Full rebuild Coming

MAJBobby

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should go apply for a job with the Cleveland organization. Seems like you might be a good fit there. :thumbsup:

Isn't their goal to see how bad they can be every year back to back?

Some guys play to win, some play for beer, some play for draft picks. Cleveland plays for draft picks.

Thanks for this! I couldn't get up the will to answer it.

Ramming speed captain. Full speed ahead.

Something like this perhaps?

http://youtu.be/DlIS6WB1EII

Would you consider a 5 win season disaster averted?

Let's say the following happens:

Tyrod Taylor, Stephon Gilmore, Robert Woods, Lorenzo Alexander, Zach Brown are gone. Kyle retires.

New schemes on both sides of the ball. Likely much tougher schedule.

If you came to me and I was the owner and you were the GM and said you were thinking playoffs next year I would laugh hysterically and then fire you because I want a GM that can play chess not checkers.

Of course as a fan you want to win every game you can. But as a GM you have to understand your roster and come up with a strategy to improve.

Would you consider a 5 win season disaster averted?

Let's say the following happens:

Tyrod Taylor, Stephon Gilmore, Robert Woods, Lorenzo Alexander, Zach Brown are gone. Kyle retires.

New schemes on both sides of the ball. Likely much tougher schedule.

If you came to me and I was the owner and you were the GM and said you were thinking playoffs next year I would laugh hysterically and then fire you because I want a GM that can play chess not checkers.

Of course as a fan you want to win every game you can. But as a GM you have to understand your roster and come up with a strategy to improve.

I am of the mindset that - He who identifies talent the best and has the best coaches wins most. Doesn't matter if they draft high or low in each round. It is proven again and again year after year.

Gm's need to identify the best talent available to them every year, especially later round drafts and free agency and piece that talent together given their limited resources. If they make the right evaluations on that talent consistently for long enough without overspending, then they will build a playoff/Superbowl caliber roster. It is inevitable. If you are the best at doing that, you will be a perennial playoff team and often a contender to win a Superbowl.

In football as in the rest of life, you don't need to become a bigger failure first in order to succeed. Whoever gave you that mindset did you a disservice.

I am of the mindset that - He who identifies talent the best and has the best coaches wins most. Doesn't matter if they draft high or low in each round. It is proven again and again year after year.

Gm's need to identify the best talent available to them every year, especially later round drafts and free agency and piece that talent together given their limited resources. If they make the right evaluations on that talent consistently for long enough without overspending, then they will build a playoff/Superbowl caliber roster. It is inevitable. If you are the best at doing that, you will be a perennial playoff team and often a contender to win a Superbowl.

In football as in the rest of life, you don't need to become a bigger failure first in order to succeed. Whoever gave you that mindset did you a disservice.

Good take.

Any NFL GM that is certain he can get better by first getting worse is just guessing.......and likely doing so from the end of his rope......and probably because he's already managed to f*ck up a pretty good starting point.

Whaley is a candidate for this because it would be in his best interest to try to get the Pegula's to give him a few more years to fix the mess........but I don't think Pegula's are having that.

Time will tell.

Your mindset isn't about winning. It's win now and teams that think only of next year fail.

In hockey, every team that is out of the playoffs sells good players for prospects. Are they not winners like you? It's a basic accepted strategy of the sport.

Football people usually very unimaginative. They still punt when they shouldn't because there is a herd mentality.

I don't know what the best strategy is for the Bills. But if the GM determines they are a 6 to 7 win team they should look to the future and make moves to compete in the future.

Many teams draft and start a QB that is not as good as a vet. Are they trying to lose? No, they are trying to win long term.

I hope we get football people that can think beyond a few weeks. And then we can win more than we are.

There are no rebuilds in the NFL....it's draft a qb until you hit on one....end of discussion

yes but you have to be bad enough to draft a legit QB, which we can never do being 8-8 all the time. Yes I know QBS can be found latter but chances are better if you draft higher.

Leroi's tip that they were going after Brees is the opposite of full rebuild. Its QB Rebuild as in - TT isn't good enough and they are rebuilding at that position.

if we get Brees it's all in baby and we better draft weapons and sign some if need be.

Does Leroi have a link for this?

Based off listening to Whaley earlier.

They Bills are going to blow this up and build from ground up.

So who can you move that is older (wont be prime after rebuild)?

