If Bills dump Taylor, where does he end up?

dtgolder

Back to the original post - - the answer is anyone who failed to make the playoffs as Taylor is better than anyone they have.

It's ironic. We know he's not Brady, but neither is anyone else. If we can keep him we should. And we should also work to find the long term answer (draft a QB annually).

Whoever was the mastermind of the contract screwed this up. They were expecting him to be either great or horrible - well he's on an average team with an average record. So what do they do?

Frankly, they cannot afford to lose him as he is the best we've had in years. If nothing else he is a good game manager and anyone else will result in us winning even fewer games next year. That said, in order to keep him, there needs to be a salary purge so we can afford to sign/re-sign guys that will allow the salary puzzle to work.

I don't envy the task facing Whaley/McD, but only they can figure it out and if TT is gone, they need an excellent plan B in place.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it but I'd rather over pay on a guy like Tyrod who is a professional in and out and a student of the game then over pay for a guy like Dareus who doesn't really seem to care or get it at all. I think another team would be willing to pay him a contract a lot closer to ours than people think honestly. Get him a couple of decent receivers and an average defense and he's a playoff QB.

A student of the game? What does he do on the field that shows that? He does nothing presnap. This student needs to study more or he has a learning disorder.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-rumors-cleveland-browns-to-pursue-tyrod-taylor-if-cut-by-buffalo-bills-011717

The Buffalo Bills are a mess. Not only did they hire and fire former head coach Rex Ryan in a two-year span, but are seriously considering cutting their Pro Bowl starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor. For whatever reason, his 61.7 completion percentage for 3,023 yards, 17 passing touchdowns and six interceptions in 15 games isn’t good enough to keep him as a long-term solution in Buffalo.

Being labeled as Ryan’s guy totally hurts him, but Taylor is at very worst a serviceable starting quarterback in the NFL. He is certainly better than E.J. Manuel, Cardale Jones, or whomever the Bills could draft at No. 10 in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Everything us that are members of the COT( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: because somehow it is a knock to support a player on our favorite team :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) have been saying. So at least 1 team will be bidding on his services...

Edited by section122

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-rumors-cleveland-browns-to-pursue-tyrod-taylor-if-cut-by-buffalo-bills-011717

The Buffalo Bills are a mess. Not only did they hire and fire former head coach Rex Ryan in a two-year span, but are seriously considering cutting their Pro Bowl starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor. For whatever reason, his 61.7 completion percentage for 3,023 yards, 17 passing touchdowns and six interceptions in 15 games isnt good enough to keep him as a long-term solution in Buffalo.

Being labeled as Ryans guy totally hurts him, but Taylor is at very worst a serviceable starting quarterback in the NFL. He is certainly better than E.J. Manuel, Cardale Jones, or whomever the Bills could draft at No. 10 in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Everything us that are members of the COT( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: because somehow it is a knock to support a player on our favorite team :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) have been saying. So at least 1 team will be bidding on his services...

That bold part is pretty much exactly how I feel. I don't know why the Bills think that they can upgrade from "pretty good." Teams have a hard time doing that. That's why you saw those extensions for Bradford, Dalton, Tannehill, Tyrod, etc...

That bold part is pretty much exactly how I feel. I don't know why the Bills think that they can upgrade from "pretty good." Teams have a hard time doing that. That's why you saw those extensions for Bradford, Dalton, Tannehill, Tyrod, etc...

If the offense undergoes a complete change due to new coaching philosophies, does the bolded statement still hold true?

If the offense undergoes a complete change due to new coaching philosophies, does the bolded statement still hold true?

Based on what I have seen from the guys in the draft, absolutely (at least for 2017). The Bills offense will regress with a QB change (unless they get Romo or Rivers). There are a couple of guys that, if they develop, can be better long-term options. I do not see any of that in 2017 though.

Yeah me too that is why I chose to bold that section.

TT may not ever be a top 5 QB in the league but I see a guy still developing and right around the 20th best qb give or take a guy. His money doesn't make him an albatross a la Flacco and his stauts doesn't preclude the Bills from drafting someone. Try to get better at the position but it doesn't mean they have to get worse to do that. Maintain status quo AND try to improve. It is so simple!

