Kyle Posey: Debunking the Tyrod Taylor Myth

YoloinOhio

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod is 27 years old. He hasn't even started two full seasons worth of games yet (he's at 29GS). Through the first 29 games, what has Tyrod been comparable to: RG3's rookie of the year season. Are we seriously complaining about that? When RG3 won rookie of the year and was the talk of the town, you're telling me we don't like that kind of production from our QB b/c he's 27 and not 23 or 22? My question is, who cares?

So worst case scenario, Tyrod's floor is RG3's rookie of the year season (apporoximately), and lets say his ceiling is slightly better (which it can be with a healthy Sammy, more starts in the NFL, and consistency with the coaching staff), is that a bad thing at 28 yrs old next year?

I don't understand your point at all. His floor is RGIII's rookie season? How did that work out for RGIII?

I'd love for Tyrod to be able to throw the ball like Brady. He can't. So is the glass half full or half empty?

Tyrod contributed more to the running game than his 500 or whatever yards rushing. By being a dynamic running threat himself, teams had to defend our rushing attack differently. We led the league in both rushing yards and rushing yards per attempt. Tyrod was part of the reason why. Shady would have had a lesser year if an old school statue of a QB had been handing off to him.

Did the extra yards we gained on the ground because of Tyrod strengths offset the yards in the air we lost because of Tyrod's weaknesses? I don't know. It's hard to quantify.

But when you see a team score as many points as the Bills did with the Lynn/Tyrod duo, something is clearly going right. I would hate to jettison that until we know we have something better.

It takes a special kind of stupid to want to move on from Taylor considering:

- there's no immediate upgrade in FA, let alone one that would come here

- we're not drafting a blue-chipper in round one

- he's on a cheap deal (relatively-speaking for QBs) for the next 3 years

- we don't have someone waiting in the wings to take over

Only in Buffalo could you spend two years developing a QB who's never started a game until he got here, then leads the team to a top 10 offense with practice squad nobodies beyond WR1 for most of the season, then want to let him go because you think he's not good enough. I mean, if you were in New England, or Indianapolis, or Green Bay and you were used to HoF quarterbacking, then I could see how maybe that might make some sense, even if it would still be wrong. But Buffalo??

Honestly, some of you deserve this dogshizz franchise.

I agree with pretty much all of this.....

What we should be concentrating on is this underperforming defense and the hope that McDermott actually gets it turned around

Roman expanded the Offense. Asked Taylor to do it and it cost Roman his job.

Yeah but once Roman was gone the offense became a top 10 in scoring with the same QB and the replacement OC went on to interview for NFL HC jobs.

Another less than convincing "Majorcrusader" argument.....

It takes a special kind of stupid to want to move on from Taylor considering:

- there's no immediate upgrade in FA, let alone one that would come here

- we're not drafting a blue-chipper in round one

- he's on a cheap deal (relatively-speaking for QBs) for the next 3 years

- we don't have someone waiting in the wings to take over

Only in Buffalo could you spend two years developing a QB who's never started a game until he got here, then leads the team to a top 10 offense with practice squad nobodies beyond WR1 for most of the season, then want to let him go because you think he's not good enough. I mean, if you were in New England, or Indianapolis, or Green Bay and you were used to HoF quarterbacking, then I could see how maybe that might make some sense, even if it would still be wrong. But Buffalo??

Honestly, some of you deserve this dogshizz franchise.

Yes lets Settle your right people do deserve what they get every year with the Settle mentality

I don't understand your point at all. His floor is RGIII's rookie season? How did that work out for RGIII?

my logic is that RG3's fall from graces does not correlate to TT. We know why RGIII shat the bed ultimately. TT doesn't get injured as often and TT doesn't fumble. TT isn't a primadonna.

Edited by bobobonators

I'd love for Tyrod to be able to throw the ball like Brady. He can't. So is the glass half full or half empty?

Tyrod contributed more to the running game than his 500 or whatever yards rushing. By being a dynamic running threat himself, teams had to defend our rushing attack differently. We led the league in both rushing yards and rushing yards per attempt. Tyrod was part of the reason why. Shady would have had a lesser year if an old school statue of a QB had been handing off to him.

Did the extra yards we gained on the ground because of Tyrod strengths offset the yards in the air we lost because of Tyrod's weaknesses? I don't know. It's hard to quantify.

But when you see a team score as many points as the Bills did with the Lynn/Tyrod duo, something is clearly going right. I would hate to jettison that until we know we have something better.

I would Love for Tyrod to throw like Brady. Heck I would be happy for him to throw like Wintson Mariotta Wentz any QB that can get the ball out on time consistently

There's no myth to debunk.

Tyrod doesn't see the field and even when he does find a man wide open, he often can't get him the ball.

