AFC PLAYOFF Steelers Dolphins

As much as I hate Landry, he was a great pick by Miami. He's like an Andre Reed type of WR. Always seems open in the slot, always catches everything, can get open deep occasionally, fairly durable even though he just got dinged.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It almost wasn't a bad hit?!? What planet do you live on? Even if he had led with his shioulder, the deliberate violence of it -- plus the fact that it was a qb and the fact that he was entirely defenseless -- made it unconscionable. Maybe i'm alone here, but this sort of play is what i hate about the sport.

You're alone here. It was a bad hit because he led with his head. Football would suck if players didn't run and hit full speed with their shoulders.

I think Moore is still rattled by that hit, regardless of concussion protocol.

The deliberate violence of it? BS. The QB was scrambling out of the pocket. The player did what he had to do to prevent Moore from throwing past him.WrauLWa.png

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017010800/2016/POST18/dolphins@steelers#menu=drivechart|contentId%3A0ap3000000771419&tab=track

Not sure if that will link to the specific video but its there in the highlight section

You're merely proving my point with that image, at least as i see it. That said, I'm probably a fair bit less tolerant of violent dirty plays than most here, i suspect. Dupree's helmet-leading on a defenseless qb was ridiculous, and i can only shake my head at people who believe otherwise. Edited by dave mcbride

You're merely proving my point with that image, at least as i see it. That said, I'm probably a fair bit less tolerant of violent dirty plays than most here, i suspect. Dupree's helmet-leading on a defenseless qb was ridiculous, and i can only shake my head at people who believe otherwise.

You seem to take issue with the speed and "violence" of the hit, more than leading with the helmet though. Everyone agrees with the leading with the helmet being bad. If he led with his shoulder that hit is perfectly acceptable, but you disagree?

Edited by What a Tuel

You seem to take issue with the speed and "violence" of the hit, more than leading with the helmet though. Everyone agrees with the leading with the helmet being bad. If he led with his shoulder that hit is perfectly acceptable, but you disagree?

Bottom line: i believe the league should protect qbs. The nfl without good qbs is about as watchable as curling. If you let defensive players get away with this crap, the jim sorgis of the world will rule the league. That was a flat out dirty shot, and it was definitely intended to be a kill shot. People who believe otherwise are naive.

Plus let's not assume away the helmet part of it in a hypothetical. He led with his helmet ON PURPOSE, so positing some sort of alternative reality is meaningless. But even if he had led with the shoulder, i stand by what i say.

Bottom line: i believe the league should protect qbs. The nfl without good qbs is about as watchable as curling. If you let defensive players get away with this crap, the jim sorgis of the world will rule the league. That was a flat out dirty shot, and it was definitely intended to be a kill shot. People who believe otherwise are naive.

I pretty much agree with all of that. Unfortunately, QBs rolling out like that will fake a pass and run. Defenders run at them full speed, looking to hit as hard a second they can. You can't neuter them. Yes, you could kick guys out for head to head hits like that, but it better be like the colleges do it, looking at the replay and allowing the refs to change their mind. Look at that play again. Moore lowers his head several inches right before the hit in order to throw sidearm. That motion made the hit substantially worse. That doesn't deny that it was a kill shot as you say, it was. But if he keeps his head straight up and throws overhand it's possible the hit is on the breastplate and not the head.

I pretty much agree with all of that. Unfortunately, QBs rolling out like that will fake a pass and run. Defenders run at them full speed, looking to hit as hard a second they can. You can't neuter them. Yes, you could kick guys out for head to head hits like that, but it better be like the colleges do it, looking at the replay and allowing the refs to change their mind. Look at that play again. Moore lowers his head several inches right before the hit in order to throw sidearm. That motion made the hit substantially worse. That doesn't deny that it was a kill shot as you say, it was. But if he keeps his head straight up and throws overhand it's possible the hit is on the breastplate and not the head.

Good post, but you are dangerously close to blaming the victime here. :)

Good perspective on what the top end backup market is, eh?

I would bet $50 he is not right in the head right now. Shades of Trent Edwards after the AZ game.