The Trump Economy

GG

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

So let me get this straight,market does this last year .. President doesn’t influence the market

and now that we are back to essentially 2017 levels , POTUS works wonders on the market! 

markets rise and fall all the time. both examples are valid. 

i know it isn't about Obama anymore but humor me here... with the collapse of 2008, seems Obama had the ripe position to claim record strides, was he able to?

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

markets rise and fall all the time. both examples are valid. 

i know it isn't about Obama anymore but humor me here... with the collapse of 2008, seems Obama had the ripe position to claim record strides, was he able to?

Have no clue if “ his” markets set records, but pull up the S&P chart from 2009, pretty consistent growth , and I am guessing , and only guessing, % growth about the same his last 3 years as what Trump has accomplished to date.

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Have no clue if “ his” markets set records, but pull up the S&P chart from 2009, pretty consistent growth , and I am guessing , and only guessing, % growth about the same his last 3 years as what Trump has accomplished to date.

1917367971_SPHistorical.thumb.jpg.49fca211625dd34d5ffcb80c6cbbc2e2.jpg

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

1917367971_SPHistorical.thumb.jpg.49fca211625dd34d5ffcb80c6cbbc2e2.jpg

We're in the longest bull market ever.  It did well under Obama but it was beaten to death when he took office, the only way was up.  The market got a bump immediately after Trump was elected which was a vote of confidence by investors.  Tax cuts and continued giant deficit spending plus low interest rates are fueling the economy.  The confidence thing though is so important.  So much of consumer spending and business spending happens due to people's confidence.  There is an awful lot that we as consumers can do without when confidence is low.  Trump with a business friendly approach and the resulting low unemployment deserves credit for stoking confidence. 

• Like (+1) 1

The first question for the Dem debate was that of Democratic voters polled 61 percent stated the economy was going well, (add that to 98 percent of GOP voters...)

the only response was NOT EVeRYOne was enjoying the economy.

loser city and loser answer right there

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The first question for the Dem debate was that of Democratic voters polled 61 percent stated the economy was going well, (add that to 98 percent of GOP voters...)

the only response was NOT EVeRYOne was enjoying the economy.

loser city and loser answer right there

Hence the rainbow farting unicorn meme.  Someone needs to let the left know that utopia doesn’t exist.  Some people have great lives. Others not so great.  What they need to focus on is how did those that are great become great. Not pander to all.  You can’t succeed by being everything to everyone. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Hence the rainbow farting unicorn meme.  Someone needs to let the left know that utopia doesn’t exist.  Some people have great lives. Others not so great.  What they need to focus on is how did those that are great become great. Not pander to all.  You can’t succeed by being everything to everyone. 

Dems prefer millions more are out of work so they can pretend to be a saviour 

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

For 2020 Democrats, It’s ‘Ignore The Economy, Stupid’

Issues & Insights, by The Editorial Board

Original Article

From your link:

“Seventy-one percent of Americans say the economy is doing well, including 60% of Democrats,” she said. “What do you say to those who worry this kind of significant change could be risky to the economy?”

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, the first to answer, pretended not hear the question. Instead, she went on a rant about how the economy is “doing great for a thinner and thinner slice at the top.”  But if that were true, why are six in ten of her fellow Democrats happy with the way things are going? No one bothered to ask her that.

word cloud of the debates shows that “economy” barely got mentioned over the two nights. Democrats talked almost as much about guns as they did jobs.

And when Democrats did talk about the economy, it was in grim, Dickensian terms.

Cory Booker said, “I see every single day that this economy is not working for average Americans” and claimed that “dignity is being stripped from labor, and we have people that work full-time jobs and still can’t make a living wage.”

For Kamala Harris, “this economy is not working for working people.” She dismissed the low unemployment number as meaningless because: “Well, yeah, people in America are working. They’re working two and three jobs.”

Amy Klobuchar complained that “Donald Trump just sits in the White House and gloats about what’s going on, when you have so many people that are having trouble affording college and having trouble affording their premiums.”

There was no talk of extending or expanding the current boom. No celebration of the gains in employment among blacks and Hispanics, the decline in poverty, the rising wages, the fact that incomes at the low end are climbing.

