Sean McDermott's Introductory Presser on 1/13/17 at 2 PM ET

McDermott comes across pretty well (especially for a guy who is not that used to this setting etc.).

He seems earnest, straight forward, and a hard worker.

Things I saw that I liked:

-I liked how he addressed reporters by name and queried their name if he wasn't sure, then used it. That's important.

-I liked how he refocused the questions to suit what he wanted to say. If there was something he didn't really want to address, he picked a part of the question and answered that. If there was a long rambling series of statements disguised as a question, he forced the reporter to focus: "I'm not sure what the question is?"

-He appears very straightforward, but see above - while appearing earnest and straightforward, he was in charge of what information he provided

-I liked how he said accountability started with him, because if he's not accountable the whole thing breaks down. Spot on!

-I liked how he stressed he wanted coaches who were good people and would care about the players

-Doug Whaley sat there as though he'd been mineralized (and perhaps taken to the woodshed thus nursing painful seat) and I felt as though the "vibe" from McDermott was "It's OK, Doug, I've got your back, we're in this together", example the way he added on at the end of Sullivan's question for Doug - very smoothly, good timing

Things I saw that I didn't like:

-said he's retained Danny Crossman. Gaaaaaaaaaaaah!

-I kind of didn't like his answer to the "face of the franchise" question about whether he would be involved in ticket sales or whatever else it was that would asked. He said he understood that part and it all has to work together, but he didn't say "no, I'm here to coach and that's a full time job". I surely hope the first year HC is just expected to coach and not do PR appearances and shows and promotional events and all that.

-not much else, but it's early days.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, not one bit. Einstein wasn't much of a public speaker. Being able to entertain people with your repartee is not the only sign of intelligence. Oh, and I think Terry has about $5B points of IQ. What do you have?

Rich people are all smart. Poor people are all stupid. Your world is delightful.

lol, might be

That or the sister we never heard of

-I liked how he addressed reporters by name and queried their name if he wasn't sure, then used it. That's important.

-I liked how he refocused the questions to suit what he wanted to say. If there was something he didn't really want to address, he picked a part of the question and answered that. If there was a long rambling series of statements disguised as a question, he forced the reporter to focus: "I'm not sure what the question is?"

-He appears very straightforward, but see above - while appearing earnest and straightforward, he was in charge of what information he provided

-I liked how he said accountability started with him, because if he's not accountable the whole thing breaks down. Spot on!

-I liked how he stressed he wanted coaches who were good people and would care about the players

-Doug Whaley sat there as though he'd been mineralized (and perhaps taken to the woodshed thus nursing painful seat) and I felt as though the "vibe" from McDermott was "It's OK, Doug, I've got your back, we're in this together", example the way he added on at the end of Sullivan's question for Doug - very smoothly, good timing

-I kind of didn't like his answer to the "face of the franchise" question about whether he would be involved in ticket sales or whatever else it was that would asked. He said he understood that part and it all has to work together, but he didn't say "no, I'm here to coach and that's a full time job". I surely hope the first year HC is just expected to coach and not do PR appearances and shows and promotional events and all that.

I think his answer to the "Face" question hints at the Pegs' plan for pressers: They and DW won't be doing them now that McD is in the house.

This guy is very easy to read.

Disciplined, probably slightly obsessive-compulsive. Detail oriented. Routine oriented. Focused. Has an idea on how to do everything and doesn't deviate from that. Hard worker. Probably a bit stubborn and inclined to do things his way only. Intense, much more than the average person.

People with these skills often end up doing things like flying fighter planes, becoming astronauts, Olympic champions, successful entrepreneurs, etc.

He seems to have a lot of good qualities for success in general. We'll see if it translates to head coaching in the NFL.

He definitely does not have that stench of detritus on him like most Bills coaching hires in the last 15 years or so.

Anxious to see how he gets along with Dareus. I see Dareus losing that battle.

Just one of the nuggets to spy. He wins Dareus and or Gilmore? I will bow down and will not mind one bit

(Tyrod Taylor) Don't like that. If he's in the building and meeting the new coach - that says he isn't completely out the door.

Taylor should not be completely out the door at this point. If nothing else, as I understand it, guys who are injured and rehabbing an injury are entitled to use the training facilities and to care from the training staff if they so choose. The team is also entitled to schedule medical checks and follow-up the external medical care injured players are receiving, since they have a stake in the outcome (and they pay for it).

Whaley and Pegula have both said they would evaluate the roster with the new HC. For some reason, the media seem to have decided that anonymous sources are more credible than what the owner and GM say, but maybe life would just be simpler if the media took them at their word until proven otherwise.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

The "face of the franchise" thing was a no win situation in the eyes of the media.

He will be involved with marketing = He's not focusing on football

He wont be involved with marketing = He's not really interested in helping the team in every way possible.

Also as others have said, Crossman's year last year was an off year. His previous years were pretty good.

