013 draft was an awful QB draft. Everyone knew that going in. The same goes for 2004. If you are watching the draft grades of the prospects it will be evident. This year the top QBs are in the mid teens on most big boards. Next year they will be at the top with multiple guys in the top 10.

Each draft has different strengths and weaknesses. This is a good DB draft and a bad OL draft for example. That doesn't mean that there won't be good players there but as an example the 8th DB may be as good as the 2nd OT. It works the same way with QBs.

Luck was a once in a generational prospect. RG3 wasn't even on the radar the year before he blew up. Remember when Conner Cook was going to be #1 overall? Or Teddy Bridgewater? While Darnold had a great year, he is not the prospect that Luck was, at this point at least, and could easily fall off before he comes out.

Edited by Mark80

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck was a once in a generational prospect. RG3 wasn't even on the radar the year before he blew up. Remember when Conner Cook was going to be #1 overall? Or Teddy Bridgewater? While Darnold had a great year, he is not the prospect that Luck was, at this point at least, and could easily fall off before he comes out.

His draft grade was behind only Elway and Luck. It doesn't always work out but he wasn't a reach.

Dak Senior Year:

3793 yds

8.0 yds/att

29 TD

5 Int

QB rating 151

588 yds rush

10 rush TD

Evans Junior Year:

3552 yd

8.4 yd/att

29 TD

8 int

QB rating 153

846 rush yds

12 rush TD

Same sphere, dude. And the good news is uniformed folks like you - and ones who might be correc about him leaving too early - will allow him to fall into the third or fourth - just like Dak did.

I watched a ton of Evans this year. He's not nearly as good of a passer and not as athletic as Prescott imo. Put up some great numbers this year though. Another year would've really helped him

Hope you're right. I hope he falls down the draft ready for us to catch him xD

Almost every single year "next year's" class is going to be better.

If you listen to the draft pundits (who never come back and say "whoops!") perhaps.

If you look at the # QB drafted and especially the # drafted in the 1st round, it's pretty clear that the teams differentiate. 2012 was a fantastic QB year with 4 QB drafted in the 1st and 6/8 QB drafted starting or have started.

2013 was a dud year with 1 drafted in the 1st round, 2014 was a good year with 3 QB drafted in the 1st round, etcetc.

Geno Smith was seen as the #1 overall pick basically until the Chiefs traded for Alex Smith. But they were never going to pick him. Teams never saw him the way the draft talking heads and the media did.

I keep hearing that 2018 draft is going to be one of the best QB drafts in a long time. I heard Phil Simms say how college ranks have terrific prospects coming into the league because unlike his generation these kids grew up with QB coaches since they were 5 and had been coached well on all the fundamentals and how excited he is for the league. And I gotta think it has to be this:

http://www.deepishthoughts.com/potentially-stacked-2018-qb-class/

there's a bit more discussion on this here:

http://beargoggleson.com/2017/01/19/bears-must-wait-year-draft-quarterback/

And I'm liking how Darnold looked in that Rosebowl comeback when I thought for sure Penn State's wrapped it up. In the biggest of stages, he rose to the occasion. And even more impressive for a freshman to do that. Watson of course equaled him a few days later in national championship. Both are dual-threat QBs.

Like how Bears' fanside is saying, would it be better for Bills to pick a QB this coming year, or go for the 2018 draft class? Who would you pick? Darnold or Watson?

Darnold all the way!!

Trubisky > 18/19/20 and 22

:lol::lol::doh::doh:

There look like some excellent prospects in 2018 no doubt. But to be honest I haven't watched a lot of any of them yet. Still focused on this year's draft. I saw Darnold twice in season and thought he looked very good. Saw Rosen once was less impressed and Lamar Jackson is exciting but I need to see more to be sure about him as a pro. The Michigan kid has some more way to go. I had started a bit on Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk and think they both made the right decision to stay in school and could be 1st round contenders by next year.

I am but one man... I don't have the resources to start on 2018 before 2017 is done but the Bills should be planning and strategising with that they already know about next year.

when watching games this yr it was clear to see who the kids for 2018 would be; also on the list should be Wyoming's Josh Allen who has all the talent in the world and freakish arm. Hopefully he gets better at pocket awareness and decision making.

How many first round picks would you give up for Darnold? The first one is the only one you really know how high it is.

really hard to say at this point as we have to see how he plays and what draft position we get.

That said lets say we get fourth overall, due to new coaching and players and somehow we never get top pick, I would give 2 firsts and second and more if necessary. However there could be a franchise QB at this pick like Josh Allen, Josh Rosen and Mason Rudolph ; we may not have to trade up.

Agree with this 100%. His Syracuse game was not impressive given the competition.

Was definitely crazy bad by both D and O. SU had a tremendous game plan so give them every bit of credit they deserve. Game is a complete outlier, however. For both teams. SU never repeated that performance.

Evans was $ every other game save for GT.

Never said he's a guaranteed Dak. If so, I would have pushed for first round as would all of us. I'm just saying that he's got the potential to be a Dak and because of the SU and GT performances, only one season, should do another year, etc.. he will be available in lower rounds. If he turns out to be a bust, only lost a 4th, but - if he is the next Dak, which by all accounts he very well could be, well you see where I'm going.