Democrats instead debated about how much free stuff they would give people, including health care to illegal immigrants.

The economic discussion, when it occurred, focused mostly on redistribution and class envy.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio spoke for pretty much every one of the 20 Democrats on stage those two nights when he said: “There’s plenty of money in this country. It’s just in the wrong hands.”

• Thank you (+1) 2

And on Trump’s handling of economic issues, the numbers are even more grisly:

• Only 39 percent approve of Trump’s handling of trade with other countries, vs. 59 percent who disapprove.
  • Only 35 percent approve of Trump’s handling of health care, vs. 62 percent who disapprove.
  • Only 42 percent approve of Trump’s handling of taxes, vs. 55 percent who disapprove. And only 17 percent say their taxes decreased, despite Trump’s spin about the Great and Glorious Tax Cut of 2017.

new Associated Press poll 

Edited by Tiberius

33 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

And on Trump’s handling of economic issues, the numbers are even more grisly:

• Only 39 percent approve of Trump’s handling of trade with other countries, vs. 59 percent who disapprove.
  • Only 35 percent approve of Trump’s handling of health care, vs. 62 percent who disapprove.
  • Only 42 percent approve of Trump’s handling of taxes, vs. 55 percent who disapprove. And only 17 percent say their taxes decreased, despite Trump’s spin about the Great and Glorious Tax Cut of 2017.

new Associated Press poll 

No, it was an Amerispeak poll in which those completing the poll get rewards.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

No, it was an Amerispeak poll in which those completing the poll get rewards.

True.

The nationwide poll was conducted June 13-17, 2019, using the AmeriSpeak® Panel, the probability-based panel of NORC at the University of Chicago.

Online and telephone interviews using landlines and cell phones were conducted with 1,116 adults.

The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 4.0 percentage points.

Following the transportation industry is one way to judge how the economy is doing. Trucks and railroads pretty much move all the goods and raw materials that are sold or used in the United States. That is one reason investors keep an eye on the Dow Jones Transportation Index to get a feeling for how the economy is performing. Neither railroad traffic nor the Index are doing well recently.

The underlying economy is weaker than perceived when you look at March quarter’s GDP numbers and the recent employment report. And if the economy continues on this path it could enter a recession when few are forecasting one with one reliable indicator foreshadowing a downturn in the next 6 to 18 months.

Railroad traffic is lower than last year and getting worse

The Association of American Railroads or AAR tracks U.S. rail traffic and releases weekly, monthly and yearly data. Monitoring this activity provides another indication on how the economy is performing.

In its most recent release ending on June 1 it shows that total rail traffic is down over 2% year over year and has weakened as the year has progressed. For 2019 year to date year over year changes have been:

January:     Up 1.1%

February:   Down 0.2%

March:         Down 1.8%

April:            Down 1.9%

May:             Down 2.4%

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2019/06/10/trumps-economy-is-literally-coming-off-the-rails/#7c33a02d607d

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Following the transportation industry is one way to judge how the economy is doing. Trucks and railroads pretty much move all the goods and raw materials that are sold or used in the United States. That is one reason investors keep an eye on the Dow Jones Transportation Index to get a feeling for how the economy is performing. Neither railroad traffic nor the Index are doing well recently.

The underlying economy is weaker than perceived when you look at March quarter’s GDP numbers and the recent employment report. And if the economy continues on this path it could enter a recession when few are forecasting one with one reliable indicator foreshadowing a downturn in the next 6 to 18 months.

The Association of American Railroads or AAR tracks U.S. rail traffic and releases weekly, monthly and yearly data. Monitoring this activity provides another indication on how the economy is performing.

In its most recent release ending on June 1 it shows that total rail traffic is down over 2% year over year and has weakened as the year has progressed. For 2019 year to date year over year changes have been:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2019/06/10/trumps-economy-is-literally-coming-off-the-rails/#7c33a02d607d

I've read this same type of article numerous times since Trump was elected. 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

You jump on every report, fake or not, that might show a negative for our country. It's as if you revel in bad news. I guess I'll have to bring back the "Gleeful Gator" moniker for you as you put your anti-American mask on.

