TT attends McDermott's press conference - hmmmm

YoloinOhio

And called him when he was hired.

If they are moving on it seems he doesn't know or doesn't ever read social media. Or any media.

Anyway, 1st class move and perhaps his agent encouraged it but it was good to see he is engaged in the new coaching regime.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a positive sign. Taylor knows, I'm sure, that a starting QB who is not elite is always a possible casualty when there is a coaching change.

My hope is that they maybe add an extra year on and change the guarantees so he'll get the same total amount of money and gets another year of security but in exchange his cap hit drops.

If Taylor is willing to play for $10-12m per year, no brainer to keep him.

His cap hit for the next 2 years is 15 and 16. Then we'd have the option to release him for about 10M hit split over 2 years. If he somehow made it 3 years without restructuring we could cut him for a negligible loss.

Not that much different than 10-12 mil per year.

I think it's a positive sign. Taylor knows, I'm sure, that a starting QB who is not elite is always a possible casualty when there is a coaching change.

My hope is that they maybe add an extra year on and change the guarantees so he'll get the same total amount of money and gets another year of security but in exchange his cap hit drops.

You don't extend a player you expect to cut - you're just delaying the inevitable dead cap hit. A restructuring would mean a whole entire new contract most likely. The option bonus hasn't kicked in yet, so you'd be looking at a new option bonus, or signing bonus, or converting something to a roster bonus for this year.

His cap hit for the next 2 years is 15 and 16. Then we'd have the option to release him for about 10M hit split over 2 years. If he somehow made it 3 years without restructuring we could cut him for a negligible loss.

Not that much different than 10-12 mil per year.

You don't extend a player you expect to cut - you're just delaying the inevitable dead cap hit. A restructuring would mean a whole entire new contract most likely. The option bonus hasn't kicked in yet, so you'd be looking at a new option bonus, or signing bonus, or converting something to a roster bonus for this year.

i'm looking at overthecap and if we cut him as a post june 1 cut his cap hit is only 4 mil each year. is that accurate?

i'm looking at overthecap and if we cut him as a post june 1 cut his cap hit is only 4 mil each year. is that accurate?

Remember - his option bonus has not triggered yet. We'd only pay the remainder of his signing bonus that was split over 4 years through 2020. The base salary for next year is also not guaranteed until he's on the team on that 3rd day. At that point the full 2017 base is guaranteed, the option bonus is paid out, and 3.25 million of 2018 salary is guaranteed.

Basically you're dropping 30.25 mil on him next year, and 40 over the next 2 because you wouldn't cut him if you kept him beyond this year.

Once we trigger the option bonus its 3.1 million spread out over 5 years of the cap.

If they are moving on it seems he doesn't know or doesn't ever read social media. Or any media.

Anyway, 1st class move and perhaps his agent encouraged it but it was good to see he is engaged in the new coaching regime.

Read what media? You mean the "reports" that provide no concrete evidence that Taylor will be released but instead use their own opinions and mold them to resemble a "Breaking News" story?

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Or doesn't pay attention to media/social media.

I think he had his moment of doing so when it was widely being reported that the Bills had already moved on and benching him was a sign they'd lost confidence, but hopefully he learned his lesson when the media went nuts about how the Bills press release meant Taylor had had the surgery without consulting the Bills and without their approval and on and on and he knows that's total BS

A solid, not top 15 QB whose been in league 6 years and probably isn't getting much better than he already is. 2 year, $25m contract fully guaranteed is fair in my opinion for Tyrod.

the only guy in the nfl like that last year was fitzpatrick. so the guy you're describing doesn't exist. though i would like to give tyrod that 2 year 25 mil guaranteed deal and have mentioned it aroundhere a few times.

The problem isn't Taylor's cap hit next year, which is very moderate for a quarterback and would not preclude our drafting and signing a first-round pick or a vet FA, depending upon what else we want to do.

The problem is the large option bonus and the guaranteed 2018 salary, which makes signing him this year essentially a 2-3 year committment.

A solid, not top 15 QB whose been in league 6 years and probably isn't getting much better than he already is. 2 year, $25m contract fully guaranteed is fair in my opinion for Tyrod.

I don't think Tyrod signs for that without checking out FA