Rick Dennison new O Coord

Heitz

Good recall. You're talking about upsets. Those don't go consistently your way - thus "upset". Odds are not good for 2017. The D will need to return to the form of Schwartz year, and then we can talk realistically about making more of those upsets. If this coaching staff gets them to 500 in 2017, that would be amazing. But doubt it.

Yeah, well after we win a few of these "upsets", they won't be "upsets" anymore. That, and probably at least a few those tough looking games now won't turn out to be once they get here. Like the Colts win I sited in my post for example.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I don't know... say... someone with maybe some demonstrated play-calling experience for our defensive coordinator-turned-HC?

This guy may really turn out to be awesome. I am just not treating this hire like some sort of coup. Nor am I super excited about the "he knows/likes/has worked with Tyrod" angle.

The goal should really be to win an NFL championship, not to just squeak into the playoffs.

Ah, the well-worn "someone..." Give me a name.

And again I'll ask: who would have been inspiring?

Mike McCoy

Matt LaFleur

John DeFilippo

Hiring an offensive minded HC with a history of developing QBs like Kyle Shanahan.

Those would be inspiring moves.

Again, I will remain hopeful depending upon who the QB coach is and their pedigree. But right now, it's hard to get excited about Rick Dennison.

What? We ran play action with Hotrod frequently in games I was (all of them).

He wasn't the greatest at it because he would stop, make an exaggerated fake and then drop back further. Took way too long. But we did it.

There's a difference between a play fake out of the shotgun and play action. In the latter, the O line is selling their run action and the QB has to sell the run fake with his back to the defense. I don't recall TT doing that at all. Instead he'd fake putting the ball in McCoy's gut and then step back to throw, all the while with his eyes facing the D.

Mike McCoy

Matt LaFleur

John DeFilippo

Hiring an offensive minded HC with a history of developing QBs like Kyle Shanahan.

Those would be inspiring moves.

Again, I will remain hopeful depending upon who the QB coach is and their pedigree. But right now, it's hard to get excited about Rick Dennison.

What makes McCoy inspiring? As for the other 2 guys, LaFleur has never even been an OC in the NFL and DeFillipo was only an OC for one year for the Browns in 2015 and promptly went back to being a QB coach. Getting them as QB coaches would have been great, but they're not available.

Ah, the well-worn "someone..." Give me a name.

Joseph Mama

Haywood Jablome

Unlike Gregg Williams, I don’t have a rolodex of current available OC candidates at the ready. Like you, I now have 18 years invested in this drought. And I am certainly entitled to my opinion on the credentials of the guy they did select. If you absolutely need a name, an AVP-type would have been more appealing.

Sean, Doug & Russ are very happy to have a 25k –post TBD vet like you, hook line and sinker.

We had one recent coach who began the culture change heavy lifting, Marrone, and he decided after 2 years in the organization, to punt and pocket 4M. I’d say it has worked out OK for him.

We just hired a guy who sold us a Ford F-350 worth of snake oil, and (unbeknownst to the GM), was on thin enough ice to provide the interim replacement & make off with another 15M for not coaching here. And in just enough time to wing on out to AZ to catch his son’s playoff game on NYE rather than have to coach his finale in shame in Jets stadium the next day.

We have serious organizational issues a fresh new HC is unlikely to fix.

So I am sitting on my hands until they show me the baby at this point.

Joseph Mama

Haywood Jablome

Unlike Gregg Williams, I don’t have a rolodex of current available OC candidates at the ready. Like you, I now have 18 years invested in this drought. And I am certainly entitled to my opinion on the credentials of the guy they did select. If you absolutely need a name, an AVP-type would have been more appealing.

Sean, Doug & Russ are very happy to have a 25k –post TBD vet like you, hook line and sinker.

We had one recent coach who began the culture change heavy lifting, Marrone, and he decided after 2 years in the organization, to punt and pocket 4M. I’d say it has worked out OK for him.

We just hired a guy who sold us a Ford F-350 worth of snake oil, and (unbeknownst to the GM), was on thin enough ice to provide the interim replacement & make off with another 15M for not coaching here. And in just enough time to wing on out to AZ to catch his son’s playoff game on NYE rather than have to coach his finale in shame in Jets stadium the next day.

We have serious organizational issues a fresh new HC is unlikely to fix.

So I am sitting on my hands until they show me the baby at this point.

Just like I figured: "I don't know, but not who the Bills hired." :rolleyes:

Riiiiight, but I'm assuming that Sean McDermott does.

Another happy paying customer!

I’ll also bring up how our former, and now HOF GM took a serious look, and determined it was, in his exact words, “too heavy a lift.”

But apparently, we just had to hire Richie Cunningham… and Happy Days are here again!

Thank you. We are quite proud of our poets over here you know.... I do rather insist on people getting their names right.

I had thought that the case GB. Felt that correcting was the right thing to do. Not trying to be snarky. found grand humour in our common friend's daydream

Riiiiight, but I'm assuming that Sean McDermott does.

Ka Boom

I’ll also bring up how our former, and now HOF GM took a serious look, and determined it was, in his exact words, “too heavy a lift.”

But apparently, we just had to hire Richie Cunningham… and Happy Days are here again!

Wait, I did not see that announced yet?

source?

How much do you spend on the Bills?

Pretty simple: winner from winning organizations THAT CAN HANDLE THE PATS (Baltimore and Denver) and with an MA in engineering bodes reasonably well -- and it's more encouraging than the prospect of a longtime failure like Greg Olsen. I'm totally fine with this hire. Good sign re: McDermott too.

You know what? Yea, yea... This.