Don't understand all the fuss about Whaley and Pegs

Rex reported directly to the owner. Whaley was not in full command of the organization. Is this really any different than in many places in some for or another? Do people really think the GM just sits back and signs and drafts whatever players he feels like without the input of the HC? How many owners just sit back and let the GM pick the HC without final say?

Organizations almost never have a purely vertical structure any more. They are blends of horizontal and vertical reporting often with dyads forming a team for decision making. There are few if any decisions that can and should be made by one person.

The Bills are far from dysfunctional when in comes to organizational structure. The media is just using an antiquated lens to look at the organization. You can argue/debate that the people in the organization may not be qualified to make these decisions but there is nothing wrong with have a GM/HC dyad structure of management. There really are very few decisions from player personnel, the draft, free agency, or final roster make-up that can't be made by consensus.

All this media huff will blow over. This is more about them living in the past than it is about the Bills.

Take Polian for instance. He had all the power in Indianapolis and year after year he let the talent get worse propped up only by Peyton Manning. He should be the last guy telling people how to run a modern organization.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The media is full of people who aren't too bright. I'm not saying it is true of all of them but certainly less than 50% of those reporting on the Bills are smart enough to read between the lines and most are easily turned into useful idiots.

With so much flare up about such a small matter part of me wonders if Pegula is being hazed, not by these idiot reporters but by their puppet masters. Ralph snookered these guys and helped keep the a Bills in Buffalo much to the dismay of people like the drunken Kraft who was just waiting for Ralph to die and get his boy Bon Jersey a team in Toronto. We didn't think Pegula would avoid a litltle payback from some of the more vindictive types did we?

The people are angry and upset (and rarely as smart as they think they are).

Whoever heard of getting so riled up over press conferences and reporting structures. Everyone knew Rex had to go. Everyone knew that Tyrod was sitting a meaningless game due to injury risk. I don't understand the ire over any of this. Just a lot of sound and fury.

Whoever heard of getting so riled up over press conferences and reporting structures. Everyone knew Rex had to go. Everyone knew that Tyrod was sitting a meaningless game due to injury risk. I don't understand the ire over any of this. Just a lot of sound and fury.

It all started with Whaley not holding a press conference when the media wanted him to. It snowballed from there when he didn't give them the answers they wanted.

For example they were looking for either a "I was not 100% behind the Rex Ryan hire", or an "I was 100% behind the Rex Ryan hire" quote.

They were also looking for a "Yes, I convinced Pegula to fire Rex" quote, or an "despite poor performance I wanted to give Rex Ryan and this organization continuity" quote.

All the while calling the Pegula's bozos on the side.

Edited by What a Tuel

Worst of all, the media had two years to overreact to the fact that Rex only answered to the Pegulas and not the GM. After Rex's got fired they bombarded the guy that couldn't get Rex fired. (I don't care about press conference performances)

Rex reported directly to the owner. Whaley was not in full command of the organization. Is this really any different than in many places in some for or another? Do people really think the GM just sits back and signs and drafts whatever players he feels like without the input of the HC? How many owners just sit back and let the GM pick the HC without final say?

Organizations almost never have a purely vertical structure any more. They are blends of horizontal and vertical reporting often with dyads forming a team for decision making. There are few if any decisions that can and should be made by one person.

The Bills are far from dysfunctional when in comes to organizational structure. The media is just using an antiquated lens to look at the organization. You can argue/debate that the people in the organization may not be qualified to make these decisions but there is nothing wrong with have a GM/HC dyad structure of management. There really are very few decisions from player personnel, the draft, free agency, or final roster make-up that can't be made by consensus.

All this media huff will blow over. This is more about them living in the past than it is about the Bills.

Take Polian for instance. He had all the power in Indianapolis and year after year he let the talent get worse propped up only by Peyton Manning. He should be the last guy telling people how to run a modern organization.

Fail.

Exactly. The part that disappoints me is all the people who buy into this media crap.

Exactly. The part that disappoints me is all the people who buy into this media crap.

I have literally laughed out loud at some of the national folks who just want to pile on the "dumpster fire", surrounded by totally inaccurate statements about the team and it's history. I guess the bashing is trendy and gets ratings.

Worst of all, the media had two years to overreact to the fact that Rex only answered to the Pegulas and not the GM. After Rex's got fired they bombarded the guy that couldn't get Rex fired. (I don't care about press conference performances)

my favorite question in the presser was "so is it safe to assume that Rex reported directly to the Pegulas?"

What a waste of time!

I have literally laughed out loud at some of the national folks who just want to pile on the "dumpster fire", surrounded by totally inaccurate statements about the team and it's history. I guess the bashing is trendy and gets ratings.

Just listen to John Clayton on his weekly GR visits. These guys don't know crap about the Bills.

The media is full of petty people who have a vendetta against the Bills and the Pegula's and use every opportunity to show it. Then they wonder why true professional's like John Wawrow are the one's getting the interviews and the breaking stories. Is it not strange to anyone else that local beat reporters are almost NEVER the ones to break a Bills story? How the hell does Maneesh Mehta, a New York Jets beat reporter break a story about Sammy being out for an extended period of tim and not one of the people surrounding the team??

Maybe if they'd stop looking for things to dig up and make up they'd actually see what was really happening and report on it instead of giving their one sided conjecture that is laughably wrong most times and obviously bitter...

Edited by matter2003

Meanwhile in SD, the HC did report to the GM. The GM recommended to the owner that the HC not be fired, and the owner fired him anyway. Then the GM held the press conference with the owners son and pretended he wasn't just railroaded out of his decision making power.

Exactly...all this garbage being spewed around here is ridiculous. People over analyzing the press conferences is stupid. Rex told the owner if you are going to go in a different direction then lets do it now...and so they did. Pretty simple really.

Funny a lot of people complaining were the same people praising the Cowboys FO which is full of ownership meddling.

Bottom line is simple. Rex is out. Whaley has been given the power to pick the next HC himself. He isn't just going to give the reigns to Lynn by default as his future is also tied to this choice and is going to do all the due diligence he needs to in order to make what he feels is the best choice for this team.

All the other stuff is just media hoopla. Of the 6 positions open, we are the 2nd best one available behind only Denver. SF and Jax are a mess, Rams are stuck with a QB most people are split on in Goff and a terrible OL and lack of talent at WR, and SD best talent is at the tail end of their careers in Gates and Rivers. Denver and the Bills are the two teams that can compete right out the gate.

I was listening to the presser and thinking holy crap, these guys are talking about when a phone call was made or who said what to who like it's the Senate Watergate Hearings or the Nuremberg Trials - as if any of this crap really matters.

Meanwhile in SD, the HC did report to the GM. The GM recommended to the owner that the HC not be fired, and the owner fired him anyway. Then the GM held the press conference with the owners son and pretended he wasn't just railroaded out of his decision making power.

Oh, the humanity!

The media is full of people who aren't too bright. I'm not saying it is true of all of them but certainly less than 50% of those reporting on the Bills are smart enough to read between the lines and most are easily turned into useful idiots.

With so much flare up about such a small matter part of me wonders if Pegula is being hazed, not by these idiot reporters but by their puppet masters. Ralph snookered these guys and helped keep the a Bills in Buffalo much to the dismay of people like the drunken Kraft who was just waiting for Ralph to die and get his boy Bon Jersey a team in Toronto. We didn't think Pegula would avoid a litltle payback from some of the more vindictive types did we?

This is correct