I'm at the front of the line as a TT supporter, but am realistic enough to know we need to keep drafting QB's in hopes of landing a Russell Wilson or Dak. Jim Kellys and Aaron Rodgers' aren't in every draft. Especially this one. Don't waste a first on Trubisky (only played 10 games) or DeShaun (he's basically a slower TT).

Was definitely crazy bad by both D and O. SU had a tremendous game plan so give them every bit of credit they deserve. Game is a complete outlier, however. For both teams. SU never repeated that performance.

Evans was $ every other game save for GT.

Never said he's a guaranteed Dak. If so, I would have pushed for first round as would all of us. I'm just saying that he's got the potential to be a Dak and because of the SU and GT performances, only one season, should do another year, etc.. he will be available in lower rounds. If he turns out to be a bust, only lost a 4th, but - if he is the next Dak, which by all accounts he very well could be, well you see where I'm going.

I'm at the front of the line as a TT supporter, but am realistic enough to know we need to keep drafting QB's in hopes of landing a Russell Wilson or Dak. Jim Kellys and Aaron Rodgers' aren't in every draft. Especially this one. Don't waste a first on Trubisky (only played 10 games) or DeShaun (he's basically a slower TT).

I basically agree with this. I would like to see how these 2 QBs fare during the process leading up to the draft though.

Almost every single year "next year's" class is going to be better.

seems to be true on the years Buffalo picks a qb

2004 Bills trade w/Dallas to pick J.P. Losman...with the 2005 1st Bills traded away to move up they could have drafted Aaron Rodgers

2007 Bills grab Trent Edwards in the 3rd...2008 Bills could have grabbed Joe Flacco..he's not a top 5 Qb but he did take his team to multiple playoff season with 1 super bowl victory...Matt ryan was also drafted this year

2010 Bills draft Lavi Brown in the 7th round....2011 Andy Dalton was there for Bills pick

2013 Bills draft E.j. Manuel in the 1st...2014 Derick Carr, Jimmy Garopolo, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater

2016 Bills draft Cardale Jones in the 4th round....who knows??

2004 is when Bills realy hurt themselves...Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger all get picked in the top 11 then at 13 Bills grab Lee Evans and then get scared and Bills traded 2004 2nd round pick (43rd overall), 2004 5th round pick (144th overall) and 2005 1st round pick (20th overall) to Dallas for 2004 1st round pick (22nd overall) to grab losman...they needed that 2005 1st for Aaron Rodgers

Edited by Tsaikotic

seems to be true on the years Buffalo picks a qb

2004 Bills trade w/Dallas to pick J.P. Losman...with the 2005 1st Bills traded away to move up they could have drafted Aaron Rodgers

2007 Bills grab Trent Edwards in the 3rd...2008 Bills could have grabbed Joe Flacco..he's not a top 5 Qb but he did take his team to multiple playoff season with 1 super bowl victory...Matt ryan was also drafted this year

2010 Bills draft Lavi Brown in the 7th round....2011 Andy Dalton was there for Bills pick

2013 Bills draft E.j. Manuel in the 1st...2014 Derick Carr, Jimmy Garopolo, Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater

2016 Bills draft Cardale Jones in the 4th round....who knows??

2004 is when Bills realy hurt themselves...Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger all get picked in the top 11 then at 13 Bills grab Lee Evans and then get scared and Bills traded 2004 2nd round pick (43rd overall), 2004 5th round pick (144th overall) and 2005 1st round pick (20th overall) to Dallas for 2004 1st round pick (22nd overall) to grab losman...they needed that 2005 1st for Aaron Rodgers

Man that's a good history lesson. Particularly the 2013. I remember that draft being not particularly deep on QBs. Yet Bills still reached for a QB bec. the outgoing GM wanted to leave the Bills with a franchise QB. And we passed on the 2014 because we had a 1st round invested in EJ. That's why I'm hoping Bills will be strategic, aim for a QB in 2018 and make do with a bridge QB this year.

Unicorns aren't made every year. Best to wait rather than hope one of your guys turn into one.

Edited by CanadianFan

Man that's a good history lesson. Particularly the 2013. I remember that draft being not particularly deep on QBs. Yet Bills still reached for a QB bec. the outgoing GM wanted to leave the Bills with a franchise QB. And we passed on the 2014 because we had a 1st round invested in EJ. That's why I'm hoping Bills will be strategic, aim for a QB in 2018 and make do with a bridge QB this year.

Unicorns aren't made every year. Best to wait rather than hope one of your guys turn into one.

The Doug Whaley propaganda machine is working overtime.

I don't like the idea of a tank, to end up at #1 next year, bexcuse our roster is top veteran to do that approach... but I would be VERY interested in moving back in the 1st round this year, just enough to aquire a 1st round pick next year (maybe to #23ish?) and then using our 2 first round picks next year on moving up from our 6-12 range we will likely be picking in, to get our guy.

As a fan, I don't like the idea of tanking either. Almost seems unethical. However, it does have merit. The colts did it to pick Luck and NBA teams do it often. The idea of tanking a year to land a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years seems to be a great trade off. However, no sure thing a college QB will turn into a franchise QB.