Tim Graham article -T Pegs considers dysfunction an insult

Reed83HOF

I could go on. Seriously. I'll start here if you want to continue this:

Look, I don't want to make a federal case out of this. If it was just the Rex thing, I'd say, who cares, move one. But the repeated "none of your business" answers to basic questions - which appear on the page to have been stated with contempt - suggest a guy who isn't very good with the media. I mean, isn't this obvious? It's been one of the criticisms of him for a while. I know a lot of people here don't care about the media, and I do agree that all these things go away if his franchises are competent. But they're not, and sounding tone-deaf doesn't help matters in the short term.

Btw, Spanos has some bigger issues to deal with now, doncha think? :rolleyes:

Incidentally: http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/news/2001/0107/1001185.html

The exchanges also illustrate the second rate stature of TBN. Maybe some of their scribes need a journalistic refresher that if they don't get a satisfactory answer to a dysfunction question, they're not going to get a better answer by asking the owner again directly if there's dysfunction in his organization. Smart journalists can get the answers they need by properly framing the questions. TBN just wanted to badger their point without any indication that they wanted to really dig for a good answer.

Pegula's spot on WGR was a perfectly fine appearance by the owner to say nothing new of substance.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The exchanges also illustrate the second rate stature of TBN. Maybe some of their scribes need a journalistic refresher that if they don't get a satisfactory answer to a dysfunction question, they're not going to get a better answer by asking the owner again directly if there's dysfunction in his organization. Smart journalists can get the answers they need by properly framing the questions. TBN just wanted to badger their point without any indication that they wanted to really dig for a good answer.

Pegula's spot on WGR was a perfectly fine appearance by the owner to say nothing new of substance.

Maybe because he was being handled by such a "smart 'journalist' " as....John Murphy.

In what language does this translate into "none of your business"? Note "scattered".

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2012/12/31/3822134/andy-reid-fired-jeff-lurie-says-decision-making-became-scattered

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120427/printable/jeffrey-lurie-discusses-andy-reid-firing-eagles-search

Also, look at the other links, particularly the first one (espn).

Keep standing there with your hand out waiting for what you feel you deserve.

You're bitching about things you either can't or refuse to understand. For all the numerous problems the Bills have, this interview isn't one of them.

Your expectations of this interview and the previous press conference seem to speak volumes about your grasp of this situation though.

I think Graham definitely asked the right questions, but I'm not going to argue with about the tone/framing of them. It didn't help matters. Haven't listened to the GR interview.

Keep standing there with your hand out waiting for what you feel you deserve.

You're bitching about things you either can't or refuse to understand. For all the numerous problems the Bills have, this interview isn't one of them.

Your expectations of this interview and the previous press conference seem to speak volumes about your grasp of this situation though.

Insults generally don't make a debate/argument more fruitful or more interesting. They are counterproductive. I do think you should address the links I included given your stated claims about both owners in general and Lurie in particular.

Insults generally don't make a debate/argument more fruitful or more interesting. They are counterproductive. I do think you should address the links I included given your stated claims about both owners in general and Lurie in particular.

I watched your video, and read a couple of your links. Nothing that was said was anymore revealing than what Terry said about why the coach was fired.

After the first couple links were complete wastes of time, I have no further desire to indulge your ignorance. You want to remain ignorant, that's your choice.

Maybe because he was being handled by such a "smart 'journalist' " as....John Murphy.

Point was that Pegula gave the expected non-answer answers, instead of stonewalling Murphy. But he did provide a few details about the organization and offered a few parallels to oil drilling operation. Didn't learn much new, but also didn't sound like a total dufus, which TBN likes to portray

I watched your video, and read a couple of your links. Nothing that was said was anymore revealing than what Terry said about why the coach was fired.

After the first couple links were complete wastes of time, I have no further desire to indulge your ignorance. You want to remain ignorant, that's your choice.

Again, insults aren't a productive way to debate. They're one of those things that lessen the overall quality of what is in fact a good board. If that's how you want to debate, I'm out. You win, I guess.

While I agree that Berchtold and the rest of the PR department could be a little more anticipatory in certain matters, I don't hold them entirely to blame for the "dysfunctional" perceptions. I think Whaley tries to be too nice because he has total disdain for a few members of the media and for good reason. I think he'd rather tell them to phuck off vs. couching his answers. Instead, he should just do a Belichick and let one or two word answers or NO answers suffice.

Media is not "owed" explanations.

Fans are not "owed" explanations.

