Kim Pegula Weighs In

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least you've addressed a point I've actually made. Good start.

These guys aren't deaf and blind. If they only hear negative things about Buffalo for years and years on end, about its dysfunction, losing culture etc etc, I can't imagine they'd be too excited to come here. It's human nature.

I'm not saying it's end all be all, but I think it's ridiculous to say if the choice is between a better run organization and this one all other things being equal, that's not gonna make a difference.

Free Agents want one thing. Money.

I would be hard pressed to think they give two schits about anything else; especially a bunch of bush league reporters in western NY.

I would be hard pressed to think they give two schits about anything else; especially a bunch of bush league reporters in western NY.

That is so obvious, how do so many miss it?

then obviously the next thing on the list is how the gm conducts himself in a press scrum with local media.

Or perception of the franchise, which is affected by that national guys calling us dysfunctional and ridiculing the GM dog and pony show.

Didn't you once say that Whaley was one of the most intelligent people one could ever meet? :flirt:

I think your fondness for Whaley colors your take on his situation.

This isn't a fresh start for DW.

No. I didn't. I said he was not a dupe as some were suggesting and that he's obviously quite intelligent if you're talking to him. Then again a lot of people are quite intelligent, unfortunately too few here. ;)

I like Whaley. I think he should stay. This is his last chance. He's obviously made some mistakes. A lot of his moves haven't panned out for a variety of reasons. I don't necessarily think Marrone or Rex was his first choice. I do think he was perfectly okay with the hires though. Those two things can coexist.

I think he was lying through his teeth in the press conference a few times. But I stated before it happens that we weren't going to get any information out of it and we really didn't. I do think he got Rex the kind of players and some specific players that Rex asked for, so a coach in this league would recognize that.

The money is going to be there if they are good. Then the question is one of the quality of the team, including players, coaches, FO and ownership. And of course, the chances of getting a ring. Last and certainly least is location. Assuming the money is equal the Bills don't fare well on everything else at the moment. The players themselves probably don't look at the media much, but I strongly suspect their agents do and it does factor in when evaluating everything but the money.

The money is going to be there if they are good. Then the question is one of the quality of the team, including players, coaches, FO and ownership. And of course, the chances of getting a ring. Last and certainly least is location. Assuming the money is equal the Bills don't fare well on everything else at the moment. The players themselves probably don't look at the media much, but I strongly suspect their agents do and it does factor in when evaluating everything but the money.

When is the money ever equal? They go to the highest bidder.

And I would also argue that the Bills' roster has more talent than any team with a current HC vacancy.

When is the money ever equal? They go to the highest bidder.

And I would also argue that the Bills' roster has more talent than any team with a current HC vacancy.

In the Super Mario case where a team was willing to grossly overpay like the Bills did yes you are correct. He certainly wasn't turning that offer down. But in most cases the money is going to be relatively equal team to team. The cap sees to that. Yeah the 7-9 Bills who haven't been close to the playoffs for 17 years reeks of talent to be sure. The Bills have some players, Shady at the top of the list. But there was more wrong with the team this year than just coaching. Bills blinders can make us think crazy things. Agents aren't blinded that way.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Let's get serious! What did you expect Whaley to say at the presser announcing that Rex the big talker was hired? He said the same platitudes that every other GM would say of an owner's hiring that he was not most responsible for. And he continued with the formula platitudes while he was coaching because it would be foolish to publicly undercut the HC, even though there were rampant rumors that Whaley and Rex didn't have a close relationship.

The structure of the communication whereby the HC reported to the owner instead of the GM is telling. The GM went along with the hire but he wasn't the person he wanted hired for the job. Did Whaley agree to the hire of the new owners. Of course he did. But that is far from being enthusiastic about a hire he would not have made if he was the person making the hire.

If you want to criticize Whaley for not being more aggressive in challenging the owners selection then that is a valid criticism. But the fact that the owners publicly came out announcing that this next hire is solely his to make (with the approval of the owners) is a clear indication that that wasn't the same process that happened with the Rex hire.

Solely his to make, with the approval of the owners...lol. OK!

John, Whaley's words were not mere platitudes--read them again.

Also, how do you know that Rex was absolutely not the one Whaley wanted?

No. I didn't. I said he was not a dupe as some were suggesting and that he's obviously quite intelligent if you're talking to him. Then again a lot of people are quite intelligent, unfortunately too few here. ;)

I like Whaley. I think he should stay. This is his last chance. He's obviously made some mistakes. A lot of his moves haven't panned out for a variety of reasons. I don't necessarily think Marrone or Rex was his first choice. I do think he was perfectly okay with the hires though. Those two things can coexist.

I think he was lying through his teeth in the press conference a few times. But I stated before it happens that we weren't going to get any information out of it and we really didn't. I do think he got Rex the kind of players and some specific players that Rex asked for, so a coach in this league would recognize that.

I'm a Whaley supporter. Overall, I think he has done a good job. Where he has faltered is securing a good qb, either through the draft or free agency, that will enable his assembled roster to get over the hump into the playoffs.

Is TT a viable option? Right now he is our best option but there are limitations to his game that I'm not sure can be overcome. My major criticism with Whaley is that although he is not afraid to make bold decisions, such as giving up a first round pick for Watkins, he hasn't demonstrated the same boldness in his quest for a long term franchise qb.

The bottom line is what mostly makes a GM a good or failed GM is his success in finding a quality qb. So far that is an issue that is bringing his evaluation down.

Solely his to make, with the approval of the owners...lol. OK!

John, Whaley's words were not mere platitudes--read them again.

Also, how do you know that Rex was absolutely not the one Whaley wanted?

With respect to the first highlight Whaley is making the selection as the owner stated. However, if the man signing the check for some reason is opposed to the selection (highly unlikely in this case) he has the final say. The boss is the boss.

With respect to the second highlight there were numerous reports that DW's preference was Hue Jackson. It's clear to me (obviously not to you) that Whaley was not enamored with Rex as the selection. Can I conclusively prove it? No. Nor you can conclusively prove that Rex was Whaley's first choice. I'm very comfortable and confident of my position on this issue. :thumbsup:

Why does anybody guess at who the next coach is? All these wasted posts. It's so obvious it's going to be Lynn. There is NO suspense here at all. Remember this if anyone wants to doubt it. It's already decided.

If true.. THIS BLOWS.... Wasn't he a running backs coach like 5 freakin' minutes ago? Goin' from that to HC is quite a leap... Too much of a leap IMWO.

If true.. THIS BLOWS.... Wasn't he a running backs coach like 5 freakin' minutes ago? Goin' from that to HC is quite a leap... Too much of a leap IMWO.'

Harbaugh for the Ravens was a special teams coach when he was hired.

Marv Levy was a special teams coach for KC when Polian selected him to be the Bills HC.

Edited by JohnC