Nobody wants to hear this now, but this is how close we are

I know I sound like Doug Whaley in this thread, but this is how close the Bills are to being a perennial 10-6/11-5 team if we stay the course on offense, improve the defense, and play smarter with better coaching.

Since 2015, the Chiefs are 15 - 1 in games where they score 25 points or more. Five of those 16 games were 1 score games. So the majority of their wins when they score 25 or more end up being blowouts.

Since 2015, the Bills are 9 - 8 in games where they score 25 points or more. 6 of our losses (75% of our losses) in those 17 games were by 1 score.

We're 15-17 in that 2 year stretch and the Chiefs are 23 - 9. Only looking at these games, had the Chiefs done as badly as us in such games (say they go 9-7), they would have about the same record as us during the same 2yr stretch.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I sound like Doug Whaley in this thread, but this is how close the Bills are to being a perennial 10-6/11-5 team if we stay the course on offense, improve the defense, and play smarter with better coaching.

Since 2015, the Chiefs are 15 - 1 in games where they score 25 points or more. Five of those 16 games were 1 score games. So the majority of their wins when they score 25 or more end up being blowouts.

Since 2015, the Bills are 9 - 8 in games where they score 25 points or more. 6 of our losses (75% of our losses) in those 17 games were by 1 score.

We're 15-17 in that 2 year stretch and the Chiefs are 23 - 9. Only looking at these games, had the Chiefs done as badly as us in such games (say they go 9-7), they would have about the same record as us during the same 2yr stretch.

Pretty simple. OUr defense has sucked. It's basically half of the game. KC also has far, far better STs than us.

So why do they win those games and we lose them? Not just a coincidence or statistical anomaly!?

They seem to make game changing plays on defense. Not just 3rd down incompletions, but game changing big plays and takeaways. ST plays as well

I think theres alot more to the comparison than just defense and special teams. They have far better coaching, a better QB, and a roster loaded with hyper competitive players.

We have guys falling asleep in meetings.

They seem to make game changing plays on defense. Not just 3rd down incompletions, but game changing big plays and takeaways. ST plays as well

Pretty much. The chiefs are well coached, limit stupid plays and penalties, and make big time defensive/ST plays. We dont. Thats the difference in a nutshell. Goal #1 is to imrpove the coaching.

The Chiefs don't beat themselves. A couple of times over the past few years, the Bills generally outplayed the Chiefs but lost by screwing up. Was it Boobie Dixon who fumbled at the goal line? The Chiefs don't do stupid stuff like that.

The Bills used to make those big time D/ST plays, under Wrecks' predecessor. And they would still lose to the Chiefs. Now they don't even get those big time plays.

The more I think about TT the more convinced I am that we should accept his shortcomings and figure out how to win with him. He can consistently get this offense to produce 24 points a game. Why should that not be enough to win? In this league, that kind of O production should win 3/4 of the time. The things he doesn't do well, like throwing a receiver open, are real limitations, but how many QBs in the league don't have some limitations? TT is not the problem.

KC's D/ST units have been far better in the two year span. They supplement scoring from both of those units with K/PR TDs as well as defensive TDs.

Andy Reid > Rex Ryan

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I do actually think we're close. Injuries have crippled us as well.

With a half-competent defense, and some improvement on special teams, I think we'd be in good position. I was frustrated with TT this year, but I think he should be the guy going forward -- and certainly because there is nobody better to replace him with.

Pretty much. The chiefs are well coached, limit stupid plays and penalties, and make big time defensive/ST plays. We dont. Thats the difference in a nutshell. Goal #1 is to imrpove the coaching.

using 2015-16 stats

PTS/YDS/TOs/PEN

KCoff/794/10787/32/1726

BUFoff/778/11441/31/2209

KCdef/598/11165/62

BUFdef/737/11414/43

Of course RED ZONE PERF by the defense, and lack of turnovers forced, and penalties, and special teams

All trademarks of a well-coached squad maximizing their ability, with perhaps a but of luck, and not beating themselves

A team that is 23-9 vs a team that is 15-17 is more than just talent. The Chiefs may have a bit more talent than Bills, but not as much as people think. But, they are well coached, fundamentally sound, and let the other team beat themselves. And, they are also able to hang into close games against teams with equal or better talent.

To deny Club Rex is problem number 1 is to deny reality.

Edited by horned dogs

I'm too busy at work to look it up, but I would also gather they they do not go 3 and out as often as we do and can string some drives together to take some time off of the clock as well...They are not the home run or 3 and out machine we are

I'm too busy at work to look it up, but I would also gather they they do not go 3 and out as often as we do and can string some drives together to take some time off of the clock as well...They are not the home run or 3 and out machine we are

Correct, we need to improve on that. However, as has been stated in numerous other posts, there is very little correlation between 3 and outs and TEAM success. The Patriots, Giants, Dolphins, Broncos are all worse than us in that regard (yes, the Patriots rank below us); and we're within 1% point of Oakland, Titans, and Lions.

4 of the Top 5 teams in the category didn't make the playoffs: Redskins, Saints, Panthers, Chargers.

Based on the NFL Offensive Drive Statistics we were worse than KC last year, but slightly better this year.

2015:

BUF - 36.8% of drives ended as 3&Out or a turnover (.279 3&O; .089TO), resulting in an average drive time of 2:46

KC - 29.9% of drives ended as 3&Out or a turnover (.226 3&O; .073TO), resulting in an average drive time of 2:47

2016:

BUF - 28.7% of drives ended as 3&Out or a turnover (.218 3&O; .069TO), resulting in an average drive time of 2:43

KC - 29.3% of drives ended as a 3&Out or a turnover (.199 3&O; .094TO), resulting in an average drive time of 2:51

Plus, KC often scores 2 point conversions on blocked kicks or botched two point conversions on the last play of the game to win. I think they did it twice this year.

Often. Twice this year.

We often beat the Pats backups. It happened once this year.

Edited by FireChan