Schefter says decision is made - Tyrod is gone

Virgil

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's where I am because what seems like the plan doesn't make any sense for Whaley. It's kind of weird.

I agree with both of you actually. My opinion has turned around a couple times by now on Whaley, and his future.

42 pages on this topic?

Tyrod is gone people! Get over it!

not till the fat lady sings !

I do think the perception about Watson being run first would not exist if he was white. He isn't run first. He is a good runner, but he is absolutely a passer first.

People had the same impressions of Geno and Teddy coming out of college - that just b/c they're black they were the next Michael Vick. Both are more pocket QB's than running QB's, not to say they can't scramble effectively. Well, Geno can't do anything effectively but thats besides the point.

And what would the record be? Not much different....

Actually, on this team this year, 15-18 more INT's from our QB position with our defense, what do you think our record would've been? I'd say no better than 4-12. We would've lost the Bengals game, the Patriots game probably, and possibly either the Rams game or Arizona game.

Schefter is pretty reliable.

Having said that, I just don't see how they could make this decision as of yet, it just doesn't make sense. You would think that they'd want to hire the new coach first and then get his input. Taking away the option of possibly having Tyrod I think could hurt us with our coaching search. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

Well, you MAY be wrong, but that sure makes sense!

Actually, on this team this year, 15-18 more INT's from our QB position with our defense, what do you think our record would've been? I'd say no better than 4-12. We would've lost the Bengals game, the Patriots game probably, and possibly either the Rams game or Arizona game.

The comment was for EJ's first year...

For this comment - it depends on who the QB was; TT absolutely we would have lot more games - he isn't bringing you back from anything... Another Qb who was accurate and actually had defenses worrying about a passing attack as well - probably close to 7-9...

As opponents this season said; there game plan was to make TT be a QB - we lost those games....

Would they have been better off keeping Fitzpatrick for another year instead of bringing in Kolb?

IMO yes, if for no other reason than because Fitz would have been around and been a mentor for EJ. EJ's floor is what he is right now: a guy who can't play football in the NFL. But people forget that the reason he stayed around is the handful of games in 2013 and 2014 where he did show flashes. It is what it is, and we can't rewrite the past, but we can change the future: if we do draft a rookie and keep Cardale, it's essential to have a smart vet with good huddle and locker room skills as well as a good "quarterback whisperer".

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

IMO yes, if for no other reason than because Fitz would have been around and been a mentor for EJ. EJ's floor is what he is right now: a guy who can't play football in the NFL. But people forget that the reason he stayed around is the handful of games in 2013 and 2014 where he did show flashes. It is what it is, and we can't rewrite the past, but we can change the future: if we do draft a rookie and keep Cardale, it's essential to have a smart vet with good huddle and locker room skills as well as a good "quarterback whisperer".

You really can't think that is what "hurt" Ej??? Ej is identical to his scouting report - which shows how spot on it actually was....

You really can't think that is what "hurt" Ej??? Ej is identical to his scouting report - which shows how spot on it actually was....

This is the fallacy of hindsight. EJ is now a bust, so people go back and cherry-pick his scouting report for the bad parts and say "I told you so". There was upside in those scouting reports too.

Exercise for the fair minded: pick 3 successful NFL QB and go back to read their scouting reports.

Wanna guess which NFL Qb had a scouting report with the line "Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral"?

Now read the scouting reports on a couple of full-out busts, such as Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf.

In hindsight, were there flags on EJ yes, absolutely. Could he have overcome them with careful developing and mentoring? All I can say is he did show flashes, and it's not unheard of for QB who had "flags" in the draft to move ahead of QB who were better thought of, given the right development and the "fire in the belly"?

This is the fallacy of hindsight. EJ is now a bust, so people go back and cherry-pick his scouting report for the bad parts and say "I told you so". There was upside in those scouting reports too.

Exercise for the fair minded: pick 3 successful NFL QB and go back to read their scouting reports.

Wanna guess which NFL Qb had a scouting report with the line "Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral"?

Now read the scouting reports on a couple of full-out busts, such as Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf.

In hindsight, were there flags on EJ yes, absolutely. Could he have overcome them with careful developing and mentoring? All I can say is he did show flashes, and it's not unheard of for QB who had "flags" in the draft to move ahead of QB who were better thought of, given the right development and the "fire in the belly"?

I wasn't trying to go back from a hindsight perspective btw; just saying that it actually turned out to be spot on...

Now from what we have seen of EJ, he could not have overcome his limitations with mentoring and developing. This is the same argument that X QB could solve his accuracy issues if we work on his mechanics and footwork...

A "Quarterback Whisperer" isn't all of a sudden going to fix a project QB. Accuracy, Football IQ (good quick decision-making), ability to move in the pocket (and throw the ball), able to anticipate throws are what it all comes down to...EJ and TT neither have these traits. We did not ruin EJ, just like we didn't ruin Losman or Edwards. These are limited QBs who the league found a blueprint on and they were not talented enough to overcome their limitations - nothing wrong with that...

Us fans get so enamored with QBs like this because the others we have had are even worse. We have no idea how to identify good quarterbacking and as fans hang on the hope that the cream of the crap will make everything better. That being said, TT could be really good on a team like Denver and help them. For us; honestly it is spinning the wheels...

Edited by Reed83HOF