McDermott's Coaching Staff has its First Hire; Juan Castillo

Castillos positions

As player:

San Antonio Gunslingers (1984-1985)

As coach:

Texas A&M UniversityKingsville (1982-1985)

(Defensive line/linebackers coach)

Kingsville High School (1986-1989)

(Linebackers coach/defensive coordinator)

Texas A&M UniversityKingsville (1990-1994)

(Offensive line coach)

Philadelphia Eagles (1995-1996)

(Offensive assistant)

Philadelphia Eagles (1997)

(Tight ends coach)

Philadelphia Eagles (1998-2010)

(Offensive line coach)

Philadelphia Eagles (2011-2012)

(Defensive coordinator)

Baltimore Ravens (2013)

(Run game coordinator)

Baltimore Ravens (2014-present)

(Offensive line coach)

I do like he has worked both sides of the Ball.

He was an absolute disaster as DC in Philadelphia. OL Coach is his strength and he's very good at that.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned this in another thread, but I suspect that this because they have lined up Childress or Nagy to hire but they can't do it officially as long as the Chiefs are in contention.

Reid has been very supportive of guys under his tree moving around, and all of them share the same pedigree. Otherwise I have no idea why you pick the O line coach before the OC.

I'd be surprised if McDermott doesn't want to at least interview one of them. It will be interesting to see what Reid does. As noted, he's pretty good about letting his assistants move around. But in a situation like this with "co-offensive coordinators" who do you let go? The young, untested guy with a possible long career ahead of him (Nagy) or the 60 year old with a wealth of experience (Childress)

Edited by JM57

It's something beyond the obvious and it could come to fruition with one of them having an opportunity to run his own show.

Yeah. I imagine the co-Offensive Coordinator thing is a little strange, and Andy sticks with the playcalling for the most part so I can see them trying to step out of his shadow.

Yeah. I imagine the co-Offensive Coordinator thing is a little strange, and Andy sticks with the playcalling for the most part so I can see them trying to step out of his shadow.

Childress, IIRC, already has familiarity with McDermott from the Philly days under Reid. :thumbsup:

I mentioned this in another thread, but I suspect that this because they have lined up Childress or Nagy to hire but they can't do it officially as long as the Chiefs are in contention.

Reid has been very supportive of guys under his tree moving around, and all of them share the same pedigree. Otherwise I have no idea why you pick the O line coach before the OC.

i also think it is an assistant currently coaching in the playoffs

Gotta admit i know nothing about Castillo. Anyone?

only thing I know about Castillo is he is not better than what we already have in Cromer. We don't need a run game coordinator we are ready are the two time rushing champion .... Cromer is already here WTF

He was an absolute disaster as DC in Philadelphia. OL Coach is his strength and he's very good at that.

we have someone better on staff in Cromer .... We need defensive help not run game help

Edited by liverpoolkev

Actually we have no one on the staff named Cromer!! But that's besides the point.

The fact that so little has been said officially about the OC and we already hired one position coach Castillo without an OC in place makes me feel it's highly likely the OC is already known and is one one of the teams playing this week so can't yet be announced. . Based on a number of comments made likey is one of the two in KC.

we have someone better on staff in Cromer ....

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

This gives me more hope than anything else I've read in a while. The Man has a Plan, we are NOT lost and without options. (This is a huge hire and critical to get right!)

This has to be correct. There's no other explanation. We wont know officially until KC loses, which I hope they dont, but they would never hire a line coach without input from the OC.

Nagy then?

I am so sarcasm blind, I have no idea what to make of that :doh:

I thought it was a compliment. I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right, since the OL guy has to work extremely closely and well with the OC, why would you hire the OL guy first unless you're pretty confident you know who you're getting for OC and that's who he wants for OL?