I am thinking of a bomb he threw to Woods early in the season down the left side of the field. Wide, wide open...Woods totally extended in desperation to try and catch up to the overthrown ball...face planted into the turf....

Easy TD turned into an incompletion b/c Tyrod's accuracy is crap.

And that's the least of his many issues.

If you want to assess Tyrod's game, watch TYROD!

Not anyone else, and not the coaches.

Right, but i see other QBs do the same things. I see wentz sailing passes out of bounds, i see rodgers throw an out route into the dirt, i see Eli throwing a screen at his backs feet.

Both the 1st and 2nd overall picks struggled and in the end hurt their teams this year. That alone concerns me when we talk about replacing him wiht a rookie or journeyman.

I get that people want a future and whatnot - but are we sacrificing the present to do it?

Edited by dneveu

Yeah but once Roman was gone the offense became a top 10 in scoring with the same QB and the replacement OC went on to interview for NFL HC jobs.

Another less than convincing "Majorcrusader" argument.....

Again sweet Unit Stats to cover an individual play flaw. Cool

Well when you are trying to develop (you know people say just needs reps) a QB into a balanced QB you have to call um big boy passing plays

I think you forgot who our OC and offensive personnel were to start the year. Roman's offense has never been about passing plays period, let alone 'um big boy passing plays'. His route concepts and combinations are consistently slow developing and poorly timed. He also has a history of being more focused on passing outside the numbers than any mysterious OC you are imagining we had.

Right, but i see other QBs do the same things. I see wentz sailing passes out of bounds, i see rodgers throw an out route into the dirt, i see Eli throwing a screen at his backs feet.

Both the 1st and 2nd overall picks struggled and in the end hurt their teams this year. That alone concerns me when we talk about replacing him wiht a rookie or journeyman.

But Consistenly how are they. See that is the key they all have bad plays, bad games. But overall they are doing what good QB traits are. Ball out on time, Ball Accurate, reading an entire defense, changing play at line, hanging in the pocket

Yes lets Settle your right people do deserve what they get every year with the Settle mentality

That's a strawman argument. When people say "let's keep TT", I don't really think it means "We have found our franchise QB in TT. Look no more." You see the difference? There's nothing wrong with keeping TT and drafting a QBs within the next 2 drafts (or however long it takes). Then let there be a QB competition until one firmly shows us the goods.

I think you forgot who our OC and offensive personnel were to start the year. Roman's offense has never been about passing plays period, let alone 'um big boy passing plays'. His route concepts and combinations are consistently slow developing and poorly timed. He also has a history of being more focused on passing outside the numbers than any mysterious OC you are imagining we had.

After week two - Where did the Rub Routes go? (Ran alot in week 1 and two)

After week 2 - where did the slants go (ran alot last year and this year)

After week 2 - where did the option routes go

After week 2 - where did the combo routes go

See Big Boy route concepts.

Not run 8 yards and turn to QB

It's weird that the same people chime in every time Tyrod is mentioned. They chime in to say "I told you so" when something negative is written and "he's wrong" when something positive is written. The reality is that Tyrod moved the offense and put up a lot of points. He did it with a poor receiving core. His game has holes and he misses throws. He is a middle of the league QB. It is foolish to use old school stats (like passing yards) as a measure of his impact. He doesn't play a traditional style of QB. He misses some throws that most QBs make but he makes some plays that no other QB makes.

Was the Bills offense good in 2016? The advanced statistics would say that they were. They weren't there DESPITE the QB play. Coaching, QB, OL, play calling, running game, etc... ALL played a role. You cant just selectively choose the reasons that the results happened while selectively excusing what doesn't fit the narrative. All of these things factored into the result. If you believe that replacing him with someone else would improve those results that's a different argument. I for one, do not see the Bills as a top 7 scoring team with someone (other than Romo) under center in 2017.

That wasn't quite true for Steve Young - He played in USFL and was not successful in TB in his first NFL stint. Now, nobody was successful in TB back then, but he was peddled to SF where he became a star.

In his 19 games in TB he threw 11 TDs and 21 INTs and completed under 54% of his passes. I imagine that the much better surrounding cast in SF accounts for a lot of his "improvement" vs what he accomplished in Tampa.

And coaching under Bill Walsh. Many people, including myself, think that Steve Young is the best QB of all time.

IMO that is college offense mentality. "Let's just do what we do well, and the game will sort itself out." There are plenty of times this year when we needed to throw the ball in important v situations to get an initial 1st down or to extend drives to eat clock and they couldn't do it.

Also, this decision is not made in a vacuum. He is owed mid level starter money guaranteed for the next two years. If was being paid even on a year to year basis, I probably would lean towards keeping him. But the contract is designed to either commit to him as a starter for 2 years or move on.

We can get better production from QB position for less money. It's really that simple.