Belichick and some other GMs understand that. Whaley, in trying too hard not to be offensive (because he IS pissed off) opens things up for far too much speculation and lets the media control the narrative. A narrative they have little understanding of to begin with. That lack of insight and understanding was prevalent in Tim Graham's interview with the Pegulas who did a great job in politely telling him to go pound sand.

interesting post and thinking K !

Again, insults aren't a productive way to debate. They're one of those things that lessen the overall quality of what is in fact a good board. If that's how you want to debate, I'm out. You win, I guess.

That's a legitimate take and as you know, you are one of my favorite posters here, and I respect your takes immensely.

I would not agree though. This place used to be great. And one of the very best elements was that there were a lot of very knowledgeable posters, and there were great arguments and one of its best qualities under that were the insults. There was a lot of comedy gold and you had to be tough to endure and defend your stances with solid reasoning. It was great entertainment.

A lot of that has been lost. Now it's a lot like TBN. There is so much negativity, and people like to just B word so much that the insults are no longer all that fun. It's just a bitchfest, and people don't have as many great takes or even great insults as it did before. Insults are fine, even if they are caustic, if it is not just to complain.

Terry Pegula, you are hardly a man and disgust me. You own 2 major pro sports teams and have the final say in all major decisions. You seem to be highly involved, hands on owners. At least be man enough to step up to the plate and give the fans who pay you and you're ****ty teams some insight/answers into what the hell is going on and why decisions have been made the way they have. Be accountable. Are you that senile into how you are being perceived in the media or just a entitled dick bag who can't take being criticized? Continue to hide in Florida while pulling the strings from a far and making yourself available for one handpicked interview per year where you do not discuss or answer anything when you're the one making final decisions. You cannot have it both ways Pegs.

We are in great hands folks. We have Terry "I will not discuss that" and Doug "I wasn't privy"

I will not be renewing my season tickets if this is how the owner carries himself. 20+ year holder

We deserve better as fans

I appreciate you giving your seats up. Being a 20+ year holder they must be pretty good and I will enjoy sitting in them.

That's a legitimate take and as you know, you are one of my favorite posters here, and I respect your takes immensely.

I would not agree though. This place used to be great. And one of the very best elements was that there were a lot of very knowledgeable posters, and there were great arguments and one of its best qualities under that were the insults. There was a lot of comedy gold and you had to be tough to endure and defend your stances with solid reasoning. It was great entertainment.

A lot of that has been lost. Now it's a lot like TBN. There is so much negativity, and people like to just B word so much that the insults are no longer all that fun. It's just a bitchfest, and people don't have as many great takes or even great insults as it did before. Insults are fine, even if they are caustic, if it is not just to complain.

well. your and Idiot then.

Once Doug gives answers like this at press conferences, I'll compare him with BB. This is from a BB press conference a couple of years ago: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/09/football_nerd_alert_bill_belichick_explains_history_of_using .

well i dont think we will ever see that. Doug is a sensitive man.

But seems like Sean might be able to yin that yang !

Fair points!

One area where my mind has changed a little bit recently is my view of TBN. I used to think that criticism of that outlet was just mindless carping about the media (admittedly, a phenomenon that drives me nuts), but it does seem to be the case that the paper has jumped the shark with its relentless negativity. The paper would be a lot better off if it had a stats-geek sort of writer (like, say, Tyler Kepner of the NYT on baseball) in place of Vic C. Skurski has a little of that in him, but not enough and he appears to be overly influenced by his colleagues' knee-jerk negativity. You want reporters/analysts with strong takes, but we're in an era where a vocal segment of the fan base is increasingly hyper-informed and where people like Nate Silver are hugely influential. A bit more 538 and a bit less orating from a soapbox and less game-of-thrones style stories about infighting would greatly improve their coverage. Graham tried with that draft pick retention story, and while I admired the effort and in fact learned something, the conclusions he drew were correlational and not convincing. I do think a more convincing case could have been made, but it would have required more effort and more caveats.

Edited by dave mcbride

The casualty of the historic futility of this organization is optimism.

The Bills have truly earned 100% of the scorn and pessimism from fans and media.

If this were a proven well managed franchise we'd be able to overlook the lack of reason for optimism with moves like hiring Sean McDermott.

McDermott is just another underwhelming HC candidate/hire taking over a tough job with everything to prove and no reason to believe he can do it.

His first hire is retaining a special teams coach who has without question PROVEN that he is not going to make a difference.

To come out and talk about the influence of John Harbaugh and Dave Toub and then retain a proven failure like Crossman is concerning wrt his ability to bring in good coaches.