Nobody wants to hear this now, but this is how close we are

Every off-season some fans assume the team can only improve and there's no way they'll regress. Yet going from 7/8 wins to 10/11 is never just a simple thing and if it was the Bills would have made that leap by now.

I'm pretty sure we will end up in the 4-6 win bucket next year just looking at the talent on this team, players aging, and the looming changes coming with FA and our ability to fill those voids. I just don't see enough left over to get us past the 7 wins we had this year....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, Toub should have been on the Bills list to interview...his STs have been absolutely stellar since going to KC and so good, his ability to coach that portion of the team - that truly makes a difference should get a look.

To me, Toub should have been on the Bills list to interview...his STs have been absolutely stellar since going to KC and so good, his ability to coach that portion of the team - that truly makes a difference should get a look.

We ain't smart enough to interview this guy. I think he would actually be the best hire out of all the candidates.

I'm surprised he isn't...

There are 3 key reasons:

1. Our Defense - I am not calling it Rex's defense, because that just puts all the blame on Rex and disregards the complete lack of tackling when our guys WERE in position to make plays in Rex's defense and just didn't. It disregards the stupidity of dumb penalties by Hughes and others that were on them, not the scheme. It disregards the bone head Marcel for getting suspended and turning up out of shape causing him to miss even more time. Im NOT absolving Rex, but I am also not giving our players a free pass on the countless times they just flat out blew it, and its more than anyone can count over the 2 years. Not having Shaq for the preseason and first half the year and not having Rags the whole season also didn't do us any favors.

2. Carpenter - This guy has cost us plenty the last 2 years. How many times did his DOUBLE DIGIT missed XP's impact the end of games where we needed a TD rather than a FG? How many times did his missed FG's cost us big? I mean he has GOT TO GO. Its really hard to win close games when your kicker struggles as much as he has the last 2 years. There have been several games where a FG would have won or tied the game for us (and we got to FG position) but Carpenters earlier misses on either XP or FG's put us down by 4 or more and we needed a TD instead.

3. Ref mistakes - Now this ONLY really cost us 2 games in the last years in my eyes. Every team deals with bad calls that go against them and also in their favor. But 2 games were directly stolen from us by not just bad calls, but atrocious and inexcusable referee mistakes and when you are talking about how close we are, those matter a lot. Those 2 games were the Giants game last year where the refs stole TD's from us multiple times on phantom calls that cost us the game and this year in Seattle. There is a lot that goes into a win or loss, but in both those games the mistakes made by the refs undeniably impacted the outcome of the game where we almost certainly win without.

This team is close, so I really hope we don't blow the whole thing up. I think the last week of the season showed just how much of a mistake it would be to let Taylor go. He is good enough to lead us into the playoffs as we were one of the highest scoring teams in the league once Roman was let go. Going into next year, we have a lot to look forward to and build upon:

1. We will have our top 2 draft picks from this past season back at full strength in ready to make a big impact in Shaq (who has looked promising) and Rags (who was off to an impressive start before the injury), so that alone should boost the D.

2. A potentially better defensive scheme under new coaching.

3. Marcel for the whole season (assuming he doesnt do something dumb again)

4. A healthy Watkins (assuming this surgery goes well and doesnt creat more setbacks)

5. Our top 2 draft picks from this past draft back and healthy ready to make a big impact on D (Shaq has looked the part so far and Rags was looking the part before the injury, a lot to be excited about with those 2).

Now add in some potential help coming via FA and the draft at WR and Safety and we have the makings of a run again next year as we damn near made one the last 2 years despite all the issues with the D and injuries.

So bringing back Taylor IMO is the right choice, as he and the offense did enough this year even with our best weapons often hurt or out for large portions of the season. With all that in place, we should be looking at a potentially good season next year assuming we don't get smashed with injuries to our best players again or lose them to suspensions.

I honestly believe and would argue that we are the 2nd most attractive job opening in the NFL right now behind only Denver who has a lot of talent overall but is missing a QB.

Perfect post. #1 especially. Coach can't tackle; only players. Somebody posted some stats on Carpenter and it was surprising to see that he's about middle of the pack. not the worst, but certainly not the best. Time for some real competition.