Who fills these open QB spots

Tyrod Taylor is not going to get the Brock O treatment this FA period. He's just not. He'll get a deal a la Fitzpatrick, a short term bottom tier starter deal.

Browns Kizer

SF Trubisky

Bills Cutler and Watson

Jets Mahomes

Denver TT

Chicago Hoyer for a tank year

Houston Brocketship

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland - RG3 (Trubisky-draft)
SF - Watson (1st round)
Jets - Kizer (1st round)
Bears - Cutler
Bills - Romo (trade- 2nd rd pick)
Broncos - Tyrod
Texans - Savage

I know you are assuming Rivers is back in SD, everything changes if he's available and I think the Bills trade the number 10 pick to Chargers for him. I could see Romo in Houston then.

Edited by horned dogs

There are 7 potential open QB spots in 2017. I am assuming for the purposes of this that Palmer and Rivers play another year and Cousins goes back to Washington. What I am looking for is the name of the QB that starts for these teams next year on opening day. To be clear obvious placeholders like Keenum over Goff don't count. Use Goff as he is the guy that they would be planning on going forward with.

Cleveland - Jimmy G (trade 1st pick of 2nd round)

SF - Watson (1st round)

Jets - Mitch T (1st round)

Bears - Romo (trade)

Bills - TT

Broncos - Siemian

Texans - Mahomes (1st round)

If another job opens I'd think Glennon would be next in line.

I like Mahomes. I'm hoping he is available for us in the 2nd round.

An addendum to the qb question Kirby posed is what prospects could be available in the second round in this draft? Or which of the currently top three qb prospects could fall and be available in the lower first round a la Aaron Rodgers in his draft year?

I'm seeing a lot of Osweiler in Houston. I think that he is definitely on their roster but I cant see how a team that talented will punt on next year. They have to be thinking about drafting a guy, trading for a guy, signing a guy (cheap) or playing Savage.

An addendum to the qb question Kirby posed is what prospects could be available in the second round in this draft? Or which of the currently top three qb prospects could fall and be available in the lower first round a la Aaron Rodgers in his draft year?

I think Kizer falls to the 2nd round and Mahomes rises. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Is everyone already writing off Kap in SF? Isn't he a certified BB QB? Also , I remember a number of posts a few years back saying he was just having a down period and will bounce back. Maybe he finally bounces back this year? ;-)

His recent play makes Romans performance in SF look much better.

great topic.

Tyrod Taylor is not going to get the Brock O treatment this FA period. He's just not. He'll get a deal a la Fitzpatrick, a short term bottom tier starter deal.

Browns Kizer
SF Trubisky
Bills Cutler and Watson
Jets Mahomes
Denver TT
Chicago Hoyer for a tank year
Houston Brocketship

great topic. Dont mean to pick on you specifically, since others have tyrod going to denver as well... just feel the tyrod to denver narrative is thin now. they used a first round pick last year on a QB - and they are relatively pleased with siemians play. i sincerely believe denver is not in the qb market any longer.

Browns - Trubinsky (with their second 1st round pick)

SF - Tyrod (I had to send him somewhere...he is starting somewhere in the NFL next year...but it won't be for the Bill do to reasons stated below)

Jets- Romo (he has pull in where he gets traded - and i think he will like the weapons and the idea of the NY market)

Denver - Siemian (possibly Lynch if he progresses nicely this offseason)

Chicago - ugh. IDK...Cutler (only because I like him and think he is underrated. my gut tells me the Bears will move on based on fan pressure...)

Bills - Watson (we will overreach for him the 1st round and play him immediately...we cut TT in order to keep (franchise) Gilmore and sign a mid tier FA safety)

Houston - Brock...(they are stuck for one more year with him...his dead money and cap savings for 2017 is a nightmare)

For the record...Kizer slips out of 1st

Edited by oddoublee

His recent play makes Romans performance in SF look much better.

Kap will be out of the NFL next year. Rumor is that he is involved in a startup- Fro-dough - a multilevel marketing style - high end "big hair" products company for high profile celebrities and athletes.

Kaepernick grew that fro out this year to build momentum for the company launch. Kap's even got Shaq Lawson signed up to promote his version of the fro-comb. You saw Shaq wearing it during his recent locker room interview.

great topic.

great topic. Dont mean to pick on you specifically, since others have tyrod going to denver as well... just feel the tyrod to denver narrative is thin now. they used a first round pick last year on a QB - and they are relatively pleased with siemians play. i sincerely believe denver is not in the qb market any longer.

Browns - Trubinsky (with their second 1st round pick)

SF - Tyrod (I had to send him somewhere...he is starting somewhere in the NFL next year...but it won't be for the Bill do to reasons stated below)

Jets- Romo (he has pull in where he gets traded - and i think he will like the weapons and the idea of the NY market)

Denver - Siemian (possibly Lynch if he progresses nicely this offseason)

Chicago - ugh. IDK...Cutler (only because I like him and think he is underrated. my gut tells me the Bears will move on based on fan pressure...)

Bills - Watson (we will overreach for him the 1st round and play him immediately...we cut TT in order to keep (franchise) Gilmore and sign a mid tier FA safety)

Houston - Brock...(they are stuck for one more year with him...his dead money and cap savings for 2017 is a nightmare)

For the record...Kizer slips out of 1st

The corollary to having two cheap guys like Lynch and Simiean is that they have some money to spend on a QB and have a decent window with the rest of that roster. Most of the other teams only have one or the other.

SF is up there for me with TT. I think he ends up there, personally. Nice weather, starting job and definitely some cash.

Edited by FireChan

I'm seeing a lot of Osweiler in Houston. I think that he is definitely on there roster but I cant see how a team that talented will punt on next year. They have to be thinking about drafting a guy, trading for a guy, signing a guy (cheap) or playing Savage.

I think Kizer falls to the 2nd round and Mahomes rises.

For the sake of argument if the Bills have a conviction on either Kizer or Mahomes as a prospect then maybe the best approach is to move down in the first round and select one of them and have an additional pick or two to work with. With or without TT this might be a good approach to take. This approach could have been taken with respect to Carr or Bridgewater.

What the Houston/New England game demonstrated in spades is that unless you have a quality qb your ambitions will be snuffed out by the dispiriting bad play of an incapable qb. Houston's good defense was squandered in a game that could have been won if the qb play reached the level of being adequate.

There are 7 potential open QB spots in 2017. I am assuming for the purposes of this that Palmer and Rivers play another year and Cousins goes back to Washington. What I am looking for is the name of the QB that starts for these teams next year on opening day. To be clear obvious placeholders like Keenum over Goff don't count. Use Goff as he is the guy that they would be planning on going forward with.

Cleveland - Jimmy G (trade 1st pick of 2nd round)

SF - Watson (1st round)

Jets - Mitch T (1st round)

Bears - Romo (trade)

Bills - TT

Broncos - Siemian

Texans - Mahomes (1st round)

If another job opens I'd think Glennon would be next in line.

IF McDaniels takes the SF job then Jimmy G. Will go there for their 2nd and 4th. With Watson to Cleveland, Broncos start Lynch next year. You don't spend a 1st round pick and make him sit unless you have a Farve like QB in front of him.