Chris Berman Will No Longer Cover the NFL after this Season

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN is in trouble... they paid way too much for things like the NBA and MNF and are hemorrhaging subscribers. I actually just dropped ESPN and went to the "Select" package on DirecTV as I don't watch it anymore. All I need is Sunday Ticket from a sports perspective... I don't watch the NBA and don't watch college sports.

I think the real story here is that they didn't offer enough money to Berman such that he'd be willing to work full-time... and so they are going to put cheaper talent in his place in a cost cutting move.

If you are a Buffalo Bills fan, it is hard to not view this as a side day.

Chris Berman always took an interest in Buffalo and the Bills. It was great having him around. It is too bad that, in the past 17 years, we have not been as successful as when he started to take an interest in our team and the years after.

ESPN is in trouble... they paid way too much for things like the NBA and MNF and are hemorrhaging subscribers. I actually just dropped ESPN and went to the "Select" package on DirecTV as I don't watch it anymore. All I need is Sunday Ticket from a sports perspective... I don't watch the NBA and don't watch college sports.

I think the real story here is that they didn't offer enough money to Berman such that he'd be willing to work full-time... and so they are going to put cheaper talent in his place in a cost cutting move.

Hmmm - there must be differences in the packages by region / area. The "Select" package in Columbus does not offer Sunday Ticket. Have to go to the "Choice" package.

He didn't meet the quota for incoherent wrestler voice shouting on the broadcast.

ESPN is tailoring its programming towards the younger generation - that doesn't watch television. Bad move.

The generation that happens to keep television around is seeing all the people it likes and knows replaced by poorly trained television personalities/former NFL players.

I watched a mid-80s CBS broadcast of THE NFL TODAY the other night that had Brent Musburger, Dick Butkus with some awesome hair and Irv Cross for in studio commentary. It was Masterpiece Theater in comparison to today's shows. No yelling, no lifetime stories and bonafide real analysis.

Edited by dpberr