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You jump on every report, fake or not, that might show a negative for our country. It's as if you revel in bad news. I guess I'll have to bring back the "Gleeful Gator" moniker for you as you put your anti-American mask on.

No you idiot, I'm not the one doing fake news. You are so dishonest

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No you idiot, I'm not the one doing fake news...

I love you, Tibs, but you're still pushing a Trump/Russia conspiracy which has been debunked by three separate investigations -- including Mueller's. 

So... you are, and have been for three years. 

41 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

To be fair both left and right are guilty of this.  We all want "our guy or gal" to be right and theirs to be wrong.  And hoping for bad things to happen while "their guy or gal" is in office is a tradition. A dumb one but there it is.  To say that those of us on the right were not looking at any bad news during the Obama administration just so we could say "AHA!!  You ***** up!!" is disingenuous.  

39 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

To be fair both left and right are guilty of this.  We all want "our guy or gal" to be right and theirs to be wrong.  And hoping for bad things to happen while "their guy or gal" is in office is a tradition. A dumb one but there it is.  To say that those of us on the right were not looking at any bad news during the Obama administration just so we could say "AHA!!  You ***** up!!" is disingenuous.  

While I despised Obama and his policies for example, I don't remember ever wishing bad things for America while he was in office.

The Trump administration’s overhaul of the U.S. tax codeOpens a New Window. has done little to spur major corporations to increase capital investments or hiring plansOpens a New Window., according to a survey by the National Association For Business Economics.

Officially implemented in January 2018, the $1.5 trillion tax reform package reduced the corporate tax rate to 21 percent from 35 percent and changed the way the government taxes businesses that operate overseas.  

However, a survey of 106 NABE members revealed that 84 percent of respondents said their companies had not changed their capex plans due to tax reform. That figure rose slightly compared to results of NABE’s last survey from October, when 81 percent of economists noted no change to plans for capital investment or hiring.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/us-economy-unlikely-to-enter-recession-in-next-12-months-nabe-survey

55 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

the left demands to change society right now, no matter what it is, usually in total disregard to the laws of nature and human nature

conservatives aren't like that, they want to keep the good things and bring back some of the good things the lunatics destroyed when they held power in the 60s and 70s

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I love you, Tibs, but you're still pushing a Trump/Russia conspiracy which has been debunked by three separate investigations -- including Mueller's. 

So... you are, and have been for three years. 

Nothing of the sort has been debunked. Trump proves he is working with Putin every time he talks about him. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

While I despised Obama and his policies for example, I don't remember ever wishing bad things for America while he was in office.

Good for you. Now point out where in my post I mentioned you specifically.  Just pointing out that many on the right did wish for bad things.  

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Trump proves he is working with Putin every time he talks about him. 

Whoa whoa whoa stop the presses.  You have now officially gone completely bat ***** crazy.  You have posted some really really really dumbass things over the years but this is by far the dumbassiest.  Again...keep it up.  Fuel for the Trump 2020 fire.  

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Good for you. Now point out where in my post I mentioned you specifically.  Just pointing out that many on the right did wish for bad things.  

You made a general statement, Mr. Grinch.

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

You said all, and I was going to reply the same as 3rd.  I did not want Obama to fail.  I don't have time for that. My income is pretty dependent on the economy. 

Now, when things went bad, I did like to say Thanks, Obama!

But, I think people on the left, most, would rather Trump fail and things go bad.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bbb said:

You said all, and I was going to reply the same as 3rd.  I did not want Obama to fail.  I don't have time for that. My income is pretty dependent on the economy. 

Now, when things went bad, I did like to say Thanks, Obama!

But, I think people on the left, most, would rather Trump fail and things go bad.  

Fair enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bbb said:

They need it.  It's the only way they can ram through their agenda, is in the wake of a crisis.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yes, I made a general statement and you took it personally.   Thanks for reinforcing my point. 

You need to take a pill...………………………………………….or hook up with Bob.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

You need to take a pill...………………………………………….or hook up with Bob.

No I just need to follow along a little better.  

But my point still stands that both sides are very guilty of this practice.  Because I mistakenly used the word all (and I rarely paint with a broad brush) does not have me backing down from my point.  

Edited by Chef Jim