GM Doug Whaley's end of season press conference

Rico

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that.

I suppose my question is why keep pushing on the Rex issue. For me, I don't care about the how's and why's of Rex's firing. He needed to go, I think that was obvious. They just seemed to interested in the process of firing Rex.

And it's odd because last week it was the TT benching. They asked a hand full of questions about TT.

Good question. My 100% guess is that Whaley left blood in the shark infested water.

I don't have much sympathy, frankly. He's had almost a week to get his story prepared. He had to know they were going to ask about Rex. Being or feigning cluelessness was IMHO the wrong approach.

But he made the decision, as did the Pegulas who didn't have enough respect for Whaley to even tell him why. So they should be answering the questions, they're the only ones with the answers. The owners made Whaley look weak.

Pasta, this may come as a shock but employees take bullets for their employers.

He asked what many fans would like to know, just what do you do as GM since the Pegulas seem to have cut you out of major decisions. What else do they decide without consulting you?

The Pegulas and Whaley came out and said exactly what Whaley would do. He would be entirely responsible for the 53 man roster. What that means in the real world is that he will work with the coach to find players that fit what the HC needs but that final decision on the 53 will be Whaley's. That's what most NFL GMs do. He would also be responsible for the overall salary cap. Not negotiating contracts but as the overall buck stops here. That's another top GM role. He wouldn't be overseeing the HC. Some GMs do and some don't. Most still do. But it was made very clear right from the start what the duties would be and they never wavered and he repeated them two years later today.

And I'll say that he covered for the Pegula's by not answering if rex was his choice and then later said he was. Ended up taking more heat for it but was a smart move for sure to keep in their good graces.

I believe he actually said he approved the choice of Rex, not that Rex was his choice or his first choice. Subtle but significant difference.

I believe he actually said he approved the choice of Rex, not that Rex was his choice or his first choice. Subtle but significant difference.

I feel like the question was "Was rex your recommendation?" It might have been at a different time but all the same, I'm pretty sure everyone knows he was high on Jackson.

I've long-hated Doug Marrone...but is it any wonder he quit? And he was paid to quit and walk away from this mess!

Oh, brother. Doug Marrone quit because he lost a power play (to have his coaching assistants extended and to have more control after Polian came in and fired Whaley) and he thought he saw greener grass he could walk to.

Whaley didn't hire Rex. Whaley wouldn't have hired Rex. The Pegula's hired Rex. Rex reported to the Pegulas. The Pegulas fired Rex. The Pegulas have now instructed Whaley to hire the next coach of the team and he will do so (Pegulas will need to sign off of course, but they will sign the line for whoever Whaley picks this time).

Pretty brutal presser where almost all the questions were about Whaley's job and what he does and doesn't do...but it's obvious he works for Terry and does whatever the hell Terry tells him to do! IDK what more the reporters in the room needed to hear lol.

Granted, they did eventually push Whaley so far in the corner he had to just say "yes" when asked if he approved of the Rex hire ("yes, it was a Bills hire, so yes"), but it couldn't be more clear that it wasn't his hire and the next coach will be his hire.

What is the one conclusion I can reach based on the only information I gained from that presser? Lynn is not likely to be our next HC.