Chris Berman Will No Longer Cover the NFL after this Season

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His persona grew quite a bit stale over the years... and "Football Night In America" effectively ended the "NFL Primetime" institution anyways

This is why I said what I did about Berman. Plus I can't forget his rants when he was "off camera" that been posted on YouTube over the years.

Along with Howard Cosell and Don Meredith, Berman had perhaps the biggest impact on the NFL broadcasts and viewership.

In part the NFL is what it is, in terms of viewership today. His style and perspective will always be fondly remembered. His presence at the Hall of Fame

presentations were priceless.

I will miss him but the "Schwami" says it is time to go. The Taxi driver awaits.

All these people on here bashing Berman obviously didnt watch NFL Primetime in its heyday of the late 80s to Mid 90s. It was the best highlights show on TV and Boomer and the gang had great analysis and humour to go along with it. I still remember all those great Berman "ism"s: "Rumbling, Bumbling, Stumbling" , "to that man there!!" and of course "No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills". I hope he catches on with another network if this is true.

All these people on here bashing Berman obviously didnt watch NFL Primetime in its heyday of the late 80s to Mid 90s. It was the best highlights show on TV and Boomer and the gang had great analysis and humour to go along with it. I still remember all those great Berman "ism"s: "Rumbling, Bumbling, Stumbling" , "to that man there!!" and of course "No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills". I hope he catches on with another network if this is true.

I watched all that and I enjoyed it immensely.

The shtick got old though IMO... maybe it was when he started doing the homerun derby and going over the top for that.

Imitators also wore on the act. I want to slap anyone who says "Raidahs" like that.

Not that I wanted or needed him gone... Something is going on at ESPN. NFL Primetime used to be the exclusive and universal meetingplace of all NFL fans. Now, with FNIA, a lot of people... probably most, tune in there instead. I havent watched Primetime in years if it still exists.

ESPN is evolving I guess. Into what, I dont know. A lot of the programming is garbage, like someone said: Just panelists yelling at each other.

Live sports though, ESPN is in a class of its own IMO.

Was the cab driver Ralph himself or was there someone else in the front office that specifically leaked info to Berman? I thought I read somewhere that Berman confirmed RCW after his death. Either way, its a sad day for Buffalo Sports as Berman was definitely in our corner.

pretty sure it was ralph...

they were close enough that ralph asked chris to present him for induction into hall of fame.

Haven't watched a pregame or post-game show in years.

ESPN is unwatchable with nothing but people screaming at each other to get some camera time.

if you don't watch then why comment?

pretty sure it was ralph...

they were close enough that ralph asked chris to present him for induction into hall of fame.

this was incredible, couldn't have been a better choice. The relationship was strong. The Buffalo media should take a lesson from the pro. You can always give commentary based on fact if you are respected...atta boy Chris he is truly a professional and entertaining to.

I'm not sure what ESPN's "plan" is while they continue to hemorrhage subscribers and viewers.

I was shocked at how poor the Sports Reporters show has become. The stories are garbage and about as hard hitting as a MyPillow.

I don't know why Berman stays after a demotion like that. He helped build that network into what it is today.

I watched all that and I enjoyed it immensely.

The shtick got old though IMO... maybe it was when he started doing the homerun derby and going over the top for that.

Imitators also wore on the act. I want to slap anyone who says "Raidahs" like that.

Not that I wanted or needed him gone... Something is going on at ESPN. NFL Primetime used to be the exclusive and universal meetingplace of all NFL fans. Now, with FNIA, a lot of people... probably most, tune in there instead. I havent watched Primetime in years if it still exists.

ESPN is evolving I guess. Into what, I dont know. A lot of the programming is garbage, like someone said: Just panelists yelling at each other.

Live sports though, ESPN is in a class of its own IMO.

+1

I enjoyed Berman in the NFL Primetime heyday... what Bills fan didn't love his 'nobody circles the wagons' bit? He was entertaining. His schtick did indeed get old though. His work in baseball was brutally bad... at his absolute worst at the Home Run Derby.

He was a huge part of building ESPN into the giant it is today. But when your on-air presence is a series of gags, it is bound to grow tiresome. No one would call him a serious journalist, right?

+1

I enjoyed Berman in the NFL Primetime heyday... what Bills fan didn't love his 'nobody circles the wagons' bit? He was entertaining. His schtick did indeed get old though. His work in baseball was brutally bad... at his absolute worst at the Home Run Derby.

He was a huge part of building ESPN into the giant it is today. But when your on-air presence is a series of gags, it is bound to grow tiresome. No one would call him a serious journalist, right?

Nope Berman was a classic talking head. When his shtick was tolerable he was part of the Entertainment in the name of the network.

• 1 month later...

Breaking: Sam #Ponder emerging as strong candidate 2 succeed Chris Berman as host of ESPN's'Sunday NFL Countdown.' http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sports/news/samantha-ponder-espn-chris-berman-nfl-sunday-countdown-trey-wingo-suzy-kolber-charissa-thompson-fs1/qsjp5wbz65mj1bpj2wcdh909q

Lol. Political espn strikes again.

No thanks Sam Ponder. If we can get Erin Andrews off sports that would be nice too.

What started the downward spiral at ESPN? I can't even stomach watching it and when a live event is on that is can't miss I feel dirty watching it. This is coming from someone who got used to watching Dan Patrick and all the other anchors doing the 6-7am sportscenter. Network is garbage now.

What started the downward spiral at ESPN? I can't even stomach watching it and when a live event is on that is can't miss I feel dirty watching it. This is coming from someone who got used to watching Dan Patrick and all the other anchors doing the 6-7am sportscenter. Network is garbage now.

Don't know but it's pretty much unwatchable. They suspend/fire anyone that's not a goodie two shoes.

I personally think Sam Ponder is great on College Gameday and the National game of the week coverage. Would prefer to see her on cfb but she may not want all the travel anymore.

Agreed, I really enjoy her "You Had One Job" segment.