Your 2017 QB will be.... Jay Cutler.

FireChan

Brees had one good season out of five with the Chargers. Maybe one and a half.

Misleading.

He didn't play as a rookie.

In his second year he actually had a decent season by young QB standards in those days........17 TD's 16 INT's. It wasn't the era where a QB could throw 28 TD's and 2 pics in a season. :flirt:

He actually had just one poor year.......2003.....which coincided with one of the two greatest QB classes of all time coming into the league.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misleading.

In his second year he actually had a decent season by young QB standards in those days........17 TD's 16 INT's. It wasn't the era where a QB could throw 28 TD's and 2 pics in a season. :flirt:

He actually had just one poor year.......2003.....which coincided with one of the two greatest QB classes of all time coming into the league.

plus he was objectively good in '05 (albeit not as productive as he was in '04).

Misleading.

I watched a lot of those games. As a rookie he got beat out by an absolutely washed up and terrible Flutie. He was not a good quarterback at all his second year. They didnt have to draft Rivers, look what they did to get Brees, trade the pick get LT and then choose a QB at 32. ;)

The Dolphins chose Culpepper because they were still worried about Brees shoulder. According to Saban, years later, Saban said he wanted him but the Fins medical staff overruled him. That always sounded fishy to me.

I watched a lot of those games. As a rookie he got beat out by an absolutely washed up and terrible Flutie. He was not a good quarterback at all his second year. They didnt have to draft Rivers, look what they did to get Brees, trade the pick get LT and then choose a QB at 32. ;)

The Dolphins chose Culpepper because they were still worried about Brees shoulder. According to Saban, years later, Saban said he wanted him but the Fins medical staff overruled him. That always sounded fishy to me.

He was good in 05.

It's possible Dennison wanted TT, but after seeing the results and the salary, has cooled.

Everyone gets all crazy about "the salary". If the Bills pick up the option he would fall into the lower third of starting QB's salaries, yet he ran an offense that ranked 7th in the league. Yes Shady played a big part in the O but TT did as well. The threat of him running complemented the run game. Pay the man!

That was a time in the NFL when it was very hard to be a good QB early in your career and just as importantly that was a really bad team.

When Roethlisberger had a "big" season as a rookie in 2004 it was stunning because first year QB's just didn't play efficient football.

Eli Manning first hit 60% completion percentage in his FIFTH season.........people argue that Tyrod sucks now and he's been about 63% in his two years in Buffalo. :lol:

I shouldn't have to explain the futility in trying to compare stats and career starts from then and today but whatever. :lol:

Bottom line is that Brees was not heavily invested in and they were subsequently very willing to take another shot when they had the top pick in the draft.

If the Bills had used their first pick in every draft since 2000 on a QB they'd be no worse off today........in fact they'd probably have had some great QB's like Brees and Rodgers and seen a whole bunch of very good ones.

The Bills like to roll the dice once in every great while at QB and that is fine.......if you are both good at evaluating QB's and fortunate.

They aren't so they should be taking more shots.

Wouldn't affect the roster much.

Always and forever. BB is nothing without Brady. Buffalo would've ruined all the great QB's if they drafted them.

My biggest pet peeve here.

I don't know how people conclude this. BB won 11 games with Vinny Testaverde in Cleveland and 11 games with Matt Cassel in NE. He shut down two of the best offenses of all time in Super Bowls, leaving little dispute he's the greatest defensive coach in recent (or all time) history. It's Brady that has greatly benefited from the relationship.

I don't know how people conclude this. BB won 11 games with Vinny Testaverde in Cleveland and 11 games with Matt Cassel in NE. He shut down two of the best offenses of all time in Super Bowls, leaving little dispute he's the greatest defensive coach in recent (or all time) history. It's Brady that has greatly benefited from the relationship.

Rex Ryan got to the AFC championship with Sanchez as his QB... **** happens.

That was a time in the NFL when it was very hard to be a good QB early in your career and just as importantly that was a really bad team.

When Roethlisberger had a "big" season as a rookie in 2004 it was stunning because first year QB's just didn't play efficient football.

Eli Manning first hit 60% completion percentage in his FIFTH season.........people argue that Tyrod sucks now and he's been about 63% in his two years in Buffalo. :lol:

I shouldn't have to explain the futility in trying to compare stats and career starts from then and today but whatever. :lol:

Bottom line is that Brees was not heavily invested in and they were subsequently very willing to take another shot when they had the top pick in the draft.

If the Bills had used their first pick in every draft since 2000 on a QB they'd be no worse off today........in fact they'd probably have had some great QB's like Brees and Rodgers and seen a whole bunch of very good ones.

The Bills like to roll the dice once in every great while at QB and that is fine.......if you are both good at evaluating QB's and fortunate.

They aren't so they should be taking more shots.

Wouldn't affect the roster much.

Don't need to compare stats. The Chargers are on all the time in LA. I always liked watching them. They had a lot of fun players in those days. So I saw them a lot. Brees was just okay most of the time in his five years. And pretty good about a third of the time. If they thought he was very good they don't draft Rivers. Period.

Don't need to compare stats. The Chargers are on all the time in LA. I always liked watching them. They had a lot of fun players in those days. So I saw them a lot. Brees was just okay most of the time in his five years. And pretty good about a third of the time. If they thought he was very good they don't draft Rivers. Period.

False. He was a young qb who evolved into a very good one over time -- the way most teams used to bring qbs along. In his fourth season, his advanced passer rating was 131 (via pfr; 100 is average). That measure compares him to other QBs playing that particular season. It is extremely high and the third best rating of his storied career (by a whisker--he got to 132 and 133 in NO). The next year (05) was 110. I challenge you to go back to 1993 and find how many bills qbs who played a full or near full season (8-10 games) who hit 110. The chargers were good in 05 too--they were 9-6 going into the final game, in which brees got hurt early. They had a lot of close, bitter losses that year, and their pythagorean record was essentially 11-5. Their first five losses were all between 2 and 4 points.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sdg/2005.htm

I watched those games too because as you know i was a big butler supporter over donohoe.

Edited by dave mcbride

Brees had a horrible 2003 (his 3rd) season, throwing for 57.6%, 11 TDs and 15 INTs, and the Chargers tied with several other teams for worst record in the NFL. Draftng a new QB (Manning who they were forced to trade for RIvers) made sense. His 2004 season was really good, throwing for 65.5%, 27 TDs and 7 INTs, but his play fell off in 2005, throwing 64.4% but 24 TDs and 15 INTs. And then he got injured. But he really took of with NO under Payton.

Brees had a horrible 2003 (his 3rd) season, throwing for 57.6%, 11 TDs and 15 INTs, and the Chargers tied with several other teams for worst record in the NFL. Draftng a new QB (Manning who they were forced to trade for RIvers) made sense. His 2004 season was really good, throwing for 65.5%, 27 TDs and 7 INTs, but his play fell off in 2005, throwing 64.4% but 24 TDs and 15 INTs. And then he got injured. But he really took of with NO under Payton.

Look at his numbers in comparison to the rest of the league in 05. Don't compare his numbers with inflated 2016 stats, and see my post above.

Plus 1.