Edited by The Wiz

I watched on facebook. I like the guy. No nonsense. Instantly gives off a vibe that he won't take crap from anybody. Spoke slowly, quietly and clearly.

sounded like he took control of the room, more or less :beer:

I also like that he said he's not a 4-5 or 5-4 guy. He believes in fitting the scheme to the players, not the players to the scheme. :thumbsup:

they all say that, dont undress yet

I've heard him speak in a wide variety of contexts which would not be described as traditional "public speaking" type scenarios, even if the speaking was public.

I'm talking about a sustained, casual, 20 minute chat with Schopp and the Bulldog (on air admittedly) in an abandoned HSBC Arena or whatever they are calling it now. That's not what is meant by "public speaking."

An ability to orally express yourself is related to your ability to think, as is ability to write. I have never known a bright person who couldn't express himself/herself clearly in words rather verbal or written.

no it is not. it is that simple. it is a form of intelligence, but there are multiple forms of intelligence. one's ability to speak in front of a group, or on radio, or tv, does not adequately measure one's depth or intelligence. you might as well say all new anchors are geniuses. christ, we know that's not true.

it means nothing. i imagine he has a extremely high IQ to build what he built. i work with lot's of business owners, and some of them just don't feel comfortable in a room or having an audience larger than 5 people. public speaking and intelligence have no correlation. i have met some great public speakers that are nothing more than mouth pieces with little depth or substance.

There is some sort of misconception around here that anyone with a lot of money is fabulously intelligent.

As someone who has been around a lot of very wealthy people in a professional context for a long time, I can assure you that is often not the case.

In my experience, I would say the qualities universally shared among people like Pegula are an unusual willingness to take risk, unwavering persistence, and desire to work really hard. Raw intelligence often doesn't enter into it, nor need it, though sometimes it does, of course.

Taylor should not be completely out the door at this point. If nothing else, as I understand it, guys who are injured and rehabbing an injury are entitled to use the training facilities and to care from the training staff if they so choose. The team is also entitled to schedule medical checks and follow-up the external medical care injured players are receiving, since they have a stake in the outcome (and they pay for it).

Whaley and Pegula have both said they would evaluate the roster with the new HC. For some reason, the media seem to have decided that anonymous sources are more credible than what the owner and GM say, but maybe life would just be simpler if the media took them at their word until proven otherwise.

On GR, McDermott said one of the first things he is going to do, starting today, is to reach out to all of the players and call them individually. In the press conference he said he spoke to Tyrod on the phone yesterday. There is virtually no chance that Tyrod called him, versus him calling Tyrod. That, to me, is a very clear indication he is very open to having TT back.

I've heard him speak in a wide variety of contexts which would not be described as traditional "public speaking" type scenarios, even if the speaking was public.

I'm talking about a sustained, casual, 20 minute chat with Schopp and the Bulldog (on air admittedly) in an abandoned HSBC Arena or whatever they are calling it now. That's not what is meant by "public speaking."

An ability to orally express yourself is related to your ability to think, as is ability to write. I have never known a bright person who couldn't express himself/herself clearly in words rather verbal or written.

Jesus Christ dude...he's a petroleum engineer that made billions!!! He's not someone who's daddy gave him a head start. He's someone that literally made his own fortune by excelling....

He's not an actor. He's not an athlete. He's someone who made billions off being intelligent.

Edited by Billschinatown

There is some sort of misconception around here that anyone with a lot of money is fabulously intelligent.

As someone who has been around a lot of very wealthy people in a professional context for a long time, I can assure you that is often not the case.

In my experience, I would say the qualities universally shared among people like Pegula are an unusual willingness to take risk, unwavering persistence, and desire to work really hard. Raw intelligence often doesn't enter into it, nor need it, though sometimes it does, of course.

I know a LOT of people, including myself, who are extremely comfortable speaking articulately in meetings and with people they are comfortable with, and at the same time, extremely uncomfortable speaking in front of a camera. Zero to do with intelligence.

On GR, McDermott said one of the first things he is going to do, starting today, is to reach out to all of the players and call them individually. In the press conference he said he spoke to Tyrod on the phone yesterday. There is virtually no chance that Tyrod called him, versus him calling Tyrod. That, to me, is a very clear indication he is very open to having TT back.

1-13: SEAN MCDERMOTT ON THE JOHN MURPHY SHOW (7:47)

I know a LOT of people, including myself, who are extremely comfortable speaking articulately in meetings and with people they are comfortable with, and at the same time, extremely uncomfortable speaking in front of a camera. Zero to do with intelligence.

Well, I know a LOT of people.

Really, I do. That's all I wanted to say.

Guess you haven't meant many people. That's totally crazy. You must be an elitist who thinks he speaks and writes well. There are people who come from nothing and have not been exposed to speaking and writing training like you, but are in fact very intelligent. You live in a vacuum.

Edited by horned dogs