1-12: Ian Rapoport Talks Sean McDermott on WGR

1-12: NFL NETWORK'S IAN RAPOPORT ON WGR (9:21)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) joins Howard and Jeremy right now on WGR! Tune in:

Rapoport - Carolina's defense has been sound, McDermott always got the best out of their players #Bills

Rapoport - I don't have a firm answer on who McDermott's offensive coordinator will be. I know he wants Al Holcomb to be his DC #Bills

Rapoport: alot of teams in on Mike McCoy. he will have plenty of options

Rapoport - Not ruling out Tyrod Taylor being #Bills QB, don't know who their QB will be. The offense is still good

Rapoport - I think it will be hard for Anthony Lynn to get a coaching job this year. Sounds like he will be an OC this year. #Bills

Rapoport - most people think Tyrod is a QB you can win with. He is what he is. Similar to Alex Smith and will not turn the ball over #Bills

Rapoport - people also think Tyrod is a top-15 QB in the league #Bills

I think the Alex Smith comparison is an apt one. Tyrod is never going to be the guy who will consistently put the entire team on his back. But there are stretches where he elevates the play of those around him and rarely makes the big mistake that kills you.

When Smith was paired with a strong D and run game in San Fran they were serious contenders, and he has had serious runs with Andy Reid in KC.

I heard the interview, and then once it was over they went on to rip on Tyrod about him being a top 15QB. Saying yeh, maybe 15th out of the 15. Lol. Ok but hes still top 15. I really didnt get the slant there other than to just say hes not as good as Brees and Brady. Yes we get that. Everyone gets that. Everyone. Thats why nobody said hes a top 5 QB. A top 3 QB. Or a future hall of famer.

Top 15 to me just means that people view him as being better than about half the QBs in the NFL. Nothing more. Its more of a broad grouping than an actual literal ranking imo.

Edited by bobobonators

I think the Alex Smith comparison is an apt one. Tyrod is never going to be the guy who will consistently put the entire team on his back. But there are stretches where he elevates the play of those around him and rarely makes the big mistake that kills you.

When Smith was paired with a strong D and run game in San Fran they were serious contenders, and he has had serious runs with Andy Reid in KC.

ive seen smith make those plays in the big moments a few more times than TT but i suppose hes had a lot more opportunities. it might be some confirmation bias on my part, or just dumb luck on theirs but it feels like smith has a bit more of a knack for winning the winnable games. also think hes a bit more complete.

but yea, its not a terrible comparable.

Edited by NoSaint

ive seen smith make those plays in the big moments a few more times than TT but i suppose hes had a lot more opportunities. it might be some confirmation bias on my part, or just dumb luck on theirs but it feels like smith has a bit more of a knack for winning the winnable games. also think hes a bit more complete.

I above seen it once ever. Alex Smith is a Tyrod. Edited by Beef Jerky

ive seen smith make those plays in the big moments a few more times than TT but i suppose hes had a lot more opportunities. it might be some confirmation bias on my part, or just dumb luck on theirs but it feels like smith has a bit more of a knack for winning the winnable games.

With a lot of help from KC's D/ST.

Tyrod is far more athletic than Smith and can make the "Wow!" plays Smith can't(that's not saying Smith isn't athletic, he is, but Tyrod is on another level---almost Vick like), but Smith is far more consistent than Tyrod and wins a LOT of games...Chiefs have one of the best records in the NFL during the regular season with Smith at QB over the past 3-4 years

Edited by matter2003

It's tough to compare because the only time Smith has been successful as a whole is with a stud Defense. In SF and now KC they Defense is very very good. Tyrod has had two year with bottom 5-10 Defenses or his record would certainly look much better.

I think that Smith is better, or has become better, in his accuracy and at hitting the shorter throws over the middle. Smith is said to be 6'4", Taylor is listed at 6'1" but people who have met him IRL say "maybe if he sleeps on a board and wears lift shoes".

Tyrod is far more athletic than Smith and can make the "Wow!" plays Smith can't(that's not saying Smith isn't athletic, he is, but Tyrod is on another level---almost Vick like), but Smith is far more consistent than Tyrod and wins a LOT of games...Chiefs have one of the best records in the NFL during the regular season with Smith at QB over the past 3-4 years

These are both very good points. It is probably worth noting that Smith, who once made a list of "biggest draft busts of all time", took something like 4 years of playing to show symptoms of becoming an NFL QB and 6 years to start looking consistent and fully servicable.

I think that Smith is better, or has become better, in his accuracy and at hitting the shorter throws over the middle. Smith is said to be 6'4", Taylor is listed at 6'1" but people who have met him IRL say "maybe if he sleeps on a board and wears lift shoes".

These are both very good points. It is probably worth noting that Smith, who once made a list of "biggest draft busts of all time", took something like 4 years of playing to show symptoms of becoming an NFL QB and 6 years to start looking consistent and fully servicable.

I think he's a better QB now than when he came to KC, he's continued to improve whereas Taylor leveled off (at best) from year 1 to 2. When I watch them I think Smith is better, not vastly better, but appreciably.

Someone on PFF actually charted Taylor's throws this year. By zone, his two highest QB ratings were over the middle between 10-19, and 0-9 respectively

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-bills-should-build-around-tyrod-taylor-not-show-him-the-door/

I like the premise: get Mike Williams or Juju at 10. Fix the defense. Keep up the run game.