Based on what I have seen from the guys in the draft, absolutely (at least for 2017). The Bills offense will regress with a QB change (unless they get Romo or Rivers). There are a couple of guys that, if they develop, can be better long-term options. I do not see any of that in 2017 though.

I'm just not sure that if you take Taylor out of this offense, which is where I think he will perform best, and put him in a more traditional offense that you won't be able to replicate his production with someone else.

Even if he is still the best available in a more traditional offense the margin between him and the next best is significantly smaller. And depending on salary cap hits, the better choice could be the cheaper option.

To me, if the Bills are planning to keep the offense pretty much the same, Taylor is a no brainer. If they plan on changing things up, he's not nearly as clear cut of a front runner.

I'm just not sure that if you take Taylor out of this offense, which is where I think he will perform best, and put him in a more traditional offense that you won't be able to replicate his production with someone else.

Even if he is still the best available in a more traditional offense the margin between him and the next best is significantly smaller. And depending on salary cap hits, the better choice could be the cheaper option.

To me, if the Bills are planning to keep the offense pretty much the same, Taylor is a no brainer. If they plan on changing things up, he's not nearly as clear cut of a front runner.

The Bills were 7th in PPG (through 15 weeks) without Sammy for half of the year. I think that if they are considering changing it up they are idiots. 26 PPG was not the problem. Now, the entire offensive staff is gone so we will see some changes. I would like to think that they can look back to the things that the Bills did and expand upon them not eliminate them. Remember the last time that the Bills were successful on one side of the ball and a new coach came in and tried to implement his system....

The Bills were 7th in PPG (through 15 weeks) without Sammy for half of the year. I think that if they are considering changing it up they are idiots. 26 PPG was not the problem. Now, the entire offensive staff is gone so we will see some changes. I would like to think that they can look back to the things that the Bills did and expand upon them not eliminate them. Remember the last time that the Bills were successful on one side of the ball and a new coach came in and tried to implement his system....

The offensive scheme is the part I think a lot of people leave out when talking about keeping Tyrod versus anyone else.

This scheme + McCoy + Tyrod + Watkins = an offense good enough to get in the playoffs.

Can you find a better QB for the scheme we ran in 2016? Probably not.

Change the scheme and you may need to change Tyrod. Is that a smart move? Dunno, it's definitely a big gamble that may be looking more long term than short term.

Whoever was the mastermind of the contract screwed this up. They were expecting him to be either great or horrible - well he's on an average team with an average record. So what do they do?

This is the part that kills me. They completely ignored the most likely outcome because that made it easier to solve the short term problem. As usual this franchise has absolutely no foresight.

To all those Bills fans desperate to forget that they think they DON'T know what a QB will develop into after six years in the league ...

Tyrod's been in the NFL for six years. And he regressed between the fifth and sixth years.

The list of people who were not franchise QBs by year six but then became franchise QBs is an extremely short list, the kind of list where you can cut off a finger or two or three and still count them on one hand. There's Gannon and .... um ....

Brees.

Major difference there. Brees didn't have four years in the league to learn about defenses before he had his first start. His first great year came in his fourth year in the league. And it wasn't as a result of passing less that he started getting good, it was that the light came on. He started looking terrific in training camp that year.

And Brees also didn't regress between his fifth and sixth years the way Tyrod has. Just the opposite.

You can't compare guys who had difficulties in the first couple of years of their NFL careers with a guy like Tyrod who had four years to learn how to read defenses.

Contrary to what you or others may think, sitting on the bench doesn't necessarily teach you everything there is to know about how to read defenses. Nothing prepares a player for the NFL more than stepping on the field and actually playing as it takes awhile just to get used to the speed of the game. If you don't believe me ask a QB player or coach.

To the fans that think sitting on a bench, in the film room or holding a clipboard equates to years of actual on the field playing experience...it doesn't! First of all, he was playing, actually starting in a brand new system in Buffalo in which he needed to learn the language, the plays, the protections and to start reading defenses on the fly. Nothing, and I mean nothing will prepare a young QB to play in this league more than actual playing in the NFL. The late, great Bill Walsh stated it generally takes four years of "playing" experience to fully develop a QB.

Second, Take a look at this year's league leading QB and what he looked like when his superstar WR only played in 5 games instead of 16. That 2013 Atlanta Falcons team went 4-12 and that elite franchise QB didn't play anywhere near what he is capable of playing because he lost his primary target in Julio Jones for 11 games that year!

