Report: Greg Olson to Rams as QB coach

YoloinOhio

I don't think it does, simply because I view HC jobs as being in a different category. More importantly, though, while McDermott may end up being a great coach, why didn't we interview candidates who were equally (and in my view more, in a case or two) appealing, like Shanahan, McDaniel, and Patricia? We had a slim list of interviewees, and I suspect that's partly the result of the job's lack of appeal to hotter candidates, fairly or not. That doesn't mean that the Bills didn't get the best hire. Time will tell on that one and no one here knows if McDermott will be good or fail.

I'm not saying that the Bills hold zero appeal. It's not that extreme. But I think you guys are nuts if you think Buffalo is considered a desirable location right now, especially for offensive coaches.

Can't agree. From an offensive perspective the question mark is obviously QB with the looming decision on Tyrod. After the last two seasons, there are more questions on defense based on results we've seen on the field.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or he didn't get an offer from the Bills and decided to take the position rather than wait and see..

his interview wasn't until today but he may have known he wasn't getting the OC job and was only being considered for QB coach. Decided to go to west coast, apparently his kids are there Edited by YoloinOhio

his interview wasn't until today but he may have known he wasn't getting the OC job and was only being considered for QB coach. Decided to go to west coast, apparently his kids are there

Exactly this....local reporters like Sal and Vic are pissing me off with their tweets about Olsen passing on the bills...he would only have been passing on the bills if we offered him the OC job and he instead took QB coach job out west. We didn't offer him jack, and I really do think he knew we didn't want him as OC (QB coach).

I don't think it does, simply because I view HC jobs as being in a different category. More importantly, though, while McDermott may end up being a great coach, why didn't we interview candidates who were equally (and in my view more, in a case or two) appealing, like Shanahan, McDaniel, and Patricia? We had a slim list of interviewees, and I suspect that's partly the result of the job's lack of appeal to hotter candidates, fairly or not. That doesn't mean that the Bills didn't get the best hire. Time will tell on that one and no one here knows if McDermott will be good or fail.

I'm not saying that the Bills hold zero appeal. It's not that extreme. But I think you guys are nuts if you think Buffalo is considered a desirable location right now, especially for offensive coaches.

Shanahan strikes me as the best of this year's crop. Don't know why we didn't interview him (they interviewed him during the last cycle). Check out this article (at the end), Brian Hoyer compares him to Belichick:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/19/how-nfc-afc-championship-teams-built-nfl-playoffs

I'm so disgusted by the Bills' lack of strategic thinking. Hiring McD with no apparent strategy for filling the OC slot seems like yet another step backwards, or at least sideways. The Bills don't necessarily need a czar but they certainly could use help from an outside consulting firm like McKinsey. There just doesn't seem to be any coherent strategic thinking going on - it's all personality-driven, fly-by-the-seat...

Exactly this....local reporters like Sal and Vic are pissing me off with their tweets about Olsen passing on the bills...he would only have been passing on the bills if we offered him the OC job and he instead took QB coach job out west. We didn't offer him jack, and I really do think he knew we didn't want him as OC (QB coach).

He passed on even taking the interview. Why is anyones guess, but he did pass on the Bills. That much is certain.

Shanahan strikes me as the best of this year's crop. Don't know why we didn't interview him (they interviewed him during the last cycle). Check out this article (at the end), Brian Hoyer compares him to Belichick:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/19/how-nfc-afc-championship-teams-built-nfl-playoffs

I'm so disgusted by the Bills' lack of strategic thinking. Hiring McD with no apparent strategy for filling the OC slot seems like yet another step backwards, or at least sideways. The Bills don't necessarily need a czar but they certainly could use help from an outside consulting firm like McKinsey. There just doesn't seem to be any coherent strategic thinking going on - it's all personality-driven, fly-by-the-seat...

Says who...you? The fact the Bills didn't publicly announce their OC strategy means a strategy doesn't exist? That's a new one.

Can't agree. From an offensive perspective the question mark is obviously QB with the looming decision on Tyrod. After the last two seasons, there are more questions on defense based on results we've seen on the field.

Most teams that fire coaches have questions at QB. But few have a top 10 offense in place.

He passed on even taking the interview. Why is anyones guess, but he did pass on the Bills. That much is certain.

I ask this in seriousness...how do we know, other than Vic or Sal, that there actually was an interview set up with Olsen? I mean I know those two reported it, did OBD ever come out and say they set up an interview with Olsen?

I do not trust media, especially local media...aside from maybe Wawrow (even though he is annoying and has horrible taste in music), so I believe nothing until after the fact

It's all horrible flawed strategy for a couple reasons.

1) You don't know how difficult the schedule will be next year. We said the same thing last year playing the NFC West and AFC North. You never know until the season actually begins who will suck and who will be good.

2) We have no idea if a top QB will be in next years draft. Remember Brian Brohm was rated by many as the top QB coming out the year before he did?

If the Bills fielded a decent defense there is no way they'd be embarrassed in the playoffs given the offense the past couple years.

You're right, it's just my realistic forecast of what their record would be. IMO, with Tyrod starting and with that schedule the Bills will win 5 or 6 games next year. With Cardale starting, I think their win total will be 2-5 wins. Of course that schedule could be easier than it looks right now. But who cares. If you want to be relevant and a contender, the name of the games is finding a franchise QB. I think starting Cardale the full season affords you two potential lanes of actually finding that franchise QB. Starting Tyrod almost guarantees that they will miss out on any top franchise QBs in next years draft and they still won't know what they might have with Cardale. It's going to be very interesting to see what they do.

Edited by 1billsfan

I ask this in seriousness...how do we know, other than Vic or Sal, that there actually was an interview set up with Olsen? I mean I know those two reported it, did OBD ever come out and say they set up an interview with Olsen?

I do not trust media, especially local media...aside from maybe Wawrow (even though he is annoying and has horrible taste in music), so I believe nothing until after the fact

It's hard to know for sure. Anything national typically just repeats what the local reporters put out there. But I believe the interview being scheduled was reported before it was cancelled, and I can't think of a good reason for the local yokels to make that up. So ...

I don't understand the desire for anyone from the Pats. A look at www.graphics.wsj.com/NFL-coaches shows that not a single member of Belichek's coaching tree has been highly successful as a HC.

As far as the Bills not conducting a thorough search this time, they made it clear at the presser that the original net they cast included more than the four that made it to the final round. Holding that against them, to me, does not look at the entire picture.

It's hard to know for sure. Anything national typically just repeats what the local reporters put out there. But I believe the interview being scheduled was reported before it was cancelled, and I can't think of a good reason for the local yokels to make that up. So ...

well the locals yesterday reported that the Bills were going to interview AVP - and then this morning that was rebuked....so perhaps the same thing happened with Greg Olsen (yea sure hes being interviewed by the Bills...oh wait, hes taking the QB coach job in LA - he has passed on the Bills, when in reality maybe the Bills never intended to interview him at all, let alone for the OC job)

What makes you think Shanahan is the best of this year's crop?

maybe they didn't like him the first time they interviewed him

Now that is really funny.