New jw Tweets 1/9

Reed83HOF

These tweets, coupled with Chenelly dropping hints about Pittsburgh guys, makes me wonder if Haley or Butler are in the picture

I would certainly prefer them over what's been discussed thus far....Steelers keeping churning out wins and post-season appearances and in some cases, Super Bowl(S!!!) championship(S!!!). Imagine that....multiple championships. God, if only...

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't think so. I think that TP is okay with Taylor for at least 2 years. Maybe he is okay with a 1st round QB too? I don't know why we have to be talking about what an owner is okay with or not okay with on the field?

yea, from a personal standpoint, if we pick up the option i dont make a push for qb until next year. if TT is still middle of the pack you look at grabbing a young guy and starting the 1-2 year transition/competition then. i dont go qb early in this draft it TT is here though.

i guess thats getting sidetracked from this thread though

Edited by NoSaint

I would certainly prefer them over what's been discussed thus far....Steelers keeping churning out wins and post-season appearances and in some cases, Super Bowl(S!!!) championship(S!!!). Imagine that....multiple championships. God, if only...

There is only a small bit in difference of talent on the actual football field...We have been modeling the Steelers since Donahoe came here in 2000 - are we going to finally model them right after 17 years?

I stand by my original take that the Pegula's are just giving Whaley the opportunity to knock their socks off with a candidate........not really giving him the chance to choose his own HC.

If he doesn't provide an inspiring option.........and I could be wrong but McDermott seems like just another coordinator to me........then they will hire Lynn and Whaley will have to take it and like it.

Gotta agree.

The guys who run with rumors or do single-source reporting are the ones who break a story. They're also the ones who misinform us time and time again.

JW might not be the fastest with breaking news but he gets the facts straight far more often than many others.

But these tweets are kind of weird. If he's got something to say, say it clearly. If not, why not be quiet?

I could be wrong but I think jw tweets like that when 1) he has heard something but the info but the source doesn't meet the AP standard (has to be someone directly involved, not someone who heard something from someone who...) 2) when he's writing a story, drumming up some anticipation

It was no surprise to hear conflicting stories last week about Sean McDermott’s interview with the Bills. The way it was explained to me, the Pegulas came away with a considerably higher opinion of Carolina's defensive coordinator than Whaley had. If true, it wouldn’t surprise me if Whaley poked holes in the interview in an effort to maintain control.

McDermott could be a fine head coach. Nobody knows for sure because he never has had the top job. He has sound credentials. He worked under late, great defensive coordinator Jim Johnson in Philadelphia. His defenses in Carolina were ranked in the top 10 in yards allowed for four straight seasons before slipping to 21st this year.

If the Bills wind up hiring him – again, the way it was explained to me – it would mean ownership overruled their general manager after he supposedly led the coaching search. It also would mean that ownership agreed to give McDermott the power he demanded and Whaley previously refused to relinquish. It also could bring Whaley one step closer to the door.

---

Well this is the opposite of what i anticipated.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/08/bucky-gleason-bills-search-continues-coaching-jewel/

I could be wrong but I think jw tweets like that when 1) he has heard something but the info but the source doesn't meet the AP standard (has to be someone directly involved, not someone who heard something from someone who...) 2) when he's writing a story, drumming up some anticipation

twitter is a good way to build anticipation, more clicks later

they MIGHT find their guy at 10 but statistically speaking since 1999 the QBs taken at 10 or later haven't fared so well. Guys like Daunte Culpepper, Cade McNown, Matt Leinhart, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder were all taken 10-12 or so. Only Big Ben, taken 11th in 2005 has been successful with Jay Cutler 11th in 2006 having moderate success a couple seasons.

Go back into the teens and it gets even worse. Kyle Boller at 19, Josh Freeman 17, EJ 16, Chad Pennington 18. Only Joe Flacco in 2008 at 18 has had moderate success. 20s, laughable besides Aaron Rodgers and to a much lesser extent Jason Campbell with guys like JP Loserman, Tim Tebow(ok he had the tebow factor but sucked), Rex Grossman, Brady Quinn and Johnny Manziel(ugh cleveland lol)

Heck even the very top of the draft is filled with duds, Akili Smith 3, Jamarcus Russel 1, Tim Couch 1(ugh Cle), Joey Harrington 3.