The Alex Smith comparison is a good one. I thought about starting a thread to state that case but there has been too much higher profile nonsense going on with which to compete. It's the best argument for why keeping Tyrod makes sense.

Near as I can tell there is nothing about Rex's firing or the new hire process that is inconsistent with what we were told previously about the power structure or the events as they took place.

Someone on PFF actually charted Taylor's throws this year. By zone, his two highest QB ratings were over the middle between 10-19, and 0-9 respectively

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-bills-should-build-around-tyrod-taylor-not-show-him-the-door/

I like the premise: get Mike Williams or Juju at 10. Fix the defense. Keep up the run game.

I agree on the TT - Smith comparisons. Others have pointed out KC's defense and it's obvious we need dramatic improvements defensively to improve as a team. You are on the right track with Williams, but a largely underrated point when comparing us to the Chiefs is the lack of difference makers at the skill positions. We have Shady and Sammy just like they have Charles and Maclin, but behind those two they have Kelce, Hill, Ware, West and Conley. IMO that group leaves Clay / Gillislee / Woods etc well in the dust.

The Alex Smith comparison is a good one. I thought about starting a thread to state that case but there has been too much higher profile nonsense going on with which to compete. It's the best argument for why keeping Tyrod makes sense.

Near as I can tell there is nothing about Rex's firing or the new hire process that is inconsistent with what we were told previously about the power structure or the events as they took place.

If TT is willing to renegotiate, I'm all for keeping him around. My biggest hang up is his contract explodes next year. My preferred path forward would be TT on a renegotiated deal with Cardale and another 3rd / 4th round developmental QB battling it out between each other behind him. Bottom line is we need more playmakers at the skill positions and in the secondary.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

My biggest hang up is his contract explodes next year.

I think everyone is misinformed.

TT cap number by year (according to Over The Cap):

2017 $15,913,334

2018 $16,780,000

2019 $17,380,000

2020 $17,630,000

2021 $17,650,000

Alex Smith:

2016 $17,800,000

2017 $16,900,000

2018 $20,600,000

Brock Osweiler:

2017 $19,000,000

2018 $21,000,000

2019 $20,000,000

Edited by AdamK

I heard the interview, and then once it was over they went on to rip on Tyrod about him being a top 15QB. Saying yeh, maybe 15th out of the 15. Lol. Ok but hes still top 15. I really didnt get the slant there other than to just say hes not as good as Brees and Brady. Yes we get that. Everyone gets that. Everyone. Thats why nobody said hes a top 5 QB. A top 3 QB. Or a future hall of famer.

Top 15 to me just means that people view him as being better than about half the QBs in the NFL. Nothing more. Its more of a broad grouping than an actual literal ranking imo.

You can win with a top 15 qb and a decent D.

My biggest hang up is his contract explodes next year.

I think everyone is misinformed.

TT cap number by year (according to Over The Cap):

2017 $15,913,334

2018 $16,780,000

2019 $17,380,000

2020 $17,630,000

2021 $17,650,000

BTW - Brock Osweiler:

2017 $19,000,000

2018 $21,000,000

2019 $20,000,000

Or, for comparisons sake, we can look at Alex Smith's last contract (cap hit-wise):

2015: $15,600,000

2016: $17,800,000

2017: $16,900,000

2018: $20,600,000

I went through their pertinent stats over the past 2 years in another thread, for comparison's sake.

A. Smith: 6988 Pass Yards, 7.29 YPA, 35 Pass TD, 15 INT, 632 Rush Yards, 7 Rush TD, 2015 Passer Rating 95.4, 2016 Passer Rating 91.2

T. Taylor: 6058 Pass Yards, 7.42 YPA, 37 Pass TD, 12 INT, 1148 Rush Yards, 10 Rush TD, 2015 Passer Rating 99.4, 2016 Passer Rating 89.6

I bolded the winner in each stat.

Smith can consistently complete the short to intermediate passes, Tyrod cannot. Tyrod throws one hell of a deep pass, Alex Smith cannot. Alex smith can read the defense, get the ball out quick, throw his receivers open, and will take care of the ball. Tyrod will take care of the ball. The only comparison is the lack of turnovers from the two. Tyrod is a more athletic version of JP Losman, nothing more.

Not retaining just about all the components of the 2016 offense, including Tyrod would be stupid.

Do that and improve the defense and ST and they will be a better team next year.

7-9 baby Play one more song ! Woooooo. Wooooooo !!!

And why don't we play the browns Rams 9ers and jags next year ?

Bring them back too

Top 15? Did Gugny's head just explode?

20th to 25th and only beats teams under .500 fwiw.

Smith can consistently complete the short to intermediate passes, Tyrod cannot. Tyrod throws one hell of a deep pass, Alex Smith cannot. Alex smith can read the defense, get the ball out quick, throw his receivers open, and will take care of the ball. Tyrod will take care of the ball. The only comparison is the lack of turnovers from the two. Tyrod is a more athletic version of JP Losman, nothing more.

Hallelujah

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Top 15? Did Gugny's head just explode?

i mean, if you put him at the bottom of that list they are essentially saying middle of the pack. I think even most critics can handle the discussion being from as high as about 15 through to low 20s depending on how you handle the "young but promising" guys that are rookies or incoming draft picks expected to start. if debating against some of the other vets that arent elite in there its as much a matter of system fit as talent too.