The Deep State War Heats Up :ph34r:

44 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Now please name four concrete policies or actions that you’re critical of the President on. And the content of his tweets doesn’t count!

1.Pushing and signing off on recent budget.

2. Tax cut without spending cuts in excess of tax cuts.

3. Veto of Saudi arms sales embargo

4 - Tear down of ACA (which was fine) without anything in its place

Generally, his isolationism (except as noted below) is a big problem as well. 

On the positive side, I'll give his 4 best:

1- China (I could list this as 1-4 because this is my runaway favorite). Trade disparity, IP theft, currency manipulation--the economic wins here are worth fighting for. He's yet to show he can win the regional influence war in Asia so I'd watch that. 

2 - Broadly, peace. Trump is getting us disentangled from a lot of war zones and his willingness to talk to the crazy ***** helps peace

3 - Immigration, kind of. He has floundered around looking for solutions on this starting with some ideas that were stupid (the wall) and landing more recently on interesting ideas to pressure Mexico to be the buffer. It's not a high priority (for me) and he's spending way too much time on it but there may be progress there. 

4 - Judicial appointments. Setting aside the two SC judges, he's remaking the courts in a great way. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

I always have. 

But you probably think because I'm critical of Trump on some things,

1 - I want him impeached. 

2 - I think he’s a racist. 

3 - I voted for Hillary. 

4 - I believe Obama was a great president. 

Etc. 

No, I never said or thought that. 

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

Generally, his isolationism (except as noted below) is a big problem as well. 

On the positive side, I'll give his 4 best:

1- China (I could list this as 1-4 because this is my runaway favorite). Trade disparity, IP theft, currency manipulation--the economic wins here are worth fighting for. He's yet to show he can win the regional influence war in Asia so I'd watch that. 

2 - Broadly, peace. Trump is getting us disentangled from a lot of war zones and his willingness to talk to the crazy ***** helps peace

3 - Immigration, kind of. He has floundered around looking for solutions on this starting with some ideas that were stupid (the wall) and landing more recently on interesting ideas to pressure Mexico to be the buffer. It's not a high priority (for me) and he's spending way too much time on it but there may be progress there. 

4 - Judicial appointments. Setting aside the two SC judges, he's remaking the courts in a great way. 

There is nothing "fine" about the ACA. It has contributed significantly to double digit annual rate hikes and the rise in deductibles for private insurance due to mandated coverages,  and the increase in government funded (Medicaid) care which forces providers to accept way below market rates.  It's a cluster _ _ _ _. 

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

Thanks for taking the challenge. So it sounds like your biggest problems are national fiscal policy? That’s fair, but as one of those who’s paying for more than my ‘fair share’ I don’t hold the same concerns. I’d rather see people employed! I’ll depend on Congress, not the President, to cut spending. It’s their job!

41 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

There is nothing "fine" about the ACA. It has contributed significantly to double digit annual rate hikes and the rise in deductibles for private insurance due to mandated coverages,  and the increase in government funded (Medicaid) care which forces providers to accept way below market rates.  It's a cluster _ _ _ _. 

To be clear, I was saying that his tearing of the ACA down was fine. 

And for the record, the double digit increases were happening before and after the ACA. The ACA didn’t cause them. It just did nothing to affect them. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks for taking the challenge. So it sounds like your biggest problems are national fiscal policy? That’s fair, but as one of those who’s paying for more than my ‘fair share’ I don’t hold the same concerns. I’d rather see people employed! I’ll depend on Congress, not the President, to cut spending. It’s their job!

I care about our future. Borrowing to get the BMW now is a bad deal for my kids. 

I own businesses and am very much in touch with my tax bill. I am happy to pay less but I see zero fiscal responsibility from Trump. 

10 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

I care about our future. Borrowing to get the BMW now is a bad deal for my kids. 

I own businesses and am very much in touch with my tax bill. I am happy to pay less but I see zero fiscal responsibility from Trump. 

Once again you and I agree... but from one business owner to another I didn’t sign up to be the only one paying for all of this ridiculous spending! Obama raised my taxes because he said my country needed it during the recession. I didn’t complain. Now with the recession long ago over Trump put the rate back where it was. Sounds right to me. Now it’s time for Congress to start slashing...but they won’t. 

30 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Once again you and I agree... but from one business owner to another I didn’t sign up to be the only one paying for all of this ridiculous spending! Obama raised my taxes because he said my country needed it during the recession. I didn’t complain. Now with the recession long ago over Trump put the rate back where it was. Sounds right to me. Now it’s time for Congress to start slashing...but they won’t. 

Happy to lay blame wherever it needs to be laid. Congress too. But you asked about what I disliked most about Trump’s policies outside his general poor leadership so there it is. 

57 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Why is Wray being an obstructionist?

Not sure whether or not he is to be honest. Even if he's canned, which is what some outlets are saying is coming, I'm not sure that will be definitive either. The spooky side of this ongoing story is littered with disinformation. Some people have been tapped to do a job, then step aside (example: Sessions, Coats) for the long term replacement to come in and pick up the rest. 

1 minute ago, Hedge said:

I haven't seen anything yet. We have seen a bunch of stuff hit the wire after closing time on the east coast, however, so there are quite a few hours left. We shall see!

thanks. i just wanted to be sure i hadn't missed 'em somehow.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:49 AM, BeginnersMind said:

To be clear, I was saying that his tearing of the ACA down was fine. 

And for the record, the double digit increases were happening before and after the ACA. The ACA didn’t cause them. It just did nothing to affect them. 

I too own a business and our experience here in Illinois is that the premium increases for health insurance have ratcheted up significantly since about 2011.  We certainly had increases before then and above inflation but nothing like what we've seen since Obamacare which mandated additional coverages we didn't want to buy, rates families of 6 the same as families of 3 (that might be Illinois law only, don't know) and caused private insurers to increase rates to cover additional Medicaid recipients and subsidized individuals.  We've had at least 4 years since then with 20+% and even above 30% annual increases.  That and we've been subjected to the Obamacare tax. 

It's been very painful for the company and the employees here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/30/2019 at 7:15 AM, BeginnersMind said:

I always have. 

But you probably think because I'm critical of Trump on some things,

1 - I want him impeached. 

2 - I think he’s a racist. 

3 - I voted for Hillary. 

4 - I believe Obama was a great president. 

Etc. 

Four reasons I think you are mentally deranged.?

• Like (+1) 1