Shady

Kyle??

Hughes

I read some place and will have to find it that the Bills will have estimated between $50 - $80 M in available cap heading into 2018. A couple reasons play in - the upped TV contracts and current player (again I have to look) expiring. If it was hinted at a rebuild, then 2018 is on the minds of the Bills.

That said, i doubt we move on from Shady. I get it that RB's have a limited amount of mileage, but Dennison as OC did great things with CJ Anderson as RB and McDermott for a few years was the Eagles staff when Shady was an Eagle so there is some familiarity there.

I would say good bye to Kyle and Eric Wood, then based on how Dareus responds to the butt whooping he is going to take from McDermott in camp, offer to Dareus a restructure opportunity.

FWIW - and not to change the topic context, I am surprisingly liking the staff McDermott has put together so far.

I agree with this. Good post. Greats can be had late in the first round -- Aaron Rogers and Dan Marino were both late first rounders. The better organization got Marino after worse organizations took Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason earlier. Edited by dave mcbride

I read some place and will have to find it that the Bills will have estimated between $50 - $80 M in available cap heading into 2018. A couple reasons play in - the upped TV contracts and current player (again I have to look) expiring. If it was hinted at a rebuild, then 2018 is on the minds of the Bills.

That said, i doubt we move on from Shady. I get it that RB's have a limited amount of mileage, but Dennison as OC did great things with CJ Anderson as RB and McDermott for a few years was the Eagles staff when Shady was an Eagle so there is some familiarity there.

I would say good bye to Kyle and Eric Wood, then based on how Dareus responds to the butt whooping he is going to take from McDermott in camp, offer to Dareus a restructure opportunity.

FWIW - and not to change the topic context, I am surprisingly liking the staff McDermott has put together so far.

Wood maybe. Kyle, no way.

Basically 2017 is s waste and not worth my time. The Bills might get 4 or 5 meaningless wins which will only damage there 2018 draft pick spot.

Bye.

Well - the players on Cleveland play for their next job. Speaking of - How about RG3 for next year? He could help us "rebuild"

if by helping us rebuild, you mean taking us to rock bottom, then that's not a bad idea if the plan is indeed to bebuild.

Great Post Dave!

The Bills clearly haven't done enough of this over the years.

Very true.

It is my belief the Bills need a heavy dose of toughness. I recently read Jay Bilas book and I couldn't help but see the parallels with the Bills lacking mental toughness.

https://www.amazon.com/Toughness-Developing-True-Strength-Court/dp/0451414683

Great Post Dave!

The Bills clearly haven't done enough of this over the years.

Very true.

It is my belief the Bills need a heavy dose of toughness. I recently read Jay Bilas book and I couldn't help but see the parallels with the Bills lacking mental toughness.

https://www.amazon.com/Toughness-Developing-True-Strength-Court/dp/0451414683

Sometimes, a lot of that happens when you win.

The NFL is made of the best players on the planet. They don't suddenly loose mental toughness. The difference between the worst team and the best team is not that wide. Sometimes when teams win, that momentum creates that same toughness.

Sometimes, a lot of that happens when you win.

The NFL is made of the best players on the planet. They don't suddenly loose mental toughness. The difference between the worst team and the best team is not that wide. Sometimes when teams win, that momentum creates that same toughness.

By "planet" I assume you mean predominantly the USA.

Most people don't know what American football is, let alone play it.

True. That is also why it is asinine and pompous for the NFL to refer to Superbowl winners as "World Champions". Always irks me.

Superbowl champs are NFL champions and nothing more. Simply referring to them as "NFL Champions" or "Superbowl Champions" isn't good enough?

True. That is also why it is asinine and pompous for the NFL to refer to Superbowl winners as "World Champions". Always irks me.

Superbowl champs are NFL champions and nothing more. Simply referring to them as "NFL Champions" or "Superbowl Champions" isn't good enough?

Sure they're the World Champions...of American football. Just because not everyone plays/knows about it doesn't mean they're not the best team in the world at it.

You don't know how hilarious it is for a Canadian to see this discussion. I'm glad some have the self-awareness to realize this! LOL Living north of the border I'm used to hearing stuff like this - take everything that's US and make it "world". But everyone knows that the only champions of the world are which ever nation wins the World Cup. Indeed the Emperor does have new clothes. xD