Tyrod Taylor was throwing to a severely depleted receiving corps this year with Woods the leading receiver with 10 game starts, 51 rec for 613 yards, 1 TD. Clay 15 games, 57 rec for 552 yards, 4 TDs. Goodwin 29 rec for 431 yards, 3 TDs. Watkins 8 games 28 rec for 430 yards, 2 TDs. If you look at the first few games Sammy Watkins was still injured and basically did nothing in those games. I'm sure that Taylor also missed his number one first down maker in Chris Hogan who is now a Patriot.

Just as a comparison Sammy Watkins played in 13 games in 2015 and had 60 rec for 1047 yards, 9 TDs.

Then take into consideration that the Bills had a new OC for the majority of the year who didn't call as many deep bombs as Greg Roman called in 2015 at around 10% less.

As for Brees, it is a perfect example in terms of starting because he sat his first year and went 8-8 in his first year of starting and then regressed in his second season starting for whatever reason and was benched for it. He also played far worse than Taylor has done as he went 356 attempts for 305 completions 2108 yards with 11TDs, 15 INTs! He played so much worse that the team used their #1 overall pick in the draft that year on a QB to replace him and eventually did replace him.

After two seasons of playing experience, Brees then developed into a far more accurate superb passer going 11-4 with 400 attempts, 262 completions 3159 yards 27 TDs, 7 INTs. Some QB's take longer to develop and some less

The offensive scheme is the part I think a lot of people leave out when talking about keeping Tyrod versus anyone else.

This scheme + McCoy + Tyrod + Watkins = an offense good enough to get in the playoffs.

Can you find a better QB for the scheme we ran in 2016? Probably not.

Change the scheme and you may need to change Tyrod. Is that a smart move? Dunno, it's definitely a big gamble that may be looking more long term than short term.

I guess that I go to why do we need to make major changes to the scheme? Coaches need to adapt their scheme to their talent not the other way around (sorry Rex). Olson had a brutal running game in Jacksonville. If he gets the OC job, and doesn't get the ball to McCoy often enough his time here will be short.

I assume they are changing things up since the goal is to compete for a championship and not merely a wild card.

Everyone loves to point to the PPG average but we all saw what happened in Oakland when a good team who can score turned up the heat in the second half. In games like that and in the playoffs, you have to be able to respond with offensive firepower.

I guess that I go to why do we need to make major changes to the scheme? Coaches need to adapt their scheme to their talent not the other way around (sorry Rex). Olson had a brutal running game in Jacksonville. If he gets the OC job, and doesn't get the ball to McCoy often enough his time here will be short.

Not saying we do, but with a completely different coaching staff, it's a pretty good possibility.

If I had to guess, I'd lean more towards it changing than staying the same. But that's a guess on my part at this point.

The Bills were 7th in PPG (through 15 weeks) without Sammy for half of the year. I think that if they are considering changing it up they are idiots. 26 PPG was not the problem.

For sure. Not to say there are things the O couldn't have done better, like possession time, but they were better than OK

One thing people need to consider about TT also. The guy over two years has been pretty indestructible, doesn't miss time. Example you bring in a Romo who lasts a month, what good is that?

The media seems shocked that Taylor didn't play in the last game. The game meant nothing. They chose to sit him in case he got hurt in a meaningless game.

This also gave them the opportunity to look at EJ and make a decision based on real playing time. He blew it. He's gone.

Tyrod has a ton of natural ability. He's a great athlete. He has a big arm. The new regime wants to evaluate the position and decide what to do. This will include the new OC.

Why does everybody seem to need to know TODAY what they are doing with Tyrod? We've got time to sort it out.

The media seems shocked that Taylor didn't play in the last game. The game meant nothing. They chose to sit him in case he got hurt in a meaningless game.

This also gave them the opportunity to look at EJ and make a decision based on real playing time. He blew it. He's gone.

Tyrod has a ton of natural ability. He's a great athlete. He has a big arm. The new regime wants to evaluate the position and decide what to do. This will include the new OC.

Why does everybody seem to need to know TODAY what they are doing with Tyrod? We've got time to sort it out.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

instant answers are required when hypotheticals are all that is available.

Tough crowd