Again, to be crass and bump my own post I broke this down. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191405-drafting-a-qb-learning-from-the-past/?p=4202387

Picks 1-10 24 QB drafted, 16 successful, 67% success, roughly 2 out of 3 odds

Picks 11-20 8 QB drafted, 4 successful, 50% success, roughly 1 out of 2 odds

Picks 21-32 10 QB drafted, 3 successful, 30% success, roughly 1 out of 3 odds

This is just the odds of drafting a "servicable" QB eg one who can start and play. Overall one who becomes "The Man", a guy who can carry the team a la Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers, the odds are of course lower.

I think this is the case of #1...

It was no surprise to hear conflicting stories last week about Sean McDermott’s interview with the Bills. The way it was explained to me, the Pegulas came away with a considerably higher opinion of Carolina's defensive coordinator than Whaley had. If true, it wouldn’t surprise me if Whaley poked holes in the interview in an effort to maintain control.

McDermott could be a fine head coach. Nobody knows for sure because he never has had the top job. He has sound credentials. He worked under late, great defensive coordinator Jim Johnson in Philadelphia. His defenses in Carolina were ranked in the top 10 in yards allowed for four straight seasons before slipping to 21st this year.

If the Bills wind up hiring him – again, the way it was explained to me – it would mean ownership overruled their general manager after he supposedly led the coaching search. It also would mean that ownership agreed to give McDermott the power he demanded and Whaley previously refused to relinquish. It also could bring Whaley one step closer to the door.

---

Well this is the opposite of what i anticipated.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/08/bucky-gleason-bills-search-continues-coaching-jewel/

Let me guess. Bucky or Sully?

Teddy Bridgewater, pick 32

Derek Carr, pick 36

Mariota and Winston go 1 and 2. High quality but needed a high draft pick

Wentz and Goff go 1 and 2.

Dak Prescott goes 135.

2 out of the last 3 drafts had high quality QB prospects available far after top ten.

Again, to be crass and bump my own post I broke this down. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/191405-drafting-a-qb-learning-from-the-past/?p=4202387

Picks 1-10 24 QB drafted, 16 successful, 67% success, roughly 2 out of 3 odds

Picks 11-20 8 QB drafted, 4 successful, 50% success, roughly 1 out of 2 odds

Picks 21-32 10 QB drafted, 3 successful, 30% success, roughly 1 out of 3 odds

This is just the odds of drafting a "servicable" QB eg one who can start and play. Overall one who becomes "The Man", a guy who can carry the team a la Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers, the odds are of course lower.

It's so strange how this stuff works out. In the draft with Rogers and Alex Smith, there was a lot of debate about who might be first overall. In all honesty, Rogers' fall is at least partially attributable to the failure of Joey Harrington. The story back then was that Tedford QBs were great in college but not good in the NFL, and that he made them look better than they actually were. Those sorts of narratives are really dumb. One of the old ones that really turned out to be wrong was that Michigan QBs were guaranteed to be bad pros. That view was pervasive. It's about the individual. Good evaluators look past the myth factories surrounding coaches and programs. I'm also absolutely convinced that Derek Carr lasted until #36 because of his brother.

Edited by dave mcbride

They could just fire him, can't they?

Yes, but then they have to pay the salary in his contract. If he quits, they don't. With them having to pay Rex 15 million for sitting on his ass the next three years, they maybe trying to force Whaley to quit.

I figured it was Bucky more based off the reported conflict (something he loves to push) but didn't want to click on the article to find out.

All you had to do was highlight over the link....

Yes, but then they have to pay the salary in his contract. If he quits, they don't. With them having to pay Rex 15 million for sitting on his ass the next three years, they maybe trying to force Whaley to quit.

Ralph would do this - the Pegs - meh they don't strike me that way....